Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I hate Terry Pratchet's books.

I have never been able to make it all the way through A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I also found 2001: A space odyssey quite boring, though admittedly, I was very young the last time I tried watching it.

I used to prefer Image comics to either Marvel or DC. It makes sense though because I got into comics at the very beginning of the Iron age.

I had sex as a teenager

A lot of this geek-cred posturing doesn't make sense if you factor in the ages of posters.

Don't like Twilight, didn't read Harry Potter? And you're in your 40s?

shocked.

I'm in that age range and I didn't care much for Tolkien's trilogy. (although I rather liked the Hobbit - I chalk that up to being introduced to it via the oversized book based on the Rankin-Bass animated movie artwork) That gets me a lot of stink eye from my contemporaries at lit-cons.

What gets me more grief from geeks my age is that I'm a sports fan. Most geeks my age despise organized sports due to horrible memories of being bullied by jocks in high school or something.

I've always gotten bored with Isaac Asimov's books; I could never finish any of them. I hardly read fantasy or science fiction anymore.

I gave up on Voyager and Enterprise, although I watched TNG and DS9 to the end.

I never got into Buffy or Angel. Firefly was the only series by Joss Whedon that held my interest, and I disliked it at first.

I don't care for video games. I used to, but I got bored with them.

I don't buy comic books anymore, aslthough I bought a few series. I borrow a few issues once in a while from my sister, who enjoys reading them.

I refuse to join Facebook, Twitter, or anything of that sort.

I don't play MMOs.

I couldn't care less about LARPING.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

I stopped collecting comic books two years ago.

I honestly believe that I don't spend enough time outdoors.

I commute to and from work for an hour each day, and work in retail for an extremely conservative company. I'm not a slacker of any sort, and work 60 hours during the summer, and about 100 during the busy season. I don't have a computer job, an engineering job, or any of those other jobs you would expect a game designer to have. Except that being a game designer makes me really good at math, so that there's a lot of skill overlap.

Orcus isn't on my mantel because he's cool. Orcus is on my mantel because he infuriates religious people who come asking for donations.

My casual dress is a sportjacket and pants. I wear a suit almost everywhere. If I am totally dressed down and not wearing that stuff, I actually don't feel normal except in my own house.

He makes the main character's life difficult in so many ways it'll make your head spin. He doesn't need the magic and technology thing to do that in the least' date=' as Dresden manages to get himself into multiple life and death fixes in every book due to his own personality quirks, whether stubbornness, pride, contrariness, or nobility. The magic vs technology thing is just setting fluff.[/quote']

While it’s true that Harry did get himself into a lot of trouble (I read four or five books before I gave up on the series) that right there bugged the hell out of me as well. I don’t mind flawed characters but Harry was so stupid for a smart guy I really can’t believe he survived childhood.

I actually haven't read any of The Dresden Chronicles, which is especially damaging to my cred as my house is full of them because my wife loves Harry. She actually came at it backwards though, watching the SciFi show first on Hulu, ranting loudly about its short life and then reading the books to scratch the itch.

I read Harry Potter because my wife is such a fan (woman seems to have a Harry thing) and they only take about 3-4 hours to read. They're ok but Harry is the least interesting character of the series by far.

I don't use or have any interest in Facebook or Twitter (noting that this one seems to have cropped up a lot here).

I like all of the Trek series. Yes, all of them.

Never watched ANY Doctor Who. Ever. Nothing against the show or its fans, just the way things turned out.

I think "old" BSG was infinitely better than nuBSG. Yes, the former was incredibly cheezy, but the latter was ... I won't say it.

I think H Beam Piper was one of SF's greatest writers, but so far haven't read any of his 'Fuzzy' books / stories (which arguably are what he is most famous for).

There are a lot of SF "classics" that I haven't read.

I don't ####ing care if Han shot first, last or anywhere in between.

I thought Neelix was an okay-ish character, and my feelings about Jar Jar Binks were strictly neutral.

I think Stanley Kubrick was grossly overrated as a moviemaker.

Totally uninterested in LARPing.

I liked the 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen' movie, but never read the comic.

Zero interest in Undead-related entertainment (except for some of the stuff where Milla Jovovich or Kate Beckinsale kick ass).

White Wolf games make good firelighters.

Have neither watched nor read nor played A Game Of Thrones.

I think this thread is more interesting for what people consider geeky (for example, I would not consider using Twitter/Facebook geeky - that's mainstream).

And I'm hard-pressed to think of anything I do/don't do that would get me kicked out of the Geek Club; if anything I'd move further into Geek Elite - I gave up on Trek during TNG (TOS is still the best); I choose Howard, Leiber and Le Guin over tat like Robert Jordan, Tad Williams and David Eddings. My computer cost more than my car. I didn't give up on Tolkien books until after The Book of Lost Tales 2.

I could, I suppose, trash my geek cred by playing to non-geek stereotypes of us: I'm a journalist, and have therefore built a career out of having excellent communication skills.

What else? I've never watched past episode 3 of Babylon 5, though I have DVDs sitting there waiting for when I have the time. I don't watch the Stargate TV series (the film was good, though). I've never really got into manga or anime. I never really read American comic books, except at mates houses when bored (give me Judge Dredd and the Strontium Dog), though I've started to pick up some of the classics: Killing Joke, Dark Knight, Sin City, Watchmen.

While it’s true that Harry did get himself into a lot of trouble (I read four or five books before I gave up on the series) that right there bugged the hell out of me as well. I don’t mind flawed characters but Harry was so stupid for a smart guy I really can’t believe he survived childhood.

Especially given his environment. I still like it, but I see your point. You might like Codex Alera by Butcher a bit better. (Or you may hate it.)

I've never really understood the HUGE fanbase response to Harry Potter or Firefly/Serenity.

I think a lot of HP is what happened socially and the timing.

Childrens books had been dominated by sterile stories with a message - the kind that dominate the Newbury Awards. Trouble is it wasn't any fun - not fun to read, not fun to imagine.

Then HP came along, and it was fun again. So younguns started reading them. A lot. Then parent are "what is this that actually makes my kids read" and they read then - to be able to talk about it with their kids, or read it to the ones to young to read. And they liked them. After that start it just snowballed and became a cultural zietgiest. And the movies would not have been so huge if the books didn't already have such a huge impact, and it drew it the people that didn't read the books and many of those liked the movie.

The books are well crafted, and Rowling gets better at writing as they go. The films are solid - if not great, especially early on - and get a pass because of the huge social impact.

That is my thoughts anyway.

Especially given his environment. I still like it' date=' but I see your point. You might like Codex Alera by Butcher a bit better. (Or you may hate it.)[/quote']

I'll have to look it up and give it a try. If I don't like it I won't be out much and if I do so much the better.

That brings up one for me - I never had GI joe toys' date=' or Transformer toys, never read the comics, never watched the cartoons. The first time I watched any media related to the two franchises were the recent live action movies. I liked them a lot.[/quote']

+1

I liked the Ewoks too' date=' and didn't mind Jar Jar Binks at all.[/quote']

Well, we were in full agreement until this. :no:

Especially given his environment. I still like it' date=' but I see your point. You might like Codex Alera by Butcher a bit better. (Or you may hate it.)[/quote']

He's got a sample chapter up here: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera/furies/furies-of-calderon-chapter-1

Just one chapter isn't really enough to make a decision, but it'll at least give you a taste.

I think the fact that he actually had a planned out beginning, middle, and end and didn't milk the series past the intended length helped a lot. And there was no middle book syndrome. Each book told its story, which led to the next book, but were all pretty self-contained. Overall, very well put together and didn't fall into traps that a lot of series fantasy does nowadays.

I think the fact that he actually had a planned out beginning' date=' middle, and end and didn't milk the series past the intended length helped a lot. And there was no middle book syndrome. Each book told its story, which led to the next book, but were all pretty self-contained. Overall, very well put together and didn't fall into traps that a lot of series fantasy does nowadays.[/quote']

A lot of authors start out with that plan, it's when the demand for more from publisher or public happens that they get extended beyond their reach. So many authors have said they wrote a trilogy which ended up being a series.

I haven't read very many popular geeky SF/fantasy book series.

I slogged through the first Harry Potter book and didn't like it at all. I haven't read Amber or Dresden or Anita Blake or Snooky Stackhouse or Twilight. I've never read Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time. I have no interest in doing so.

I also don't have much geek cred when it comes to SF TV. I already mentioned that I've only ever seen a handful of Star Treks (of any series). I never watched any of the Stargates. Didn't watch Sliders. Watched the first season of Buffy on DVD and didn't like it so I never went further. Didn't watch Angel. Didn't watch Xena or Hercules. Never seen Big Bang Theory, Chuck, The IT Crowd, Dollhouse, Fringe, Eureka, Grimm...

I look at older SF shows with a mixture of fear and awe now. I can't sit through an episode of Buck Rogers or Space 1999 or old BSG without cringing. How the hell did I ever think this crap was good? I must've been a stupid, stupid child. :doi:

I did watch the first season and a half of Lost, but it started to annoy me. I watched the first season of Heroes, but there were too many plot holes for me to enjoy it much. I watched the first two seasons of the new BSG and then stopped (and I'm glad I did, because from what I heard it went downhill rapidly from there). I've seen the entire run of B5 (although the first time I tried to watch it I hated it). I enjoyed Firefly quite a bit. I watched and liked most of X-Files, although it really started to die those last few seasons. I like the new Doctor Who series (it's really hard for me to watch older episodes, even though my wife is a huge fan of the Doctor's previous incarnations).

I don't actually have cable or satellite TV, and haven't for years, so I don't watch much. But even when I had TV, I didn't watch very much. These days, if a show sounds interesting I'll rent or buy the DVDs when they come out. Right now, I'm watching Spartacus Blood & Sand, but quite frankly it kind of stinks.

Have you ever read the story of how Jim Butcher came up with the Codex Alera?

He got in a flamewar on the internet. The other guy sided with the sanctity of the idea; if you had a perfect concept for a book it would be good, even if you were a mediocre writer. Jim said that it was work and skill of the author, and that if a skillful writer worked very hard he/she could make even a terrible idea a good book.

So the guy told him to take up a bet. Jim had to accept a bad idea and make a book out of it. And sell it.

"No, you give me TWO ideas and I'll use them BOTH!"

"Fine. First is the Lost Roman Legion. I'm sick of all the novels using the Legio IX Hispana and whatever made them vanish. It's totally played out."

"and the second?"

"Pokemon."

So, Pokemon is itself based on two ideas (pro wrestling and shinto religion). So Jim wrote a book in which the decendents of the 9th Iberian duel each other using the totem spirits of the earth