What "Pulp" have you read lately ?

st barbara

Re: What "Pulp" have you read lately ?

Baen Books published a couple of" Spider" novels (I have "City Of Doom" and "Robot Titans Of Gotham") in 2008.

Were these reprints like the Nostalgia Adventures reprints of Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Avenger, etc or were these from the anthology of new stories?

• 2 weeks later...

Were these reprints like the Nostalgia Adventures reprints of Doc Savage' date=' The Shadow, The Avenger, etc or were these from the anthology of new stories?[/quote']

Looking at "City Of Doom" it appears to be a reprint collection (not a novel, as I first thought) of three stories from 1935, 1939 and 1940, similar story with "Robot Titans Of Gotham" (stories from 1939 and 1935).

I love Sax Rohmer. In the sea of Yellow Peril stories he was an island of progressive thinking and compelling writing.

True. Rohmer gets tagged as a racist a lot for his oriental villains, but the good doctor really is the star of the series. Denis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie even though they are more out in front in the stories really are just supporting characters.

True. Rohmer gets tagged as a racist a lot for his oriental villains' date=' but the good doctor really is the star of the series. Denis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie even though they are more out in front in the stories really are just supporting characters.[/quote']

The genius of Fu Manchu is that Rohmer was a student of the Far East and it showed in his work. Fu Manchu was not a villain, he was a hero fighting for 'the other side'. He simply wanted to do to Europe and the Americas what had been done to China.

• 5 weeks later...

My latest attempt to collect ALL of the "Doc Savage" novels (Why didn't I do this 50 years ago I ask myself )has netted me six new books and nine titles (3 Bantam single volumes, two Bantam double and a Sanctum double). Actually it is eight new titles with "The Secret In The Sky" being a duplication of one I already had. In Bantam it is paired with "Cold Death" while in the larger Sanctum format it is with "The Giggling Ghosts".

My latest attempt to collect ALL of the "Doc Savage" novels (Why didn't I do this 50 years ago I ask myself )has netted me six new books and nine titles (3 Bantam single volumes' date=' two Bantam double and a Sanctum double). Actually it is eight new titles with "The Secret In The Sky" being a duplication of one I already had. In Bantam it is paired with "Cold Death" while in the larger Sanctum format it is with "The Giggling Ghosts".[/quote']

I have about 70 in the Bantam singles and doubles. I have to resort to getting them all in mobi format for my kindle so I could finally read them all.

My "score" as far as "Doc Savage" is concerned is 21 single volumes (including 2 hardcovers) 7 bantam doubles, 12 Nostalgia Ventures/ Sanctum doubles (but only 22 stories, some duplication), 13 omnibusus ( a total of 54 stories, again some duplication) and 8 later (1990's) volumes oh and two more recent (2011) trade paperbacks. I recently read "The Lost Oasis" and it made me wonder. The miniature machine guns that Doc and Co use are always described as making "a roar like a bull fiddle". So exactly WHAT is a "bull fiddle" and what does it sound like ?

Correct. That's the reference. You beat me to it :)

Yay! What do I win?

(And just to make this on topic, the last pulp I read was in the library today when I sat down with The Spider Chronicles, a book of short stories about The Spider from modern writers. I also discovered they just got in a copy of Kim Newman's Anno Dracula: The Bloody Red Baron, which I'd been looking for for some time. Score!)

The only "bull fiddle" reference I'm aware of is that it's another name for a musical instrument usually called the string bass or double bass.

Ah ! Thank you "Zen Archer". Not being musically inclined I didn't realise that. It makes it easier to imagine what those miniature machine guns that Doc and his crew use sound like man. (I imagined a higher pitched note, like a screaming violin !)

Ah ! Thank you "Zen Archer". Not being musically inclined I didn't realise that. It makes it easier to imagine what those miniature machine guns that Doc and his crew use sound like man. (I imagined a higher pitched note' date=' like a screaming violin !)[/quote']

It was likely a reference to the Jazz of the period and "slapping the Bull Fiddle" which made a deep thrum and chatter.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not so much that they are bumbling goons, though they do tend to travel with too little backup, as that they are hopelessly outclassed. Smith is about a 100 point character and Petrie about 50 points. Fu on the other hand is at least 300 points of pulp villain. Without Karamaneh Nayland Smith and Petrie would be toast.

It's not so much that they are bumbling goons' date=' though they do tend to travel with too little backup, as that they are hopelessly outclassed. Smith is about a 100 point character and Petrie about 50 points. Fu on the other hand is at least 300 points of pulp villain. Without Karamaneh Nayland Smith and Petrie would be toast.[/quote']

Being a 100 point character is no excuse for, having twice encountered Fu Manchu defending his HQ with a cloud of incapacitating spores, _not_ investing in a war surplus gas mask. Or for that matter not getting that when Karamaneh suddenly claims to have no recollection of you that this may be connected with the amnesia drug that you know from previous experience that Fu Manchu has. Seriously.

• 2 weeks later...