Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigbywolfe

Is it too early to start the "official" gencon 2012 thread?

Re: Is it too early to start the "official" gencon 2012 thread?

Ok. Give me some advice here. Indianapolis is about a 9 hour drive from Atlanta. That's not a big deal as Jen and I drove to Washington DC last year and that was a bit longer. We typically fly' date=' but the real question is: Is there any advantage to having your vehicle handy?[/quote']

As long as you have a hotel close enough to walk to the convention center, everything else is walkable as well.

As long as you have a hotel close enough to walk to the convention center' date=' everything else is walkable as well.[/quote']

Thanks. The plan is to buy tickets and book hotels as soon as 2013 tickets are available, so, we might as well fly. This far out the tickets will be pretty cheap.

I'm not familiar with that one. Where's it at?

I'll try and find it on a map. I hit up Indy for weekend fun all the time, practically a regular at the Slippery Noodle, so I just sorta autopilot my way in there, it's about a block behind the fieldhouse off of Maryland. Last time I used it it was about 5 bucks a day. I usually stay over at The Station or the Omni Severin so it's a hop skip and a jump away. I tend to find the cop shop then park across the street, heh.... Half is reserved for the cops the other half is open to the public and dirt cheap.

~Rex

I'll try and find it on a map. I hit up Indy for weekend fun all the time, practically a regular at the Slippery Noodle, so I just sorta autopilot my way in there, it's about a block behind the fieldhouse off of Maryland. Last time I used it it was about 5 bucks a day. I usually stay over at The Station or the Omni Severin so it's a hop skip and a jump away. I tend to find the cop shop then park across the street, heh.... Half is reserved for the cops the other half is open to the public and dirt cheap.

~Rex

I'll be picking your brain for hotels next year.

Ok. Give me some advice here. Indianapolis is about a 9 hour drive from Atlanta. That's not a big deal as Jen and I drove to Washington DC last year and that was a bit longer. We typically fly, but the real question is: Is there any advantage to having your vehicle handy?

We're planning for 2013 (because work won't permit this year). That means we can find killer deals on flights, but I don't hate road trips. Thoughts?

Depends on what you do when you go to cons.

I end up buying a lot of stuff at the auction/dealer room so having my car to bring those purchases home (rather than having to ship them because limited carry-on/luggage space going by air) is a big advantage.

Just think, one really cool boardgame might be too much to bring home and you'll end up shipping it.

Also, if there are two of you going, driving would be around a quarter the cost than flying.

TB

I'll be picking your brain for hotels next year.

I cheat when it comes to hotels. Friend of mine works for Marriott so, Friends and Family Rate. I COULD, just go back to slinging Demo Games for a few companies and let them pay for the room as well but I got so burned out on that the last two years I was with White Wolf and Mongoose that I swore the next time I went to Gencon it would be Just For Fun (That's not counting my disgust with the Gencon LLC folks but that's another thread). Could get comp from the Con to but they've made it such a pain in the backside it's just not worth it.

Out of the Hotels in the Area around the convention center I like the Omni and the Station a lot. Comfy, not horrendously over priced. Easy to find pick up games there and you can Hamster tube it right over to the convention center so all's good. The new JW Marriott is supposed to be the bomb but I haven't stayed there yet... Maybe next time I head down for a night of Blues at the Noodle.

Planning on dropping in this Con maybe on the weekend, get some open gaming in even though the Idgits that run the thing nowadays have made it as unfriendly as possible for the drive by gamer. If worse comes to worse I'll do what I did last year and set up camp in Claddagh, drink Guinness and run some HERO or Cyberpunk for the duration of my stay then head out. Remains to be seen yet or not....

I've stayed at Every Hotel in the Downtown area. Best bang for your buck remains out on the beltway and then driving in to park at the Cop Shop.

~Rex

I cheat when it comes to hotels. Friend of mine works for Marriott so, Friends and Family Rate. I COULD, just go back to slinging Demo Games for a few companies and let them pay for the room as well but I got so burned out on that the last two years I was with White Wolf and Mongoose that I swore the next time I went to Gencon it would be Just For Fun (That's not counting my disgust with the Gencon LLC folks but that's another thread). Could get comp from the Con to but they've made it such a pain in the backside it's just not worth it.

Out of the Hotels in the Area around the convention center I like the Omni and the Station a lot. Comfy, not horrendously over priced. Easy to find pick up games there and you can Hamster tube it right over to the convention center so all's good. The new JW Marriott is supposed to be the bomb but I haven't stayed there yet... Maybe next time I head down for a night of Blues at the Noodle.

Planning on dropping in this Con maybe on the weekend, get some open gaming in even though the Idgits that run the thing nowadays have made it as unfriendly as possible for the drive by gamer. If worse comes to worse I'll do what I did last year and set up camp in Claddagh, drink Guinness and run some HERO or Cyberpunk for the duration of my stay then head out. Remains to be seen yet or not....

I've stayed at Every Hotel in the Downtown area. Best bang for your buck remains out on the beltway and then driving in to park at the Cop Shop.

~Rex

Thanks for the advice. The Girlfriend has a close cousin that works for Marriott, so that's a bonus.

Depends on what you do when you go to cons.

I end up buying a lot of stuff at the auction/dealer room so having my car to bring those purchases home (rather than having to ship them because limited carry-on/luggage space going by air) is a big advantage.

Just think, one really cool boardgame might be too much to bring home and you'll end up shipping it.

Also, if there are two of you going, driving would be around a quarter the cost than flying.

TB

Thanks Billy. While that should have occurred to me, it did not. Clearly we'll be shopping and shipping things home will be a pain in comparison to packing up the car. Assuming gasoline is hanging somewhere around $4.00 in 2013, that would save us around $500. Repped.

I actually don't shop that much at Gencon except for "Things I can't get at home." I have to support my LGS or it will vanish. Gale Force Nine usually releases all of their maps in limited quantity at Gencon, so I always buy those. It's a shipper, but who cares? I own stock in UPS. (no, really, I do.)

I've been informed that the event list is finally up. Event registration in less than 2 weeks, so unless you just do generic tickets start looking and make sure you get into the games you want.

Always a good Idea considering how "Generic Unfriendly" Gencon has gotten since the GenCon LLC takeover.... When Demoing for Mongoose and White Wolf I always made sure to stage the Events at a lower number just so I would have room for the folks with Generic Tickets. Wish more folks would do the same. *shrug*

Either way, looks like I'll be down there for at least the weekend to hang out at the Slippery Noodle and Claddagh if nothing else and catch up on things with some of the Industry types that have been badgering me to sling stuff for them so if folks wanna get a beer shoot me a message, heh....

~Rex

I'm not staying adjacent to the con this year, which will make it tricky for me to host this year's get-together. So either everyone could taxi over to my place, or someone else can host this year's party.

I'm adjacent to the con this year. It's also likely that I'm staying alone, which means limited luggage space. If people want me to, I'll prepare now.

Starting to look at events. This one caught my attention. Oh how very, very wrong it could go...

[TABLE=class: form_for_item]

[TR]

[TD=class: name]Game ID:

[/TD]

[TD=class: value]RPG1230493

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: name]Gaming Group

/ Company:

[/TD]

[TD=class: value][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: name]Title:

[/TD]

[TD=class: value]The Watchmen meet Foxbat

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: name]Description:

[/TD]

[TD=class: value]We all know that Foxbat believes he lives in a comic book world, but what if that world was the watchmen series?

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Worse, what if Foxbat thought he were Doctor Manhattan. I don't want that visual........

~Rex

*shudder*

Don't spoil their Performance Art while IN Cosplay mode now.....

~Rex

The event listing sorta sneaked up on me....I am looking at events today...I know my son wants to do true dungeon again this year. so I have to work that in. I do hope I get a chance to see everyone from the board at gencon...except that Mattingly fellow, I see him all the time....

Just kidding Dave...

someone told me that hooligan will not be at gencon this year can any one confirm that??

Here's our slate of Evil Fleet Productions events:

RPG1231289 Auditioners: Dead Man's Stomp (Thursday 8 am - noon)

The silliest heroes ever to put on a pair of tights face a threat of a most cosmic and chilling nature. Roleplaying and a sense of humor needed for a game that combines MST3K, Cthulhu, and good old fashioned superheroics.

Hero 5th edition GM: Joe Linehan Maximum players: 8

RPG1231292 Paranoia Trek XI: Reboot to the Head! (Thursday noon - 4 pm)

Greetings, cadets! Congratulations on your acceptance into the Academy. Please be aware that any claims that you have already been FED sector troubleshooters for the previous ten yearcycles are treasonous rumors spread by mutant Rommie traitors. Now run along, or you'll be late for your first class and/or temporal distortion altering decades of established continuity. That is all. The Computer is your friend.

Paranoia 2nd edition GM: David Wulatin Maximum players: 8

RPG1231286 They're Loose! (Thursday 6pm - midnight)

He was a big city kid in a small town. All he wanted to do was dance. He knew they'd try to stop him, but what harm could there be in dancing? Step back to 1985 for the lighter side of horror. Roleplaying is stressed in a game with both chills and laughs.

Call of Cthulhu 5th edition GM: Joe Linehan Maximum players: 8

RPG1231290 JSA: Per Degaton's Gambit (Friday 10 am - 4pm)

OK, I admit it. This is really just an excuse to use every single Justice Society villain I have. It's a battle for time itself all gloriously rendered in twist tie as the Justice Society has to face off against 3 separate enemies at once.

Hero System 5th edition GM: Joe Linehan Maximum players: 18

RPG1231292 Paranoia Trek XI: Reboot to the Head! (Friday 10 am - 2 pm)

See Thursday noon listing.

RPG1231534 The Starspike (Friday 2 pm - 6 pm)

The chronicler, a godlike force of law and order, taps a number of powerful souls to replace him in his duties. They must show both teamwork and self-reliance in what at first seems a trivial trial of worth, which quickly escalates into a cataclysmic apocalypse. The one to survive and prove himself the best with his skill, or the most apt with her ability, will replace the demigod, assume his power, and lord over the land, perhaps until the end of time.

Gods of the Grey, 1st edition GM: Brad Torres Maximum players: 6

RPG1231209 A Blast Aura (Friday 6 pm - midnight)

Transmission Fleet Base: Communications from base 3 cut off. Alpha team: proceed to base 3 and investigate. Re-establish communication. Use of force with extreme prejudice is authorized. End of line.

Call of Cthulhu 5th edition GM: Dave Cabrera Maximum players: 6

RPG1231288 All-Thrills 1955 (Friday 7 pm. - 1 am.)

Last year the team risked life and limb sneaking incriminating documents on the Guatemalan coup to reporters in the states. Now those reporters are turning up dead. Can our heroes solve this mystery before they're next? Public domain golden age heroes in the gritty world of the 1950s. Continuity that makes your actions count, but doesn't get in the way of an exciting game for newcomers.

Hero System 5th edition GM: Joe Linehan Maximum players: 8

RPG1231287 All-Star Squadron #1 (Saturday 8am - noon)

A group of unpowered superheroes has to go where the JSA can't and launch a daring raid deep in the heart of the Axis. DC's golden age heroes both obscure and popular get to shine in this one.

Hero System 5th edition GM: Joe Linehan Maximum players: 8

RPG1230878 Can of Whupass 2012: Tebow 3:16, Mayans 0 (Saturday 7pm - 1 am)

Our signature event enters its 14th year! Pop culture and gaming icons duke it out in the ring. It's the only slugfest where good roleplaying increases your chance to win. The only event with cool prizes for all players! The only event with expert commentary from Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and Dr. Phil! The only event that's almost as much fun to watch as it is to play! Find out why so many have called this "the best event at Gen Con!"

Hero System 5th edition GM: David Wulatin Maximum players: 25