Beware of late night commercials.....

Badger

Some commercial a couple hours ago was mentioning the MMA. I was only half paying attention (working on computer) so I heard instead of MMA but "anime"

This got me thinking of MMA anime. That actually sounded like a cool idea for a minute. I think I must be way too tired. :joint:

Re: Beware of late night commercials.....

Were you thinking of a style or game or both? When you think of anime' date=' what are you thinking of? sounds like a good brain exercise anyways. :)[/quote']

Well, probably brain exercise for me personally to be honest :o But, I thought it worth mentioning, cause it might give someone else an idea.

Well for starters' date=' I think that the fighters would have distinctive costumes, not no-shirted as in the UFC. And second, there would be alot of jumping techniques. And perhaps some ki techniques would be more common place?[/quote']

Actually, you're describing any number of fighting games. Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters, Soul Calibur.... all of these feature fighters from around the world, each with a distinctive look (and fighting style), jumping techniques, throws, block, trips, strikes, and chi powers.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of anime series and an entire genre of video games built around the concept of a global circuit of no-holds-barred combat sports whose participants become internationally renowned even if the fights themselves are theoretically illegal. Street Fighter in its many incarnations is the most obvious example, but Tekken and King of Fighters are built around similar premises.

Ranma 1/2 actually has a sort of similar setup, where just about everyone the protagonist meets has some sort of weird martial arts training and combat style -- and they all want to fight him for various reasons. Thus there is a sharp concentration of powerful fighters in a single Tokyo neighborhood. And there are many competitions where martial arts is combined with non-combat disciplines, such as rhythmic gymnastics and figure skating. Yes, figure skating.

There are a lot of anime series and an entire genre of video games built around the concept of a global circuit of no-holds-barred combat sports whose participants become internationally renowned even if the fights themselves are theoretically illegal. Street Fighter in its many incarnations is the most obvious example' date=' but Tekken and King of Fighters are built around similar premises.[/quote']

I disagree with the illegal part. In most fighting games these days, it's pretty much a given the whole thing is part of an international competition, akin to the World Cup. That said, Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat are clear exceptions to the rule.

I disagree with the illegal part. In most fighting games these days' date=' it's pretty much a given the whole thing is part of an international competition, akin to the World Cup. That said, [i']Soul Calibur[/i] and Mortal Kombat are clear exceptions to the rule.

Speaking of illegal though whatabout illegal manuevers? As in rules wise you can buy say eye gouge, but in a tournament, if used, it would be considered illegal.

Speaking of illegal though whatabout illegal manuevers? As in rules wise you can buy say eye gouge' date=' but in a tournament, if used, it would be considered illegal.[/quote']

Depends on the setting, I guess. In more underground tournaments, it might just be 'anything goes' while in more wide-spread and legal fighting competitions, it would be disallowed.

There are a lot of anime series and an entire genre of video games built around the concept of a global circuit of no-holds-barred combat sports whose participants become internationally renowned even if the fights themselves are theoretically illegal. Street Fighter in its many incarnations is the most obvious example, but Tekken and King of Fighters are built around similar premises.

Ranma 1/2 actually has a sort of similar setup, where just about everyone the protagonist meets has some sort of weird martial arts training and combat style -- and they all want to fight him for various reasons. Thus there is a sharp concentration of powerful fighters in a single Tokyo neighborhood. And there are many competitions where martial arts is combined with non-combat disciplines, such as rhythmic gymnastics and figure skating. Yes, figure skating.

I'm still waiting for Martial Arts Role Playing style myself. But how would it be writen up?

I disagree with the illegal part. In most fighting games these days' date=' it's pretty much a given the whole thing is part of an international competition, akin to the World Cup. That said, [i']Soul Calibur[/i] and Mortal Kombat are clear exceptions to the rule.

Well, Mortal Kombat is not considered illegal per say...the fate of the universe IS tied to the compition, and killing IS alowed thanks to the rules of the orginzator.

Depends on the setting' date=' I guess. In more underground tournaments, it might just be 'anything goes' while in more wide-spread and legal fighting competitions, it would be disallowed.[/quote']

Actually what I was thinking (though I haven't seen it) is the potentially deadly tournament but with rules. In the Warlord of Mars, John Carter describes fighting a thern thusly:

"The fellow was a clever swordsman-resourceful and extremely tricky. In fact, he seemed never to have heard that there existed such a thing as a code of honor, for he repeatedly outraged a dozen Barsoomian fighting customs that an honorable man would rather die than ignore."

So we mainly see no-holds barred as illegal/underground, but they don't have to be. (Maybe still in the U.S. but maybe in other countries?)