Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

OMG I have to be the dumbest gamer alive...I thought we were being really ironic about all this and it was sorta opposite day here

Jumping Jarvis on a stick I am stupid...

wait that alone pretty much kills my geek cred....right?

Well I'm dumb too, cause I couldn't figure out whether you were being sarcastic... I was waiting for the inevitable "Great Vegetable Rebellion was my favorite Lost in Space episode ever" to seal the deal.

OTOH, I've actually seen some rather passionate defenses of that farce which looked... sincere. You never can tell. Poe lives.

1st seasons of the following were good, then I couldn't watch any more: Fringe, Heroes, Dark Angel (ok, I did watch the 2nd season, but it was just momentum)

Never even got into new BSG or Lost.

Couldn't get through Return of the King (the book)

The first few Wheel of Time books were great. Then...not so much. Pushed to book 6, but then gave up.

The first Fire & Ice book was great. Then it just bogged down. Made it into the fourth, I think, before giving up. (oh, and killing characters, eh, whatever, but what got me was

why did the girl's wolf have to die in the first book?!?

)

and my final destruction of geek cred:

I've written Twilight fanfic.

I'd like to add one more strike against myself, or nail in my geek coffin, as it were.

While I don't hate Batman, I do find him to be a horrible character. He's supposed to be an extremely skilled and intelligent guy with gadgetry. But have a discussion with just about anyone about Batman vs. X.

Who comes on top? Batman according to the majority of people out there. Which annoys me. He should be getting his butt kicked by most of the higher powered people out there. If a particularly ruthless psychic wanted to, they would kill Batman outright. Brain: off. Just as an example.

Batman can be cool, but he's way overrated and conceptually lost in memes. Screw Batman in his caped posterior.

Well I'm dumb too' date=' cause I couldn't figure out whether you were being sarcastic... I was waiting for the inevitable "[i']Great Vegetable Rebellion[/i] was my favorite Lost in Space episode ever" to seal the deal.

OTOH, I've actually seen some rather passionate defenses of that farce which looked... sincere. You never can tell. Poe lives.

The silliness of the later seasons of LiS is the Batman's fault. Really.

I'd like to add one more strike against myself, or nail in my geek coffin, as it were.

While I don't hate Batman, I do find him to be a horrible character. He's supposed to be an extremely skilled and intelligent guy with gadgetry. But have a discussion with just about anyone about Batman vs. X.

Who comes on top? Batman according to the majority of people out there. Which annoys me. He should be getting his butt kicked by most of the higher powered people out there. If a particularly ruthless psychic wanted to, they would kill Batman outright. Brain: off. Just as an example.

Batman can be cool, but he's way overrated and conceptually lost in memes. Screw Batman in his caped posterior.

I am so totally with you it's not even funny.

If Batman's so smart, and so rich, that he can build a freakin' space station without anybody knowing about it, why can't he design himself some real body armor?

and the last tiny bit of cred is destroyed.....Mission accomplished

Heh, touche.

Someone who is bored of the X-Files is tired of life. And I can do something about that - Death Tribble

It's not irrelevant that by all rights, the show should be one of my favorites. It's the execution that leaves me flat. (Rather the polar opposite of Mad Men, the execution of which is some of the best I've ever seen, but the subject matter of which could not be less interesting to me.)

(I'm not a big TV watcher though, so if a show doesn't hook me early in my viewing (wherever in the run that may be) I don't bother with it anymore. If a show does hook me, I'll generally stick with it to the bitter, bitter end.)

I've never really understood the HUGE fanbase response to Harry Potter or Firefly/Serenity. The special effects are great but I don't get what's original about either besides the effects. Kinda feel the same about the LTR movies. It's cool but I never really got the books either. I guess I am such a huge fan of hard sci-fi stuff that I don't like most fantasy stuff that lacks any focus on internal consistency and relies on mostly on mood.

HM

:D

Hard Sci fi is fantasy for snobs. :) (in my opinion, of course) It's so BORING. All of it. All the Hard Sci Fi I've been introduced to has sucked.

Interesting' date=' 'cause for me, it was just the opposite. For me, the first season was just pretty good, but it turned into one of my favorite shows in later seasons...[/quote']

The premise was good, but they went off the edge with so many cross-dimensional complications and it was just sci-fi soap opera. And if I'm going to watch Sci-Fi soap opera, it's going to be good SF Soap Opera like Babylon 5, darn it! :)

There is an X-men panel (I wish I could find it, but cannot) where wolverine rushes in and get "Logan Wait, he's had preptime" and the next panel is wolvering flying miles out and the sound effect of it is BAATMAAAAAN

I've never seen an episode of X-Files, Lost, or Heroes, and I have no particular desire to change that fact.

I enjoyed more episodes of Voyager than not.

I've only read two books by Heinlein: Starship Troopers and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. I enjoyed them both...but not enought to seek out his other works.

I've only read the first Thomas Covenant book, and it took me three tries to get through it.

I like some niven' date=' and I really liked Robert Forward's Dragon's egg.[/quote']

Yep. I love the Magic Goes Away and the Flying Sorcerers. The latter being a wonderful extrapolation of the the idea that any sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic.

The first few Wheel of Time books were great. Then...not so much. Pushed to book 6, but then gave up.

That doesn't destroy your geek cred. That's just general consensus, even amongst Jordan fans. Only the hardest of the hardcore (I.e. the delusional fans) will not admit that the books simply bog down after book4 or 5

However, the latest books finished by Brandon Sanderson are freaking fantastic. His writing style is slightly different from jordans and he brings the tale back to basics by concentrating mostly on the most important characters and major stuff happens. Can't wait for the final book in the series now and plan to seek out some of his original works.

The first Fire & Ice book was great. Then it just bogged down. Made it into the fourth, I think, before giving up. (oh, and killing characters, eh, whatever, but what got me was

why did the girl's wolf have to die in the first book?!?

)

Love those books. Still need to reaad the latest one, but I will get to it soon.

and my final destruction of geek cred:

I've written Twilight fanfic.

Sorry, that doesn't destroy your geek cred, it simply puts you at the bottom of the geek hierarchy barrel far below Trekkie (er, sorry...Trekken) and Whedonites, just beneath Furries and Plushies...

Oh... where to start:

I did not like the remastered Battlestar Galactica.

I have never seen any of Monty Python's movies from start to finish (Although I'm pretty certain I've heard every single freakin' line of dialogue ever!"

I too have never read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Read the Hobbit. Enjoyed that. Got about 50 pages into Lord of the Rings and stopped.

I have never read any of the other big fantasy series either (Song of Fire and Ice, Game of Thrones, etc etc). Saw the HBO series for Game of Thrones.

I'm sure there will be more later.....

I've never seen an episode of X-Files, Lost, or Heroes, and I have no particular desire to change that fact.

I've only read two books by Heinlein: Starship Troopers and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. I enjoyed them both...but not enought to seek out his other works.

Yeah - I don't care for Heinlein myself except his early juvinile novels - Have Spacesuit will travel, starman jones - those were good.

I tried Time enough for Love, Number of the Beast, Friday, Stranger in a Strange land and Job. Couldn't finish a single one of those - and I tend to make myself finish books, but hated each of those so much, I couldn't do it.