Superpunk

MisterVimes

When I was digging through my library the other day I found a notebook with a terrible picture I scteched as the cover. The title was "SuperPunk." As I am wont to do, I got distracted from my task at hand and reviewed what I had written for -- wait for it --3rd Edition Hero. Back in the beautiful by-gone days before Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Dungeonpunk and all the Punkpunk, there was cyberpunk. Somewhere in there Robert Charette penned Shadowrun, which fused the genres of cyberpunk and fantasy.

So, what about Superpunk? I took Cyber Hero and Dark Champions and took away the costumes and made "metahumans" just another avenue to getting the edge on the mean streets of the not-to-distant future. I regurgitated ideas that Howard Chaykin's "American Flagg" had left in my brain and created my poster child: a mohawked young man with a spit-curl that was rocketed to earth as an infant and raised in secret by a pair of wage slaves in in the lower end of the industrial metroplex. Kal rose to power with his superhuman abilities and lived by the motto "Who's truth? What's Justice, and Where is America?"

Thoughts?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: Superpunk

Hmmm way I would set it up is this something like the ultimate universe or the boys sometime in the past a corparation develops a way to create super powers now a series of rival corpartions with various super serums suits and systems at street level it's in the hands of criminals revolutionarys and mercenaries the explosion of superpowers has left goverment a mess society is collapsing and bam welcome to super punk

I'm assuming this a reference to Iron Man in "Civil War" and the solutions included:

1) Building a metahuman army

2) Building a metahuman prison

3) Having metahumans register with the government.

And lets not forget, "Giving the CEO powers or power-simulating weaponry that make him as or nearly as powerful as the very most powerful metas out there."

To some extent this is the essence of Mike Surbrook's Kazei Five campaign sourcebook. Taking its cue from Japanese manga/anime, the world of K5 is in many ways a classic cyberpunk world, but it features people with true superhuman powers, including formidable psionic abilities and cybernetic or genetic augmentation.

To some extent this is the essence of Mike Surbrook's Kazei Five campaign sourcebook. Taking its cue from Japanese manga/anime' date=' the world of K5 is in many ways a classic cyberpunk world, but it features people with true superhuman powers, including formidable psionic abilities and cybernetic or genetic augmentation.[/quote']

I have been promising Mike that I would buy it. It seems that great minds think alike.