Second Best Game System ?

Egyptoid

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Second Best Game System ?

I bet if you made money people would have told you who had the rights ;)

Oh tell me. :dyn I went around and around with Task Force Games about their OOP stuff

and hit brick walls. And it was the mental ones that were incomprehensible.

I'm liking M&M. {dodges rocks} Its in print, and many even me like D20.

The only system I really enjoyed as much as Champions/HERO was Amber Diceless. I often wished that someone smarter than me could figure out a good way to divorce the mechanics from the setting.

These people(http://ritepublishing.com/dicelessroleplaying.html) have licensed the rights to the system and are working on a new game.

There are no other systems except HERO. Move along nothing to see here. (Though if others did exist' date=' MEGS or V&V(with a lot of house-ruling). I had the same problems with M&M[all versions']already talked about)

I could never get past V&V's need for mathematical formulae just to determine how much you can lift...that and the funky rules format written like the California Vehicle Code: "Section 22349(a)."

I have a fondness for the old Marvel Superheroes FASERIP system. It was overly limited' date=' overly simplistic, but the karma system tried to reward roleplaying a hero. It was easy and fast to learn for beginers, and it announced itself as a "beer(root if you prefer) and pretzels" game so it was honest up front. :)[/quote']

That game is especially great for getting a new player involved as it's incredibly easy to understand and play, everyone knows Spider-Man and the Incredible Hulk, and the Karma system was a great way to emphasize heroism. And with the Ultimate Powers Book there were so many options. The only real downside is that you can't really tailor powers to be just what you want them to be as in the Hero System.

Also great is that you can download all the rulebooks and almost all the adventure modules and sourcebooks online for free now!

What a fun time we had with that game!

--Kap

The game system I liked most besides hero was Star Frontiers. It was simple but fun. Must have been the gyro jet pistols or the needler pistol. Also Ive tried a few times with M&M, I recently bought 3rd edition, it always seems to vaugue , like somethings missing. First Champions I bought was when I was 13, 25 years ago. It was the old box set, that came with the viper adventure battle in Christopher Park. I think ive been around HERO so long , all systems seem weird.

I played a superhero game at a con a year or so back, but I can't recall what it was. Pretty sure it was one of the Forge's offerings. Very story-centric, but also very meta-game. There was a rule in place that essentially said, "In comic books, when the hero fights the villain he always loses the first two times they battle. Then the third time he always wins. So we've created a mechanic that guarantees a loss the first two times you meet the villain, and guarantees a win in the final confrontation."

It was based on playing cards, and the GM got a huge number of cards for the first two battles, and then got only a couple in the final battle. I didn't actually like it very much; it was way too meta. Each outcome was already pre-ordained, so there was no suspense and very little interest.

I could never get past V&V's need for mathematical formulae just to determine how much you can lift...that and the funky rules format written like the California Vehicle Code: "Section 22349(a)."

1/10th your Strength cubed x 1/10th your End x half your body weight. Currently, though that's gonna change in the new rules apparently. Those rules looking very nifty so far.....

~Rex

Old Aberrant was built like all the prior World of Darkness material. It is easy to transition into but wildly unbalanced.

What Aberrant brought to the table was an interesting SF setting (modern day-ish "Aeon/Trinity") with public & gritty superhuman powers.

This is the first system (i.e., tabletop White Wolf) I ever toolkitted. It's simple. If you have played one White Wolf game you have played them all. Much has been realized. Much is lacking. A ton is suggested. Allot pts for attributes/skills/talents/complications which need to be further sorted by the physical/mental/social characteristic spectrum. Make thematic adjustments. Allow schtick concepts as valid powers. Presume everything is to scale. Work out a prototype draft of a playable in-theme character.

If you use Aberrant, the result will be a danger to itself.

The game system I liked most besides hero was Star Frontiers. It was simple but fun. Must have been the gyro jet pistols or the needler pistol. Also Ive tried a few times with M&M' date=' I recently bought 3rd edition, it always seems to vaugue , like somethings missing. First Champions I bought was when I was 13, 25 years ago. It was the old box set, that came with the viper adventure battle in Christopher Park. I think ive been around HERO so long , all systems seem weird.[/quote']

Played Star Frontiers and liked it. The only tweak I've made was for DEX for hitting. Starting with half your stat plus level was hard to hit anything if you had a 35 score, so I just made it a straight Dex plus level. And I never played enough to worry about anybody getting to level 6 (which might have unbalanced the game).

On their site (and on Amazon) they're taking pre-orders but I didn't see any information about what the game is like or how it works.

I will get the book, but it looks to abstract for my taste. Have any of you played the system?

I've always had a fondness for the Chaosium BRP system' date=' and [i']Superworld[/i] has always held my second favorite Supers game position.

You know I have realised lately that of all the games that I have played, there is only three that I really liked the system; HERO, GURPS and BRP (and its derivative like RQ, CoC and KAP). It doesn't mean that I never enjoyed playing in other games but I did despite the system or at least the system was not a nuisance.

So to the question what would be my second choice after HERO for a Supers game? the answer would be GURPS or BRP. I'd love to see an updated Superworld book.

You know I have realised lately that of all the games that I have played, there is only three that I really liked the system; HERO, GURPS and BRP (and its derivative like RQ, CoC and KAP). It doesn't mean that I never enjoyed playing in other games but I did despite the system or at least the system was not a nuisance.

So to the question what would be my second choice after HERO for a Supers game? the answer would be GURPS or BRP. I'd love to see an updated Superworld book.

I know what you mean. I've been thinking about picking up the hardback BRP books and taking a look at how the system has evolved. It's always been a good system for pick-up games, the kind I find myself far more likely to run these days.