What "Pulp" have you read lately ?

st barbara

Not quite what you're asking about, because it's pulp fact, though very inspirational, Beasts, Men and Gods is a great read. Dealing with the Mad Baron, it was well received- here is a review, followed by author information from wikipedia.

Once I picked it up, I did not put it down until it was finished.. Adventure, revolution, politics, spies, travel, eastern religions, geology, survival are just a short list of items covered in this compelling book. -Robert Ferguson, February 18, 2009

After Kolchak's defeat in 1920, Ossendowski joined a group of Poles and White Russians trying to escape from communist-controlled Siberia to India through Mongolia, China and Tibet. After a journey of several thousand miles the group reached Chinese-controlled Mongolia, only to be stopped there by the take-over of the country led by mysterious Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg. The Baron was a mystic who was fascinated by the beliefs and religions of the Far East such as Buddhism and Lamaism, and who believed himself to be a reincarnation of Kangchendzönga, the Mongolian god of war. Ungern-Sternberg's philosophy was an exceptionally muddled mixture of Russian nationalism with Chinese and Mongol beliefs. However he also proved to be an exceptional military commander and his forces grew rapidly.Ossendowski joined the baron's army as a commanding officer of one of the self-defense troops. He also briefly became Ungern von Sternberg's political advisor and chief of intelligence. Little is known of his service at the latter post, which adds to Ossendowski's legend as a mysterious person. In late 1920 he was sent with a diplomatic mission to Japan and then the USA, never to return to Mongolia. Some writers believe that Ossendowski was one of the people who hid the semi-mythical treasures of the Bloody Baron. After his arrival to New York, Ossendowski started to work for the Polish diplomatic service and possibly as a spy. At the same time, in late 1921 he published his first English language book: Beasts, Men and Gods. The novel, a description of his travels during the Russian Civil War and the wars led by the Bloody Baron, became a striking success and a best-seller. In 1923 it was translated into Polish and then into several other languages.

Check out the table of contents.

PART I. DRAWING LOTS WITH DEATH

CHAPTER

I. INTO THE FORESTS

II. THE SECRET OF MY FELLOW TRAVELER

III. THE STRUGGLE FOR LIFE

IV. A FISHERMAN

V. A DANGEROUS NEIGHBOR

VI. A RIVER IN TRAVAIL

VII. THROUGH SOVIET SIBERIA

VIII. THREE DAYS ON THE EDGE OF A PRECIPICE

IX. TO THE SAYANS AND SAFETY

X. THE BATTLE OF THE SEYBI

XI. THE BARRIER OF RED PARTISANS

XII. IN THE COUNTRY OF ETERNAL PEACE

XIII. MYSTERIES, MIRACLES AND A NEW FIGHT

XIV. THE RIVER OF THE DEVIL

XV. THE MARCH OF GHOSTS

XVI. IN MYSTERIOUS TIBET

PART II. THE LAND OF DEMONS

XVII. MYSTERIOUS MONGOLIA

XVIII. THE MYSTERIOUS LAMA AVENGER

XIX. WILD CHAHARS

XX. THE DEMON OF JAGISSTAI

XXI. THE NEST OF DEATH

XXII. AMONG THE MURDERERS

XXIII. ON A VOLCANO

XXIV. A BLOODY CHASTISEMENT

XXV. HARASSING DAYS

XXVI. THE BAND OF WHITE HUNGHUTZES

XXVII. MYSTERY IN A SMALL TEMPLE

XXVIII. THE BREATH OF DEATH

PART III. THE STRAINING HEART OF ASIA

XXIX. ON THE ROAD OF GREAT CONQUERORS

XXX. ARRESTED!

XXXI. TRAVELING BY "URGA"

XXXII. AN OLD FORTUNE TELLER

XXXIII. "DEATH FROM THE WHITE MAN WILL STAND BEHIND YOU"

XXXIV. THE HORROR OF WAR!

XXXV. IN THE CITY OF LIVING GODS, 30,000 BUDDHAS AND 60,000 MONKS

XXXVI. A SON OF CRUSADERS AND PRIVATEERS

XXXVII. THE CAMP OF MARTYRS

Dynamite is also publishing comics starring the Green Hornet (written by Mark Waid) and The Black Bat, as well as a Shadow:Year One mini written by Matt Wagner. There's also a mini-series event called Masks featuring all the before mentioned characters plus The Spider, a new Zorro, and Golden Age comic characters The Black Terror and Miss Fury. The latter also has a new comic but the first issue was enough to turn me off entirely.

The results, IMO, have been decidedly mixed. The Green Hornet book has been great so far, and the Black Bat shows promise. The Shadow books are hit and miss, Masks is mediocre and I dropped the Spider some months back.

• 3 months later...

Recently got "Skull Island" delivered from "Amazon", but I am WAY behind on reading "Doc". I started "The Sargasso Ogre" yesterday and find it a little bit different to some of the other books with a more violent Doc visiting retribution on the bad guys. Another reference book that people might like to look at is "Bobb" Cotter's "A History Of The Doc Savage Adventures In Pulps, Comics.Fanzines,Radio and Film" (McFarland& Company, 2009).

• 6 months later...

I had a stroke of luck and uncovered a cache of the old Bantam "Doc Savage" novels in a second hand bookshop. Not cheap these days, but because I am got twenty odd of them at once I gat them for about $7.00 Australian each instead of their cover price of $9.00. I'll pay them the rest of the money I owe them ($50.00) tomorrow, and see if they have any more titles that I don't have lying around. I now have over 160 of the stories including some of the new ones that are being published at the moment !

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished re-reading Grant Morrison's Society of Superheroes: 

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-multiversity-2014/the-multiversity-the-society-of-super-heroes-conquerors-of-the-counter

Featuring a Doctor Fate / Doc Savage mash-up as one of the main characters! Filled with the requisite pulpy action!! Go read it now!!!  If you're into that sort of thing...

Dark Horse is also publishing a Grendel vs The Shadow mini series which looks interesting, but will withhold judgement until i can read all the issues. 

• 2 months later...

I liked Phillip Jose Farmer's little-known Mars pulp stories, he did them as an homage to the Barsoom books and they're fun reading.  Its not exactly pulp but I read a great hard boiled detective book called The Fabulous Clipjoint a while back by an author I'd never heard of from the era: Fredric Brown.  He's hard to find now, sadly.

I liked Phillip Jose Farmer's little-known Mars pulp stories, he did them as an homage to the Barsoom books and they're fun reading. Its not exactly pulp but I read a great hard boiled detective book called The Fabulous Clipjoint a while back by an author I'd never heard of from the era: Fredric Brown. He's hard to find now, sadly.

Fredric Brown is one of my favorite science fiction writers. As for his detective novels, I've only read one so far. Been looking for The Fabulous Clipjoint for years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Atomic-Robo a superb comic about a robot built by Nikola Tesla has gone web comic rather than conventional publishing. It has a lot of pulp elements currently it's updating with 1 issue of the  Mon, Wed and Fri and it's right in the middle of Vol 5, Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science.  

in which Atomic Robo meets Jack Tarot (A vigilante styled gunman who fights crime and leaves tarot cards as marks of his work.).

Jack mentors Robo in vigilantism. Very reluctantly. Meanwhile, mobsters from the Chicago and New York syndicates raid hightech firms. The famed Crystal Skull of F.A. Mitchell-Hedges is also stolen. 

• 1 month later...

Just FYI, if you aren't already aware of it, allow me to recommend something called "American Book Exchange," or ABE as a source for books.  For example, I looked up Hardluck Hannigan on Amazon and could only find a couple of the books in actual print format (personally, I hate e-book/MOBI/Kindle -- much prefer to hold a book in my hands -- though I'll buy them if I simply can't find the book anywhere else).  But on ABE, I found multiple copies for differing prices depending on what you want, plus multiple offerings of the first six novels in an Omnibus format (two novels per Omnibus), which is a cheaper way to buy them.  And the books on Amazon were roughly twice the price of what I found on ABE.

I'm sure if you go to the ABE web site and take a look, you can find just about anything you want on there in various formats and prices.  Little known fact:  ABE is actually the most commonly used ordering system for out-of-print, or even IN-print, by many locally owned bookstores (I don't know if the big chains use it or not) -- it's how they can tell you "Oh, I can get you that!" because they can just order it from some other bookstore, or direct from the manufacturer via ABE.  Of course they have other sites they can use that people like us can't, but ABE has been my source for little-known books for well over a decade now.  Check it out -- you won't be sorry!

• 3 weeks later...