Guided Bullets a reality

Tasha

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-self-guided-bullet-prototype-mile.html

A couple of boffins from Sandia labs have created a self guided bullet. It homes in on a laser dot on the target. They want to sell this to the Military, Law Enforcement, and of course the Enthusiast market. It is fired from a smooth barrel longarm. It uses fins to steer itself to hit the target and seems to have an accurate range out to a mile.

Re: Guided Bullets a reality

Well, as described, I'd say it's just an OCV bonus(+2 or +3) and some levels against Range mods(+4?)(since they got the shot within 8 inches, untrained fire, compared to 9 meters). A more refined version might have No Range Mods and AoE: Accurate, and/or even Indirect at the +1/2 level(can vary the direction it attacks from, and bypass some barriers/concealment).

Sounds like a miniaturized smart munition.

I would use the same basic concepts I suggested in this thread:

Spotter and Laser Designator

from the perspective of the spotter on the ground I would model it something like this:

39 Laser Designator: Sight Group and Detect Images 1" radius, +/-10 to PER Rolls, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; Applies only to Range Modifier for noticing the laser (the pilot firing the weapon); +1/4), Increased Maximum Range (2,675"; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (118 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only To Create Light (-1) - END=[1 cc]

Then just model the guided munitions with a Limited Naked Advantage that includes appropriate Advantages like No Range Modifier and AOE 1 Hex Accurate. Then add appropriate Limitations like Only If Target Illuminated By Laser Designator. The munitions could probably still be used in an un-guided old school gravity mode if a Spotter is unavailable.

The biggest difference change with a bullet sized projectile is that it just makes placing the laser designator on the firing weapon practical. Combining them is still not actually necessary though. Someone else at a different vantage point could still handle the target illumination role while the sniper double times it out there once the shot is fired in case someone notices the weapon muzzle flash.

I'm actually thinking the designator can't be on the firing weapon. At ranges where a guided bullet would be useful, the recoil from the firing weapon would be so significant compared to the precision required in aiming the laser that getting the dot back on target before impact would be a real challenge.

I'm actually thinking the designator can't be on the firing weapon. At ranges where a guided bullet would be useful' date=' the recoil from the firing weapon would be so significant compared to the precision required in aiming the laser that getting the dot back on target before impact would be a real challenge.[/quote']

Quite possibly true. It all depends on what the projectile's guidance capabilities are.

• 2 weeks later...