Dark Champions: The Animated Series

tcabril

I got hooked on Hero System because I wanted to play Champions - now that I have been working my way through the rules and expanding my horizons I started to figure out what sort of game I wanted to run.

I read through all the Champions books then bought Pulp Hero and then Dark Champions and I have to say WOW Dark Champions is the setting I have been dreaming of.

I wanted to run a more Iron Age game with Champions but I wanted to have the PCs be some of the first Super Powered beings to come on to the scene (I did this years ago using TSR's Marvel Superheroes FASERIP system - and it was a success - longest game I ever ran - 3 years).

The PCs are either hardware or skilled characters or mutants (first generation) or some other low-powered superheros who fight regular criminals for awhile then, just as they did, supervillians start poping up.

As an aside when I ran my old game - my favorite moment for the PCs came after months of gaming fighting muggers, kidnappers and other assorted "street" criminals (and getting slammed in the press and harrrased by the cops) they went to stop a jewerly store hiest and ran into thier first supervillian - a mutant who could shoot electricity out of her hands and could fly. The looks on thier faces was pricesless - "we are not the only ones anymore..."

So I figured Dark Champions was the way to do this. I just picked up Dark Champions: the Animated Series book and it is perfect.

Any recomendations as to what CP I sould give my PCs - normally its 175 for Dark Champions but I figured 250 for the superhero (low powered aspect).

Any recomendations?

Todd

Re: Dark Champions: The Animated Series

DC:TAS has two "styles" of animated series play, heroic Hudson City Knights and superheroic Hudson City Powers. Hudson City Knights is the more "realistic" one and recommends PCs at the powerful heroic level (100 + 100 disadvantages). In 6th edition, powerful heroic characters are built on 225 points (175 + "50" in complications). That seems about right for me. This is the value I went with my currently running heroic Urban Fantasy Vigilante game. The opposition in that game, mainly consisting of people from Predators and the Hero System Bestiary, has worked pretty well besides some slight increases to OCV/DCV.

Hudson City Powers is a superheroic setting and recommends PCs at the low-powered superheroes level (150 + 100 disadvantages). In 6th edition, low-powered superheroes are built on 300 points (240 + "60" in complications). That seems about right to me though I have no experience there to back it up.

If you don't have it already, I also recommend Hudson City: The Urban Abyss. It's a pretty nice setting book and has saved me a ton of time from having to make my own city.