Pirate Hero

tcabril

Re: Pirate Hero

Yup. During the Iron Crown Enterprises days, there was a supplement in their Campaign Classics line, called simply, Pirates, stock #1040. It was written for Rolemaster and 4th edition Hero System/Fantasy Hero. The book's sitting about half a foot from the back of my computer chair, because I haven't put it back after a recent discussion on these boards.

JoeG

I want to have a Pirate Hero game. I'd Buy up PS: Evade SOPA to 17-... wait... wrong pirates...

Duplication, Usable Against Others, Movies Only...

I've never run a straight-up pirate game, but almost every fantasy game I've ever run has gotten out on the ocean with a treasure map at one point or another.

• 2 weeks later...

I did consider one roughly based on Puzzle Pirates--Pirates of the Cerculean Ocean--but as I wanted it to be a community-created setting, it never really got past the planning stage.

I still like my idea of a cursed pirate commanding his crew of weresharks in the name of Poesidon as a antagonist, though.

• 1 month later...

I think the move, hit location, arms and stuff could be a bit different. A sailing ship is a significantly different beast than a car. I think it might be interesting to wrap some kind of detail around the move based on wind, combat on rough seas etc. Even the Disney's Pirates could be a good source for a cool set of adventures. They certainly have magic enough.

Wind should definitely be a factor, but generally it affects speed in certain directions. Two similarly rigged ships sailing at the same point of sail will go the same proportion of their ideal speed, so technically speaking, it can often be handwaved. Exceptions to the hand-waving being that fore-and-aft rigged ships sail into the wind better than square-rigged ships, single-masted ships sail directly downwind faster than multiple-masted ships (with more than one mast, some of the sails get obscured from the wind when moving directly downwind), and obstacles (sandbars, reefs, shorelines, etc) could make wind direction a little more important than in an open ocean battle.

EDIT:

Here's a little bit I came up with for rough seas combat:

Naval Gunfire:

Because of the action of the ocean's waves in rocking the ship, gunners on a ship suffer an additional RMod penalty equal to (the wind's Beaufort number minus 4) x2. For example, in a gentle breeze (Beaufort number 3) the penalty would be (3-4 = -1 which is less than 0) no penalty at all, but in a strong gale (Beaufort number 9) the penalty would be (9-4 = 5 x 2 =10) -10 to all RMods.

• 2 weeks later...