Second Best Game System ?

Egyptoid

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Second Best Game System ?

Dug out all my Cortex stuff so I could give it a good comparison, as well as a running side by side with the rest of my Super Hero Stuff. Just not happy with it considering what it could have been even within the limits of the Cortex System. That's before getting into the stuff that's just Wrong on the handful of sheets that are provided for the game. *sigh* Ah well. One of these days Marvel will wake up and get it right again.

~Rex

Dug out all my Cortex stuff so I could give it a good comparison, as well as a running side by side with the rest of my Super Hero Stuff. Just not happy with it considering what it could have been even within the limits of the Cortex System. That's before getting into the stuff that's just Wrong on the handful of sheets that are provided for the game. *sigh* Ah well. One of these days Marvel will wake up and get it right again.

~Rex

What's wrong? The character data files?

~Rex

"Right again?" Have they ever gotten it right? ;)

Apologies to all the FASERIP fans, but I hated that game. I've never read the other 3, so I could be wrong. :D

Hate or Love FASERIP, one thing it did do correctly was get the scale of the Characters In Line and correct vs their respective comics and comic feats. The MWP book doesn't even come close since Cortex doesn't scale well with anything really. You only Have so many Dice. Marvels own swing at the game got it Right as well, but they really didn't market or push it at all so it went the way of the dodo quickly. Again, it's very pretty, but it's also really Lazy. Got the same issues with the DC product from Green Ronin. Pretty, but Lazy, and Incorrect and off scale for many characters (Though a much improved System advance for them on the other hand). In a sense, "Hey, let's just convert this old game material from these guys over here and be done with it....."

Hell, the MWP Marvel book goes so far as to tell you that things won't Match depending on source material (Like say, the comics themselves).... That kind of stuff annoys me. One thing you could count on for FASERIP was how close it scaled to the books. Out of all that material really the only mistake I felt was just glaring was rating Nick Fury's Fighting way to low....

I can make exceptions for a systems Innate limitations. What I have issues with is, is when things are just wrong and the answer in the books is a *shrug*.....

~Rex

Got the same issues with the DC product from Green Ronin. Pretty, but Lazy, and Incorrect and off scale for many characters (Though a much improved System advance for them on the other hand). In a sense, "Hey, let's just convert this old game material from these guys over here and be done with it....."

You could tell the writers were big fans of the Marvel Family, couldn't you? But at least the numbers were somewhat familiar to me as a longtime fan of Mayfair's DC Heroes.

I personally am a fan of Silver Age Sentinels, which uses the Tri-Stat System. Its not as detailed as HERO and a lot of it is left to interpretation and whatnot, but for my players it works out better. I love HERO, but I have more than a couple non-grognards in my group, and SAS makes more sense to them, and lets me play around with rules and story more.

It may not be everyones cup of tea, but I find it works for me.

EDIT: Also, the Cortex System, used for the Serenity RPG, as well as Buffy and a few others could easily be (and may already have been) modified for supers. Fairly simple to figure out too.

I personally am a fan of Silver Age Sentinels' date=' which uses the Tri-Stat System. Its not as detailed as HERO and a lot of it is left to interpretation and whatnot, but for my players it works out better. I[/quote']

I have that, though I've never gotten past character creation with it. Seemed to be a perfectly good system.

I have been falling in love with our own Fred Hicks' Fate System. I love how it works for The Dresden Files RPG, and how it handles Pulp in "Spirit of The Century". There's a "generic" system version of Fate that has much of the crunchyness of Hero with all of the fun goodness of Evil Hat's Fate Games. The product is called Strands of Fate and has already spawned a supplement called Strands of Power. I find that I could run some really fun games with all of the above products. I may run my Urban fantasy game with either Dresden Files or Strands of Fate. It depends on how well I can fit my world into the Dresden Files framework. On top of this I find that I like how dice are less important to the system and how Fudge dice work with most dice rolls either being -1, 0 or +1 and only occasionally going to the extremes of 2, 3, or 4 plus of minus. It makes the game much more predictable.

• 2 months later...