Video Game Martial Arts (Coments Welcomed)

steriaca

Hear is my rougth draft of "Video Game Martial Arts" using the Hero System Martial Arts book. Enjoy.

Maneuver/Points/Phase/OCV/DCV/Damage And Effect

Air Block/5/ 1/2 /+2/+0/Block, Abort, FMove

Basic Block/3/ 1/2 /+2/+1/Block, Abort

Beta Counter/4/ 1/2 /+2/+3/STR Strike, Follow Basic Block or Turtling (as defined by player)

Fatal Attack/5/ 1+ /-2/-2/STR+4DC Killing Strike, Unbalancing, You 'Fall' (acualy, if your charater misses the attack, treat like thay fell, except thay are still on there feet...Breakfall does not help to avoid)

Footsweep/4/ 1/2 /+2/+0/STR+1d6 Strike, Target Falls (May also be defined as a 'fistsweep' instead...same manuver, difrent limb)

Hard Attack/4/ 1/2 /+1 -2/STR+3d6 Strike

Light Attack/3/ 1/2 /+1/+2/STR Strike

Mediem Attack/4/ 1/2 /+1/+1/STR+2d6 Strike

Position Shift/3/ 1/2 /+0/+3/Dodge, Abort (A rarity amoung "2D" fighters, common amoung "3D" fighters)

Power Attack/3/ 1/2 /-2/+0/STR+4d6, Lasting Restrictions

Rush Attack/3/ 1/2 /+0/-1/STR+v/10 Strike, FMove (Can be used to simulate any running strike, or jumping strike)

Spin Grab And Toss/5/ 1+ /-2/+0/Grab Opponent, STR+4d6, Throw, Requiers Both Hands, You Fall, Half Move Requiered

Turtling/3/ 1/2 /+3/+1/Block, Abort, Follow Basic Block

Skills:

Acrobatics

Breakfall

Re: Video Game Martial Arts (Coments Welcomed)

Are theses going to be manuevers that each fighter can use. Or is it a list of manuevers which a fighter can choose his style from? Either way, in my experience, it helps to limit the manuever list so you as a GM know what is being used.

Postion shift-why are you making them spend points on a dodge which they can do for free? It is a everyman manuever. Am I missing something?

Are theses going to be manuevers that each fighter can use. Or is it a list of manuevers which a fighter can choose his style from? Either way' date=' in my experience, it helps to limit the manuever list so you as a GM know what is being used.[/quote']

Theas manuvers are mostly based on 'common' manuvers found in most video fighting games (well, except Fatal Attack, which is mostly a stand in for 'Fatality' from Mortal Kombat, in a lesser form). In general, players can pick and chose, othoe based on the 'game' the charater came from the GM might requier certan manuvers (for example, a 'Street Fighter' must buy Light Attack, Mediem Attack, and Hard Attack, Basic Block, and Air Block).

Postion shift-why are you making them spend points on a dodge which they can do for free? It is a everyman manuever. Am I missing something?

Position Shift is for 2D fighting charaters who have a limited 'dodge' ability (I'm looking at you, Fatal Fury and Samuri Showdown) and charaters with a limited dodge (looking at you, Cody Travis from Street Fighter Alpha 3/Street Fighter 4). It could also repersent the dodge ability of 3D fighters also.

Normaly, 2D fighter charaters can not dodge (no eveyman dodge for them). 3D fighters can dodge.

Prehaps a complication that thay have problems when it is not a one-on-one fight?

Position Shift is for 2D fighting charaters who have a limited 'dodge' ability (I'm looking at you, Fatal Fury and Samuri Showdown) and charaters with a limited dodge (looking at you, Cody Travis from Street Fighter Alpha 3/Street Fighter 4). It could also repersent the dodge ability of 3D fighters also.

Normaly, 2D fighter charaters can not dodge (no eveyman dodge for them). 3D fighters can dodge.

Prehaps a complication that thay have problems when it is not a one-on-one fight?

I see what your getting at with the 2D characters. This though is a translation issue. Yes in game, 2D maybe don't have the ability, but in Hero terms, everyone can, and you might have some complaints about it. I can see limiting who can buy martial dodge. I.e, allowing 3d to buy it but not 2d.

Got to say, I liked some of the manuever names too. I was alsways going to do a Mortal Kombat game, alas I never did. Oh and one idea I've used for tournament fighters, is buying additional csl with the limitation only in tournament fights. As for the complication, I can't quite remember if a character takes a Vulnerabilty or psy lim, but can define the character takes either a -2 to OCV or DCV or both vs a specific style, or you can go broader suchs as linear styles vs circular styles. So you could do this 2D vs 3d. My other point about 2d vs 3d up thread was that even though those characters were limited(2D) that was because of technology, not the fighter per se. But as I was writing this, I remember the movie Zorro (Antonio Banderas) and the training sequence and learning to fight in the round, which I believed is mention under fencing-spanish school in the hero system martial arts book. And Olympic fencing is a straight line. I don't know quite how to rationlize it in game but in a sense that is what the comparison is between 2D and 3D could be.

It doesn't look too different from what you did with 5th. I'll have to have a closer look/compare and contrast when I get home (presuming I remember once I get home... that's getting to be more and more of an issue :P)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/577-Fighting-Game-Hero?p=717290#post717290

It doesn't look too different from what you did with 5th. I'll have to have a closer look/compare and contrast when I get home (presuming I remember once I get home... that's getting to be more and more of an issue :P)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/577-Fighting-Game-Hero?p=717290#post717290

I think I did well, concidering I was going off memory, and unfamiliarity with 6ed (even now, I only have the Basic Rulesbook, both APG books, and Hero System Martial arts, and have 6ed book one on order).

Thanks for the link...I reserve the rights to add new versions of attacks I missed in this version (like Air Grab And Throw).