Skyrealms of Jorune Conversion to HERO 6E.

Fred Lang

Today I signed a two-year licensing contract with HERO Games, giving me the green light to convert the out of print '80s tabletop RPG "Skyrealms of Jorune". (Thanks, Jason! *waves*)

The author of Jorune has graciously given permission for me to use Jorune as a conversion setting so long as it is a free offering.

HOWEVER, he stated that he would authorize a paid version if he approved of the product before hand. This is my goal.

SO, at the very least, this is a labor of love and I get to play in Jorune again, as well as reintroduce it to players who may not even know the setting. At the BEST, it's an inroad to creating something that'll sell as part of the HERO System licensed properties.

What I'm aiming for, paid version or not, is a fully-illustrated, complete conversion of the entire Jorune setting, using Jorune 3E as source material.

I'm a freelance digital illustrator, currently working for Hasbro, Inc. designing and illustrating toys when they throw me work, so I'll be illustrating the conversion, to make it as pretty and professional-looking as I can. I intend for the book to be copiously illustrated--characters, races, tech--as much as I feel will help the book and not turn it into a Jorune coffee table book by accident!

I'll need playtesters (obviously) to at least look over the rules and ensure that I'm not missing something as this moves along.

I'll likely need layout help for the book itself.

I'll need someone who knows a little about astronomy--Jorune's moons affect play considerably, and their movements are listed in a table in the 3E of Jorune. I'd like to build a cosmological map to make this easier to understand.

See? Lots of work.

Now, I've got a meeting at Hasbro HQ in late May--so work can't start in earnest until that's done. Too much portfolio work needs to get done before then--and this project will always be SECONDARY to my freelance illustration work, which is my day job (and night job, and weekend job, and holiday job...you get the picture!).

My goal is to get the entire conversion together prior to the expiration of the two-year contract, giving the HERO Powers That Be time to look at and hopefully approve the book. It's a giant undertaking, and I'm under no illusions regarding the amount of work it'll take, so I'm not going to make promises about timelines I can't guarantee.

IF you're interested, I'll happily slap your name prominently into the appropriate category(ies) for your contributions to the book, whatever those end up being! If you know someone who might be interested in this kind of project, send them to the FB page I set up for the conversion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/skyrealmsofjoruneconversion/

I'll also be shooting questions all over the rules section of this forum in order to brain-drain you veteran HERO folks.

Alrighty...thanks for reading. Off to draw...

Fred Lang

Re: Skyrealms of Jorune Conversion to HERO 6E.

WOW! That's awsome news! I wish you the best of success on this project. Also' date=' thank you to the author for letting this happen! :D[/quote']

Thanks! Now I just gotta do the hours and hours of work necessary to ensure that this isn't just another incomplete, abandoned conversion! Yay! *haha*

It is pure King Arthur to work Mithras of Rome and the Persian Empire into fantasy or Mythic Hero. Look up Mithras on the internet to get the degrees perfect for making wizards and clerics out of. Crow' date=' Mercury; Nymphus, Venus; Soldier, Mars; Lion, Jupiter; Heliodromus (sun-runner, white horseman Book of Revelation) the Sun, Father (wizardly robes of luxury) Saturn, father of fathers, King (Divine Rights King Louis XVI), and King of Kings ( the current emperor of Rome's archenemy and why St John died). Evidence for the electric battery in the Persian area 155 BC would be like the invention of the electric battery in the 1780's for A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. The 1807 carbon arc lamp would be a miracle in Mithras for all devout to behold. Making sodium from quenching a carbon arc in molten salt would be black magic and Greek fire. Reducing corundum with sodium to make aluminum strengthened by aluminum oxide impurities is magic sword, shield and armor to be used by King Arthur. Sodium would be kept under olive oil for chucking by catapult at hostile ships. I hope this helps your authoring work.[/quote']

V, I think you accidentally responded to the wrong thread! *haha* ;-)

Wow.

I've never played in the setting; I've never even seen a copy of the setting. But I remember on the Usenet gaming forums (back when they mattered) how a select number of gamers simply raved about the setting.

In other words, I probably wouldn't be much help, but you've got at least one sale here. Best of luck with the project!

There was a detailed Jorune-to-4E HERO conversion PDF freely available on the now-defunct jorune.org website. I was able to locate it on the Internet, but for reasons which defy my limited technical skills I can't download it. However, I can make it available to you for viewing online -- it may be of use to you:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1IYjWfsgrq7eBeutBrCEvr9F4FeGlICUTm6042DuJ4ZZH0fT50TO33jaP5J8e

Many thanks! Seeing what's been done before, whether I use the idea or not, is like finding a mental gold mine--thank you, LL!

There was a detailed Jorune-to-4E HERO conversion PDF freely available on the now-defunct jorune.org website. I was able to locate it on the Internet' date=' but for reasons which defy my limited technical skills I can't download it. However, I can make it available to you for viewing online -- it may be of use to you:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1IYjWfsgrq7eBeutBrCEvr9F4FeGlICUTm6042DuJ4ZZH0fT50TO33jaP5J8e

There was a detailed Jorune-to-4E HERO conversion PDF freely available on the now-defunct jorune.org website. I was able to locate it on the Internet' date=' but for reasons which defy my limited technical skills I can't download it. However, I can make it available to you for viewing online -- it may be of use to you:

You have to sign into Goggle in order to download it. Once you sign in, the download button is in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

You have to sign into Goggle in order to download it. Once you sign in' date=' the download button is in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Thank you for sharing this with us. :)[/quote']

When I first located that PDF via a search I couldn't download it from the link provided. After I got it to display on Google I signed in and found the download button as you describe, but it still won't download for me. :(

But thank you for the suggestion. :)

Well' date=' that sucks rocks. I was able to download it once I logged into Goggle.[/quote']

Excellent! Would you be willing to Attach it to a post on this thread (assuming it's small enough)? That would probably be much more convenient for Strongbow (and others) to refer to than reading it online.

Excellent! Would you be willing to Attach it to a post on this thread (assuming it's small enough)? That would probably be much more convenient for Strongbow (and others) to refer to than reading it online.

Maybe because I use Chrome and Gmail as my primaries, but it downloaded and saved with no fuss for me. Still--good for others just in case the download doesn't work so well!

Sure. :D