Bas-Lag setting

thehomemaster

No idea if this has been done, but I'm looking to make an RPG based on China Mievilles Bas-Lag trilogy and have decided to use the Hero system for it.

So far I have been making templates for the various races and reading up on how combat works. But are there any tips for making an original campaign, and one based on ready-made lore?

Re: Bas-Lag setting

I'm pretty sure there are some random notes scattered here and there on the forums that could give you some of what you're looking for...racial packages, creature writeups, etc.

As far as putting together a campaign based on existing books, movies, etc, my advice is to go back through and re-read (or re-watch, in the case of movies) every scrap of material you can get your hands on, taking extensive notes on everything. You may find that, as you systematize your notes, there are gaps that are not filled in the canon, and that's where you'll have to improvise. One of the gaps I can remember specifically for a campaign I did was Nehwonian money. Lankhmar's monetary system is pretty explicitly described, and Eastern money is at least alluded to, but there's not a single reference to whatever kind of money was used in the Eight Cities. Of course, Wikipedia makes a lot of this easier, as the broad strokes at least are usually already online.

Re: Bas-Lag setting

Sad to hear that Curufea left...

But this an extremely rich setting and I'd love to see builds etc. If I weren't knee deep in other projects I'd certainly like to dig into this myself.

I'd certainly pick up a third party title on these books just for the source material and the art. And I'd love to see a book devoted to New Crobuzon (did I spell that right) as a setting.

• 2 weeks later...