Olympic sprinter

Trebuchet

How would one go about building a "normal" human that can run 100 meters (50") in just under 10 seconds?

As I understand the 5ER rules characters perform all actions as if they are SPD 2 except while they are in combat even if they have a higher base SPD. Obviously a sprint on a straight track would use Non-Combat Movement by default; but that seems to imply that such a runner could do 25" per Phase - a movement that even many supers couldn't hit.

If base Running is 6", should the character Push to get five more inches and then buy a few more inches of Running; or can characters even Push when out of combat?

Suggestions?

Re: Olympic sprinter

As I understand the 5ER rules characters perform all actions as if they are SPD 2 except while they are in combat even if they have a higher base SPD.

I only can say for sure about 6E (only have the character creation handbook for 5E), but afaik it means they generally only act on SPD 2 (to save endurance with constant powers) - unless they choose to act more (like traveling at full speed = SPD times Movement). So they would just use a SPD higher at their limit when trying to go fast.

Sports is one of the areas where hero isn't the best system (it lacks granularity in everthing so close to reality), so I would propably make a Sprinting competition a Con Based Roll for PS: Athlethe or PS: Sprinter. Maybe a contest of multiple rolls (so that it's not just one lucky roll).

Another option is to allow characters to push their running speed (as long as it is a sports competition, not combat) and see who runs out of Endurance first.

A lot of people on this forum will point to the odd "artifcat" that SPD increases movement range/turn, but I think the higher endurance cost counters that.

An Olympic Sprinter has bought up their running movement. Probably close to, if not near human maximum. (10")

At Speed 2, an Olympic class sprinter can hit 80 meters in 12 seconds. At speed 3 they can hit 120 meters in 12 seconds. Broken down segment by segment, that's exactly 100 meters in 10 seconds/segments.

An Olympic Sprinter has bought up their running movement. Probably close to, if not near human maximum. (10")

At Speed 2, an Olympic class sprinter can hit 80 meters in 12 seconds. At speed 3 they can hit 120 meters in 12 seconds. Broken down segment by segment, that's exactly 100 meters in 10 seconds/segments.

So you're saying an extra +1 SPD and +4" of Running would do it? That seems fairly reasonable. That's only 18 CP; well within the margins for a Talented Normal.

I just thought characters couldn't go faster than SPD 2 for non-combat activities? So if, say, a martial artist has a 6 SPD he can use those extra Phases to outrun the Olympic Gold Medallist by a considerable margin without even buying up his Running?

Sweet. :thumbup:

I don't think the rules says you can't act faster than SPD 2 outside of combat. I think it mentions that people normally act at SPD 2 outside of combat. This represents moving at a normal pace/speed so as to not wear yourself out. Anyone who is in a hurry or racing against the clock on the other hand will operate at a faster pace if able to. A footrace would use Combat Time, or at least 12 second turn with the total distance moved based on a characters full movement rate times their Speed score.

An Olympic Class sprinter probably isn't any faster than Speed 2 or Speed 3. Their "reaction speed" isn't faster than a typical cop or soldier (who I would rate at Speed 3 due to regular combat training and/or experience, so they tend to react/think fast on their feet in combat/stress situations) but they do tend to max out their running, or possibly even take a +1 or +2 beyond the normal maximum in order to be exceptional...which an Olympic sprinter would be considered.

I just thought characters couldn't go faster than SPD 2 for non-combat activities?

Afaik characters can set theri SPD anywhere from 1 to their actual value at any time (but should only do it after segment 12 in combat).

But they can't go slower than 2 SPD for purpose of drowning, calculating endurance cost of Constant powers and other negative effects that work on a "per phase" level.

An Olympic Class sprinter probably isn't any faster than Speed 2 or Speed 3. Their "reaction speed" isn't faster than a typical cop or soldier (who I would rate at Speed 3 due to regular combat training and/or experience' date=' so they tend to react/think fast on their feet in combat/stress situations)...[/quote']

Not quite true.

Reflexes are massively important for coming off the blocks quickly, especially in short distance sprints like 60m and 100m.

Though arguably in hero system that's more a function of Lighting reflexes.

For the record, to do 10 sec 100m you need to be able to run roughly 22.37 mph... give or take to account for acceleration

Assuming standard NCM x2, that requires:

- 15" with a SPD of 2

- 10" with a SPD of 3

- 8" with a SPD of 4

So you're saying an extra +1 SPD and +4" of Running would do it? That seems fairly reasonable. That's only 18 CP; well within the margins for a Talented Normal.I just thought characters couldn't go faster than SPD 2 for non-combat activities? So if' date=' say, a martial artist has a 6 SPD he can use those extra Phases to outrun the Olympic Gold Medallist by a considerable margin without even buying up his Running?Sweet. :thumbup:[/quote']Yes, but at SPD 6 the martial artist is already well beyond "average normal" and depending on the campaign may be beyond "max human". On the other hand if the MA is a "normal" (ie. not a PC adventurer or super-martial-artist or whatever) with SPD 4 to represent his amazingly fast reaction time he should probably sell back some of his Running to keep him in line with whatever the "norm" is (depending of course on how "realistic" the setting is).

Not quite true.

Reflexes are massively important for coming off the blocks quickly, especially in short distance sprints like 60m and 100m.

Though arguably in hero system that's more a function of Lighting reflexes.

For the record, to do 10 sec 100m you need to be able to run roughly 22.37 mph... give or take to account for acceleration

That's certainly a function of Dex/Lightning Reflexes and not Speed. Also keep in mind that before a race begins, all of the contestants are holding their phase, waiting for the gun to signal the start.

Assuming standard NCM x2, that requires:

- 15" with a SPD of 2

- 10" with a SPD of 3

- 8" with a SPD of 4

Which is pretty much what I figured. If a world-class sprinter maxed out their running movement, they wouldn't need to be any higher than Speed 3.