Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I've never read Michael Moorcock, but my first D&D character was an elf named, "Elric."

I don't speak Klingon or Elvish.

I don't believe in alternate realities.

I was captain of the swim team in high school.

I haven't even seen 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So what's your dirty little geek secret? I imagine we all have one. Some iconic thing' date=' beloved in geek culture, that we've never seen or read or done or been into. Maybe you've never read [i']The Lord of the Rings.[/i] Maybe you didn't like The Lord of the Rings. Maybe you've never owned a comic book, or played D&D, or been to any kind of geeky convention. C'mon, 'fess up... It'll be good for your conscience. :winkgrin:

I'll go first...

I've never seen so much as a single episode of Doctor Who in any incarnation.

Out of general curiousity, is there something keeping you away from it, or have you just never gotten around to it and you're open to be sold on it? Because it does surprise me a bit, based on what I know of other things you like, that the sheer goofy romanticism of "The Girl In The Fireplace" or "Blink" wouldn't appeal to you, and I'm pretty much dead certain you'd think young (and even old) Sarah Jane is as cute as I do... dw

Oh, and for me, I can't stand Japanese animation styles and therefore not only have avoided most anime, but also most of the American series that are heavily influenced by it. And I gave up on Battlestar Galactica after the first season. And I don't generally care for "high" fantasy- I tolerate Tolkien though I make fun of a lot of it, and I generally avoid most of what came after him. Though I do like pulpy fantasy, Howard or Leiber-style. dw

Out of general curiousity' date=' is there something keeping you away from it, or have you just never gotten around to it and you're open to be sold on it? Because it does surprise me a bit, based on what I know of other things you like, that the sheer goofy romanticism of "The Girl In The Fireplace" or "Blink" wouldn't appeal to you, and I'm pretty much dead certain you'd think young (and even old) Sarah Jane is as cute as I do... dw[/quote']I think maybe the biggest stumbling block for me getting into it is simply how much of "it" there is. I mean, there have been so many episodes of it that there doesn't even seem to be exact agreement on how many there have been. I tend to be one of those folks that either has to start watching a series when it starts, or be able to "catch up" with it by getting the older episodes on video and watching them first. It's rare that I'll just get into a show in mid-run, unless that show is almost entirely episodic (and I have the sense that Doctor Who is at least somewhat serial).

I guess maybe it just seems like it would either take a huge investment of time before I really felt like I was fully up to speed on it, or that I'd have to live with more or less permanently not "getting" all of it. But if someone outlined a good "entry path" I could take, I'd certainly consider it. :)

I like Roger Corman's Fantastic Four movie. It's my favorite rendition of those characters.

I like the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie better than the later on with Jayne.

Apart from Wii Bowling with my son a couple of years ago, the last video game I played was Wolfenstein 3d. (Although to add to my geek cred, I was one of the programmers for that game).

I don't like much fantasy. If it's mixed with something else (comedy, mystery, sci-fi, etc.) I can tolerate some of it, but it's not my thing. Depite the fact that I publish fantasy novels.

The spakly vampires didn't bother me at all.

In Dracula vampires were supernaturally evil.

In Salem's lot they were evil, but it wasn't the holy symbols it was the faith in them

Anne Rice killed any relation to God at all.

I saw Sparkly as just the next step. :)

Actually as a champions player I sort of liked it - it was like "What are the classic vampire schticks - strong, fast, durable, cold the the touch, cannot go out in the sun (or at least don't like to - Dracula did)... what could explain that- having a body made of gemstones would do - which means the sun thing is the masqurade - it's their secret.

I like the resoning from effect - Vampire power - and coming up with a single SFX that tied it together. :)

I am no fan of Twilight, but I think the "sparkly vampires" bit is a truly good and original idea. It's hard to do something new with vampires.

Lucius Alexander

Fortunately, my cred cannot be destroyed as long as I have a palindromedary

I've never played MTG' date=' but I do have a Yu-Gi-Oh deck.[/quote']

I've never played MtG either, but I don't know how much geek cred that costs me given that I've played Dune, INWO, Ani-Mayhem, B5 CCG, AVP CCG, and lots and lots of Shadowfist.

Apart from Wii Bowling with my son a couple of years ago, the last video game I played was Wolfenstein 3d. (Although to add to my geek cred, I was one of the programmers for that game).

Somebody needs to rep this man for me to honor him for his contribution to society.

The Land of the Lost reboot was Will Ferrals best movie

It was better than I expected, but I don't know if I'd call it his best.

Christian Bale's best movie was the Treasure Island with Charlton Heston playing Long John Silver.

I did not know this film existed.

I guess maybe it just seems like it would either take a huge investment of time before I really felt like I was fully up to speed on it, or that I'd have to live with more or less permanently not "getting" all of it. But if someone outlined a good "entry path" I could take, I'd certainly consider it. :)

Well, the good news, then, is that the BBC provided you with an excellent jumping-on point by putting the series in limbo for about a decade. Start with the new series (available on netflix) Series 1 (2005), with Eccleston as the Doctor. 13 episodes, each 45 minutes, with a smattering of references to earlier continuity that are pretty easy to ignore. He gets a new sidekick and pretty much spends the first couple of episodes telling her all the audience needs to know. That'll tell you whether you have a taste for the rest of it. (Don't get too attached to Eccleston, though, 'cause that's all there is of him.) If you like it, continue forward with Series 2-5, and in the meantime I'd be delighted to help you find the best of the older stuff as well. You're right, there's fifty years of story there, but you don't *need* it. Kind of like Hero, actually. :) dw

Ah' date=' but does anyone here drive a modified vehicle? I put some Tein coilovers in my car last year. It's actually too low now but they don't adjust to go any higher. But cornering is fun![/quote']

Not for over 10 years. I had a '68 Firebird that had rear fender Flares (to hide/coverup/repair the rust damage), had lifts in my front coil springs (it was too low without them). While I was growing up I helped my father build a T-bucket from the ground up (ie it was just a steel body when he first got it). I know a ton about Fords, and GM/Chevy's. Not so much about Mopar. I can do pretty much anything you can think about in the maintenance of an older car (Inc body work). Modifying/ and customizing cars is a full time hobby that I don't really have the time or inclination to pursue anymore. I got sick of dirty hands with bloody knuckles and cars that NEEDED to be worked on regularly to run their best. I toy with the idea of converting a VW bug to Electric or at least restoring one, but it's currently a pipe dream right now.

I post my On topic stuff in the next post.

Ok I hate the Game of Throne books. He takes such a delight in killing off any likeable characters, I find it hard to find a character to ID with. The series is ok, but I wouldn't watch it if my partner wasn't totally gaga over the whole series.

I hate most board games, I dislike the competitive nature of them and how people become unlikeable when playing them. I do like silly board and card games that everyone laughs at even when they are losing.

I don't hate Jar Jar Binks. I do hate Whiny Anakin Skywalker. I can't even sit though the 2nd movie of the prequel trilogy because of his whining. It's also creepy how he does pretty much everything in the movie. I can't believe that whiny creepy idiot becomes the feared nasty Darth Vader. Darth Maul and Darth Poodoo(dookie? Dooku!) are much better villains.

David Weber books. His earlier books were great fun and focused on the fun combat and starships exploding. All good fun. He's now writing these political bs books that are full of characters doing things to other characters from other nations following plots that are too slow incubating. He basically writes books that are as fun as a poli-sci text book. Too many characters to follow without a scorecard. Blah!

I pretty much like everything that has decent engaging characters to follow. I don't mind that TV, Movies, and Comics treat characters differently as long as they keep to the spirit of the characters. I understand that each of those is a different medium which requires different things from characters and plots. So I can like most Super Hero movies as long as they are decent movies.

I guess I don't have a ton of things that will kill my geek cred. Perhaps the car stuff does that?

Tasha

Y'know' date=' after reading this thread, it occurs to me that gaming is the only geek cred I have.[/quote']

I run a web site called Embrace Your Geekness and I claim that everyone has geekness in them. Anything that you feel a deep love for.. no matter what the topic... gives you a chance to geek out. Because of that, Geek cred really does not apply in my mind.

But to play along...

I struggle many time with the computer and the way to do things on it.

And I do not have, nor ever have had, a cell phone or an ipod

Much of this and more.

I like a few things more now than I used to, some less.

And I like romance novels. At least the few I've read.

I'd rather listen to Poison than Iron Maiden most of the time. (Though Run to the Hills and Murder in the Rue Morgue are pretty tight)

I have 3 Hanson albums.

I'm totally meh over any television series that came out after I turned 25 (so...1996?) I've seen shows I've enjoyed but I gave up on Television and haven't missed it. (save for the Daily Show)

I loved Star Wars when I was seven. After that...nah

I have not read Tolkien, Game of Thrones, Dresden Files, any Larry Niven, no Honor Harrington, I think guns are boring...

Don't like FPS, Mario, or most platform games.

Don't miss comic books much.

Love D&D for fantasy.

Love HERO for Supers and pretty much that's it.

Don't dig sci-fi much at all, books, movies, or games.

I can't remember the last time I read a new fantasy or SF novel.

I read the first Amber book and thought it was drek, so I didn't read any further.

I read the first Elric book and thought it started brilliantly and turned into utter drek by the end. Didn't read any more.

Didn't make it through the first Harry Potter book. Trite writing, even for the target age. (Dig the movies, though.)

Didn't make it through the first Thomas Covenant book. Terrific writing, loved the main character, the generic fantasy world bored me to tears.

Didn't make it through the first Song of Fire and Ice book. Twice. Terrific writing, loved the characters, woefully underdeveloped storylines. (Loved the TV show though.)

Can't stand metal music of any stripe.

Can't stand musical stage shows, particularly the music.

Terrible at video games. Rarely play them.

Enjoyed The Dark Knight but couldn't care less about the next one.

Bored to tears by zombies, vampires and werewolves.

Bored by most comic books. Bored by most anime.

Bored by The X-Files. Never watched any Stargate show. Watched and enjoyed the first two seasons of nBSG, but apparently didn't care enough to continue.

Thought Buffy was awful, even though I reviewed the whole series episode by episode on another board, and even pretended to like it. You couldn't make me watch Angel with a Clockwork Orange setup.

I'm addicted to this forum but never read the actual Hero web site. Apparently they're shutting down or something? Is the forum going away?

I hate most board games' date=' I dislike the competitive nature of them and how people become unlikeable when playing them. I do like silly board and card games that everyone laughs at even when they are losing.[/quote']

One of our favorites is Nuclear War by Flying Buffalo. It's the only game I know where you know you've played it right when EVERYONE loses. Also, it contains the official rule that whoever owns that copy of the game goes first (which would be me, of course;)).

One of our favorites is Nuclear War by Flying Buffalo. It's the only game I know where you know you've played it right when EVERYONE loses. Also' date=' it contains the official rule that whoever owns that copy of the game goes first (which would be me, of course;)).[/quote']

I was fairly recently introduced to a great card game called Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's superhero themed (a plus), and best of all, it's cooperative and not competitive; all the players use their characters to beat up on a supervillain. It's the cooperative nature of it that really draws me to it, I think.

Lost in Space is the best Sci Fi tv show EVER

Christopher Lee was a horrible Dracula

The Land of the Lost reboot was Will Ferrals best movie

The Dark Knight should have been called the Dork Knight....whatta loser of a movie

OMG I have to be the dumbest gamer alive...I thought we were being really ironic about all this and it was sorta opposite day here

Jumping Jarvis on a stick I am stupid...

wait that alone pretty much kills my geek cred....right?

Let me try this again....

I do think the first season of Lost in Space has good watchable episodes. Sure its a space opera, or a space fantasy..but some of the stories really do work and the black and white look helps the show...

I admit I liked the D&D movie...and the second was was a lot of fun...

I feel asleep trying to watch 2001 twice before I finally got thru it.

I do think robert Jordans Wheel of time books are not readable and I have never understood why they are so popular. Granted I met Jordan around 1981, I sorta thought he was an ass and I never could read his books after that.

I don't even have a clue what Fringe is supposed to be about.

Homage to ST:TOS, particularly The Alternative Factor. Two mad scientists (or the same one, if you like), in alternate universes, wage war on each other. Both universes decay as a result. Also, Return to Tomorrow: Leonard Nimoy's character takes over the body of one of the regulars, and shows a marked reluctance to "move on."