Robocop vs Terminator

quozaxx

Re: Robocop vs Terminator

You realize this has already been tackled very well in the comics, heh. Winner is Robocop. As for why, Because Robocop Can do everything the Terminators can, and think outside the box ala John Conner, and if you read the original Robocop vs Terminator (Frank Miller and Walt Simonson) then the win should be apparent, if not, boil it down to Alex Murphy not losing to a bunch of programming (much as he did in his own movies)....

~Rex...Robocop for the Win

Depends. Does Robocop have a Cobra Assault Cannon, like the one he used to one-shot ED-209?

If so, Robocop hands down.

Seriously, however, comparing the armament of the two a la "Deadliest Warrior" is key. Robocop has an insanely powerful machine pistol, but it's still just a machine pistol. Terminators, in their home future, have phased plasma rifles. And as is shown in the few future battles we see through the Terminator films, these plasma rifles are quite capable of taking Terminators apart very easily. Robocop has been shown as vulnerable to sufficient quantities of damage, just like a Terminator, so a few blasts from a plasma rifle would probably do him in. Of course, if the Terminator has been sent to Robocop's time and forced to make do with those weapons, most weapons essentially cease to be a factor. Robocop's gun can't damage a Terminator, the guns a Terminator is likely get its hands on can't damage Robocop. At which point it may come do to a purely physical, hand-to-hand confrontation. Terminators appear to be far faster and more agile than Robocop, and their strength and toughness are probably about equal, giving a physical advantage to the Terminator. However, as was pointed out, Robocop is still Alex Murphy, with years of experience and training and certain "never say die" attitude that may allow him to outthink the Terminator. Of course, if high-end weapons like the Cobra Cannon come into play, weapons once more become a factor. In all likelihood, I see a conventional weapon vs. conventional weapon battle being fruitless, with a hand-to-hand confrontation ending in a draw. Robocop can outthink the Terminator, but can't overcome its agility advantage. Both Robocop and the Terminator realize they need more firepower to put down the other, and go in search of same. At which point, whoever gets the big gun first wins.

Of course, there can be exceptions. A hand-to-hand confrontation may end in Robocop's favor if he can use some of the tactics ordinary humans have used to destroy them: molten metal, hydraulic presses, high explosives, etc. Of course, there's nothing preventing a Terminator from doing the same thing to him, but the question remains whether a Terminator is programmed to take advantage of such improvised weapons. Likewise, Robocop may be able to turn a Terminator-with-Big-Gun's firepower against it somehow.

Basically as stated above, because of the X-Factor of "human ingenuity," I give the advantage overall to Robocop.

assuming both are using the same quality equipment Robocop has more armor and greater strength at only a little cost in movement speed

Robocop does have flesh that needs protecting

hand to hand I'd go with Robocop as all he needs is to just rip both the terminators arms off and has the strength to do it and the spike that can either poke holes or reprogram the terminator

at range with heavy rifles(cobra assault cannon

who ever gets the first hit to a vital location

medium rifles (7.62 nato)Robocop is proof vs this except for a small area (mouth),where a terminator would get worn down over time

It also depends a lot on how much tactical intelligence is available to the Terminator. How much data does the Terminator have on Robocop? If it knows about' date=' and can use, that "special command" for example, then it's game over.[/quote']

The Terminator probably has "Detailed Files" on Alex Murphy. Still, Terminators don't normally exhibit imagination, which Murphy can bring to bear in spades.

One other factor here. Murphy is used to fighting other cybernetic weapons. Terminators do not usually do this. They are programmed to hunt humans, not other cyborgs, so it may take a while for a Terminator to adjust its programming for fighting an opponent of equal footing. Murphy would probably simply look for the heaviest piece of equipment he can to drop on it, or lead it to a junkyard where he would capture it with a heavy claw crane or giant junk magnet and drop it in a car crusher.

The excellent comic book mini-series by Frank Miller (back before he went crazy), answers this question very well. The only hope the Terminators really have is greater numbers/ But as the OP said "as they were in their original movies" (paraphrasing), then Murphey wins, because according to Kyle Reese, the resistance detroyed the Machines' only time-travel facility after he and the first Terminator were sent back.

assuming both are using the same quality equipment Robocop has more armor and greater strength at only a little cost in movement speed

Robocop does have flesh that needs protecting

hand to hand I'd go with Robocop as all he needs is to just rip both the terminators arms off and has the strength to do it and the spike that can either poke holes or reprogram the terminator

at range with heavy rifles(cobra assault cannon

who ever gets the first hit to a vital location

medium rifles (7.62 nato)Robocop is proof vs this except for a small area (mouth),where a terminator would get worn down over time

I think you're dramatically overestimating RoboCop's toughness, and drastically underestimating that of a Terminator. I'd place them as pretty much equal in terms of physical strength and resistance to damage. And that computer spike is just that, a COMPUTER spike, meant to interface with appropriately-equipped computer systems. Sure, it looks scary, and did a fine job acing Clarence Bodicker, but it's not a weapon and not meant to function as such. If RoboCop tried to stab a Terminator with that, odds are it would crumple like tinfoil.

Terminators take no stun, have access to better weapons, are faster, might be stronger and have much more advanced computer brains.

But...

I give it to Murphy, in part because of the hero factor and in part because Arnold was taken down by a pair of non enhanced humans, one of whom didn't really know what the hell she was doing (at the time).

Wouldn't that depend on circumstances?Does Skynet start WWIII, Robocop survives and helps defend humanity? In this case, the Terminator gets access to all the cool weaponry, and Robocop is at a severe disadvantage.ORSkynet sends a Terminator back in time to kill someone, ending up in Detroit, where Robocop attempts to stop it's murder spree? In THIS case, Robocop has access to all the resources of DPD, and the Terminator is limited to what it can scrounge. Advantage, Robocop.(OK, let's put a Terminator against a Mk XXXVI Bolo... ok, that didn't take long. Let's put Skynet and all it's resources against a Mk XXXVI Bolo... ok, that didn't take much longer.)

• 2 weeks later...

They are programmed to hunt humans, not other cyborgs,

Quick questions for my fellow Geeks of the 'Net.... I don't know if I'm just being literal or narrow minded about what a cyborg is or not.

It's always bugged me that a Terminator classifies as a "cyborg". To me, the Terminator doesn't classify as a "cyborg" because it's an android covered in living tissue. Where as Murphy fits my definition of a cyborg because he started out human, died and then got better. (They had the technology . . . )

So I'm not sure if I'm limiting myself and my interpretation of "cyborg" or not . . . ?

Wouldn't that depend on circumstances?Does Skynet start WWIII' date=' Robocop survives and helps defend humanity? In this case, the Terminator gets access to all the cool weaponry, and Robocop is at a severe disadvantage.ORSkynet sends a Terminator back in time to kill someone, ending up in Detroit, where Robocop attempts to stop it's murder spree? In THIS case, Robocop has access to all the resources of DPD, and the Terminator is limited to what it can scrounge. Advantage, Robocop.(OK, let's put a Terminator against a Mk XXXVI Bolo... ok, that didn't take long. Let's put Skynet and all it's resources against a Mk XXXVI Bolo... ok, that didn't take much longer.)[/quote']

Thing is Shadow, if Robo survived to help in humanities defense, he'd have access to the same cool weaponry as the Terminator would. So there wouldn't be any real disadvantage there.

And even if the t-101 got sent back to Detroit where Robo reigns, unless it somehow crossed into an alternate timeline, it would have "detailed files" of the weapons of Robo's era and be able to acquire them the same way he did the "crude" weapons of our time. Again, I don't thing either would be at a disadvantage weapon-wise as they could both, however they managed it, acquire the same type of weapons.

IMO, it's back to Robo's ability to think and adapt over the Terminators "Read-only" state of being . . .