Source for Comstar Traveller Hero books?

CorPse

Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you're going to regret not buying something, but you don't have any other options.

The seemingly brief period when Comstar had the license to do the Traveller Hero titles coincided with when my wife was in grad school. School + crappy economy killed our discretionary income.

Fast forward to now where I really have a hobby budget again... a lot of which has gone to Hero... but of course now there isn't a legit place to get the two Trav Hero books. (Not even at any of the usual online book buying places.)

So, if any knows where I can pick these up, please let me know.

Thanks!

--Charles

Re: Source for Comstar Traveller Hero books?

I have the Comstar books, but since they're copyright and were commercial releases, I won't share them.

I also have the old Traveller HERO 0.9 pdf, which was the solid core of what became the Comstar version. Shadowcat originally released that for free on the now-defunct Star Hero Fandom website.

If Shadowcat and Tancred don't mind, I'm happy to give it a web-home. It carries the FFE disclaimer and is non-commercial, so shouldn't infringe Mongoose's licence. Eodin hasn't been on the boards for a year, but I could try emailing him for his consent also.

Hmmm... looks like I've got the 0.9 pdf. It's good to know that it's somewhat similar to the later released version.

Haven't heard a thing back from FFE, and I kind of wonder if I will. You'd think I could buy the pdf somewhere... it's a little sad that something in pdf format could end up out of print.

I don't have any copies of the books other than my comp copy, so can't help you there.

If there's no licensing problems I'd be all in favor of the old pdf being posted/hosted somewhere.

It's just a shame that the license got rescinded; I think a lot of people would still buy the books if they could.

That's two out of three authors in favour.

FFE's fan/non-commercial licence currently allows pretty much anything that isn't a direct copy of FFE material to go up, with the disclaimers, subject to a 90-day rescinding order from FFE.

As an aside, I see Mongoose's MGT-compatible version of 2300AD is now available from RPGnow and DriveThruRPG. Now there's a tasty treat. 2300AD has been in the wilderness for far too long.

Yeah, I'm thinking that despite FFE's very generous fan licences, this is something a little more.

I was thinking of emailing Marc in advance, but despite the fact I've played his games for 30 years, I don't know him from Adam. And he doesn't know me.

If you can ask him, great. If you don't see him, I'll email him.

ok folks, I have managed to scare up a few more books, they are 50.00 a set plus shipping, before I ate the cost of shipping, I really cant do that this time, shipping will be via USPS Priority Mail with return receipt, so total cost should be about 56.50

per set, this also assumes shipping inside the US

ok folks, I have managed to scare up a few more books, they are 50.00 a set plus shipping, before I ate the cost of shipping, I really cant do that this time, shipping will be via USPS Priority Mail with return receipt, so total cost should be about 56.50

per set, this also assumes shipping inside the US

Thanks for digging these up and for your message... I just responded from my main email account. Stay in touch, and please let me know when they are ready to go.

--Charles

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry for all the confusion on this matter... I will have more books available... via paypal, I can ship International if need be, the price will be 50.00 plus shipping per set, shipping will be USPS Priority Mail with a tracking number provided. so for a single set inside the US around 56.00

ok folks, I have finally gotten access to the TH books, and can take orders, so I need a count once again on who still wants a set, will be 50.00 a set plus shipping, shipping will be Priority Mail with a tracking#, originally I ate the cost of shipping, but I cant do that anymore. the price for the books itself is the same as original retail price. I dont have the books in hand yet, so I wont take money, but I should have then within a couple of weeks, and will ship within a day or two of paypal being verified

I'm going to want another set; one of our group's co-GMs is a huge Traveller fun and these would make a great Christmas gift.

Let me know when you need me to paypal you.

Edit: Make that 2 sets; my other co-GM wants a set too.

Any chance you can sign them before you ship them? :)