Sci-Fi Melee Weapons: Bat'leth, Lirpas, Lightsabres, Rykk Blades, Koltari, Denn'Bok,

Kal'El Wayne

Re: Sci-Fi Melee Weapons: Bat'leth, Lirpas, Lightsabres, Rykk Blades, Koltari, Denn'B

I have no idea who Anja Galladro is.

A character from the Young Jedi Knights book series, IIRC.

So if the off-shoot novels are being included as examples, there may well be one or more where Han Solo uses a lightsaber.

Re: Sci-Fi Melee Weapons: Bat'leth, Lirpas, Lightsabres, Rykk Blades, Koltari, Denn'B

Something interesting on Wookieepedia, is lightfoils. According to the site, lightfoils are weaker verisons of lightsabers and non-force users can use them. (But it doesn't fully explain why). On and bullets are harder for a lightsaber to deflect too. And Grievous, lets not forget was trained by Count Dooku who is supposed to be the Best lightsaber duelest.

Oh and perhaps the training is the reason that the Emperor's Shadow Guard use Lightsaber Pikes instead of lightsabers, even though they use the Force? And a thought about Han Solo, lets not forget how he could fly an asteroid field, he had alot of of subconsciense Force.

And a thought about Han Solo' date=' lets not forget how he could fly an asteroid field, he had alot of of subconsciense Force.[/quote']

I guess this depends on which source you go by. I just like to believe that Han has a lot of pure skill.

I guess this depends on which source you go by. I just like to believe that Han has a lot of pure skill.

Np-btw I like the way that WEG hard coded it in the rules. Every character had access to Force points and character points. Force points double the skill dice per turn, and character points can add to your dice pool, sorta like hero points. This helped characters to make outrageous stunts because that's what heros do in cinema. Oh and Han in WEG still had awesome stats even without relying on the above advantages.

Han Solo's character sheet shows he's just a super-awesome pilot. No need for any "unconscious Force use" theory.

Han Solo's character sheet shows he's just a super-awesome pilot. No need for any "unconscious Force use" theory.

Fwiw-apparently, the use of Force points and character points is a second ed thing not first ed. I couldn't find any for Han in 1st but for 2nd, he has 2 force points and 22 character points. And I love the idea as a player. I've used some hero points in a game, and it does make it more cinematic in my opion.

The Narn have their own special sword. It functions pretty much like a normal vlade, but has an etiquette attached to its use. Once drawn, it cannot be re-sheathed until it has drawn blood. Fortunately the blood of the user qualifies, meaining we got to see a Narn cut himelf across the palm so that he could meet that requirement after drawing rashly in a situation where it was unnecessary.

This isn't a function of the blade, of course, but it does serve as a minor Social Limitation for the user if you're dedicated enough to swordsmanship to use it regularly.

The Narn have their own special sword. It functions pretty much like a normal vlade, but has an etiquette attached to its use. Once drawn, it cannot be re-sheathed until it has drawn blood. Fortunately the blood of the user qualifies, meaining we got to see a Narn cut himelf across the palm so that he could meet that requirement after drawing rashly in a situation where it was unnecessary.

This isn't a function of the blade, of course, but it does serve as a minor Social Limitation for the user if you're dedicated enough to swordsmanship to use it regularly.

Ah-Ghurkas in space! : )

Oh, yeah, the Narn version of the katana...I always thought that any of Ambassador Ta'Lon's*

discussions with other ambassadors would tend to be interesting -- especially since you never

knew when or if he was going to draw that fancy pigsticker of his.

*G'Kar's replacement as Narn's ambassador to B5 after he and Lyta Alexander left the station

together, not long after the end of both the Shadow War and the Earth Civil War.

Major Tom 2009

Fwiw-apparently' date=' the use of Force points and character points is a second ed thing not first ed. I couldn't find any for Han in 1st but for 2nd, he has 2 force points and 22 character points. And I love the idea as a player. I've used some hero points in a game, and it does make it more cinematic in my opion.[/quote']

Force points exist in 1st edition; they were just expanded some in 2nd edition by adding character points to the mix. IIRC, Force points in 2nd still let you double all your die codes for one round, while character points add one die to a single roll. I never played much with character points, but did find it an interesting mechanic...do I improve my skills for the long term or save my bacon in the short term?

• 11 months later...

5E:

[TABLE=width: 1000, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]16

[/TD]

[TD]Lightsaber: Elemental Control, 118-point powers, all slots -1 Decreased STUN Multiplier (+0) (59 Active Points); all slots OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13

[/TD]

[TD]1) Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD vs. Combat Luck, Dodge-Based Defense, or Force Field/Wall (+3/4), Does BODY (+1) (130 Active Points); EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), No STR Bonus (Adds Martial DCs at 4:1) (-1/2), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11

[/TD]

[TD]2) Active Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), AVLD (vs. Combat Luck, Dodge-Based Defense, or Force Field; +3/4), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (119 Active Points); EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), Specific Beam Only (Only With Block / Missile Deflection / Beam Touched) (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Lightsaber builds are like spaghetti recipes; it seems like everybody has their own. I've built them as AVAD versus Hardened Defenses with an additional limitation that they are not effective vs Force Fields. Sprinkle in the OAF and other modifiers to get the desired flavor.

The Lirpas - first off' date=' obviously, Required Hands: Two Hands, and build it as a two-slot mutlipower if you must - one slot the HKA, the other a HTH Attack with +1 StunX. If you must go with the original look of the weapon, I would rule it as "unwieldy" and put a -2 OCV penalty on it (seriously, they were practically swinging lampposts at each other, and if that weapon was made of metal, it would weigh quite a bit - even if just hollow aluminum of any decent gauge.)[/quote']

That may have been due to the clublike counterweight to the blade being made of something relatively light and soft, to make sure Shatner and Nimoy didn't hurt each other during their fight scene. The lirpa wielded by Jonathan Archer and other Vulcans during the Enterprise series had a more practical and realistic-looking counterweight.

Called a k'tok, according to my brief online research: http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/K'tok .

The above article notes a resemblance of the k'tok to a Japanese katana, but IIRC its length was closer to that of a wakizashi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakizashi . If it were up to me, I'd use the stats for the wakizashi from Ultimate Martial Artist for the k'tok.

In the realm of B5 weapons (and with thanks to the ever useful Internet Wayback Machine) you may want to take a gander here for a snapshot of a page from the

Starherofandom website prior to the various hacker attacks :

http://web.archive.org/web/20080424131449/http://www.starherofandom.com/b5/weapons.php

It includes stats for melee weapons the Denn'Bok, the Narn Katak, and the Centauri Coutari....

Worth a gander.....IMNSVHO.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, don't forget to take a look at the martial arts styles page as well......you'll find a snapshot of it from the same date as the above link at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080424130440/http://www.starherofandom.com/b5/martial_arts.php

-Carl-

• 3 months later...

A Jedi can't parry bullets: they move too fast. The only reason they can parry laser bolts is that they are shown moving about as fast as a crossbow bolt or arrow.

And my sci-fi melee weapon of choice? A Monadnock PR-24 side-handle night stick made from high-quality polycarbonate. No tricky, sci-fi-styled bells or whistles needed.

A Jedi can't parry bullets: they move too fast. The only reason they can parry laser bolts is that they are shown moving about as fast as a crossbow bolt or arrow.

Where did you read that bit? Is it your take on things or something in one of the books? the D20 version of StarWars seems to assume that Projectile weapons are deflectable. I kind of assumed that it was a Jedi's ability with precog that allowed the parrying of blaster bolts and any projectile.

I think that there is a tendency to write up SciFi weapons a bit too powerfully. Esp. those weapons seen in Movies and Television shows. The shows have a meta reality that is different from an RPG. They only have a certain amount of time to show you something. So they tend to have guns that one shot everyone (even guns that can't do that in Real life), Swords that seeming can cut though anything quickly. Guns that insta-stun no matter how tough, and then insta kill. RPG's have a reality where it makes things fun to have weapons that are balanced against the PC's defenses. Things that one shot PC's and NPC's tend to not be fun in an adventure. They take a lot of the tension out of a combat. I think we need to keep this in mind while writing up some of the weapons we have talked about. Otherwise you have LightSabers that cost a couple of hundred real points. Phasers that are just complicated messes of a weapon. etc.