Horror Hero

Deathclaw

Re: Horror Hero

There are some Stupid GM Tricks one can pull to increase player attachment to NPCs

In my CoC game, I created a lot of the NPCs based on the jobs and interests of the characters. I used those NPCs a lot, and found ways to make it clear that the more the players brought them into the actual adventuring, the more danger the NPCs were in. Of course, this was CoC, where players are much less likely to think their characters are immortal.

There are some Stupid GM Tricks one can pull to increase player attachment to NPCs

Having your players write them up is one.

Another I've posted before (which can tie in with the first) is the "teaser" scene, where you have the players play a squad of lower powered characters right at the beginning so you can give a nice preview of the opposition and hit them with the gloves off. Any survivors of the scene can be brought in later as NPC's

Those ideas might work . . . and were something we didn't think of.

Granted, we've got one player that just wouldn't care either way because it wouldn't be "their" character . . just a throw-away basically. Of course, that's where my other post about having the right players/mindset comes into play.

Those ideas might work . . . and were something we didn't think of.

Granted, we've got one player that just wouldn't care either way because it wouldn't be "their" character . . just a throw-away basically. Of course, that's where my other post about having the right players/mindset comes into play.

The nice thing about doing the Teaser scene is that you can use it to motivate the players. If you make it clear that anyone surviving the prologue will represent the available pool of reinforcements, and possible replacement characters (possibly with a promised XP Bonus, say +25, for the sudden PC upgrade) in the event of casualties among the primary characters (Edit: This also plants the idea that PC lives aren't, in fact, sacrosanct). Gives 'em solid motive to keep their mooks alive, thus increasing investment.

The nice thing about doing the Teaser scene is that you can use it to motivate the players. If you make it clear that anyone surviving the prologue will represent the available pool of reinforcements' date=' and possible replacement characters (possibly with a promised XP Bonus, say +25, for the sudden PC upgrade) in the event of casualties among the primary characters (Edit: This also plants the idea that PC lives aren't, in fact, sacrosanct). Gives 'em solid motive to keep their mooks alive, thus increasing investment.[/quote']

Again, only if the player(s) in question can be motivated that way.

I still like your idea/suggestion though. Not trying to discount it or anything, if that seems like what I'm doing.

Again, only if the player(s) in question can be motivated that way.

I still like your idea/suggestion though. Not trying to discount it or anything, if that seems like what I'm doing.

I didn't take it that way, just riffing on the original idea to make it more motivational for that sort of player.. I've had 'em at my table before, too.