Primary & Secondary CHA

Zaratustra

I've been thinking of dissociating figured characteristics from primary ones. Here is the chart I've thought up:

All primary stats but BODY and COM are changed to +1 for 1 point.

PD & ED start at 2, SPD at 2, REC at 4, END and STUN at 20, with normal progression costs.

OCV = 3 + (1 per 4points), DCV = 3 +(1/4), OECV = 3 + (1/3), DECV = 3+(1/2).

What are the systems other people use? And doesn't STR get too expensive without the 110% of coupled characteristics?

Guest Keneton

Im not sure wht your problem with figured characteristics is? You dont feel that incredibly strong and durable characters are harder to knock out or get up faster, or that olympic level reflexes help you move faster?

What is wrong with them?

That said even without figured chracteristics Strength is a great buy. It looks like you want to run a low powered game so it should never get too expensive.

Dont make base CV cost points. You will indeed break down the sytem and make a mess of combat in short order. The difference between pure CV and levels are that CV is in many ways inherint and or persitant. You are 0 when KO'd but even when stunned only 1/2 DCV. Other non persistant things shut off at the end of the segment when stunned. Your CV charcteristic would not.

Making CV a buyable chracteristic (especially at a large reduction to its present cost) is a huge problem, much bigger than any you'd have with figured. I dont want to come off as slamming your idea, but I am urging caution.

Also FRED already provides a device for eliminating the bonuses to Secondary Chracteristics from Primary Charcateristics. There is a limitation . . . No Figured Cha (-1/2) that will solve your problem without contorting the system.

Good luck.:)

Guest Keneton

Other Observations:

You have reduced the cost for Ego and Dex, which under this system seems ok. I just get jittery thinkin about 30 Dex costing 20 points!

If evryone strts out at 20 END, then powers sure will stink and charcters will be so lame in combat. You'll never see pushing. Also no one will by End, they'll buy End reserve charges or reduced End powers.

Stun starting at 20 is even worse. This makes a NND martial strike or a choke hold a gamer, and dont even get me started on drains. In your sytem a 5d6 drain (50 active) is likely to completly finish off a charcter. Imagine an Ego drain in your sytem or even an end drain! In fact all adjusment powers would be a mess.

Who would have a high speed?

Could you use the sytem with existing characters?

No one will wake up post 12 with a recovery that starts at 4 and cost 2 pts per. Under your sytem it would be silly to buy it. Would you spend 12 point to get a 10 REC or ghet +12 Dex?

Good Luck:D

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by Zaratustra

Uh... you know, you CAN buy the characteristics up normally.

I did read that part. That does not matter. An average super has 40+ Stun and 45+ End. To buy this on your system would cost 20+ for the Stun and 12+ for the End. Also my point on drains is very legitimate. If charcteristics that normally cost 3 cp are drained at 1 cp then the drain is 3x as effective. Normally a 5d6 Drain vs Dex would net an everage 17 pp or 6 Dex lost. Under your system they lose 17 Dex. That is a HUGE differenace, butthen agian you seem to have CV seperate (see below)

Also if CV is a characteristic and not a level it can be drained or suppresed with little difficulty. Imagine a drain vs. CV with you having a point of CV costing 4 points. 6 dice = -6 OCV and DCV on average!!

You posted the idea to get feedback. I'm sorry if you don't like the answer, but what I am saying makes sense. Did you consieder the alternative of the limitation "Doesn't add to figured."? This might solve the issue once again.

Thanks for the good thread.

:)

It's certainly a different idea but if it works for your campaign, then go ahead. However, I'll throw this out for your consideration: the Hero Games books have gone through 4 changes/updates resulting in the 5th Edition rulebook. Not once in all the changes have the statistics changed. I'm sure that someone would have changed them if it really needed changing. Again however, you're the master of your ship and if you want to steer it into unknown territory, go for it. For myself, I think I'll stay in familiar territory.