Hunger Games and Survivor

quozaxx

With the popularity of the Hunger Games, and reality show competitions like Survivor, Amazing Race, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a game based on a competition.

Did it work for you?

Are you supposed to kill each other?

and other info would be nice.

If not, would you play in a game where you are supposed to kill each other? (Like the Hunger Games)

Re: Hunger Games and Survivor

Over the weekend I got horribly addicted to The Colony, and all my brain wants to do (stupid brain!) is try to figure out how to make it gameable.

The games don't just have to revolve around the killin'...

Never got into the Colony, to be fair, I didnt know about it until like the 6th episode or so. ANd the one I watched just didnt do anything for me. Been meaning to give it another try if I caught it again. What channel was it again?

Never got into the Colony' date=' to be fair, I didnt know about it until like the 6th episode or so. ANd the one I watched just didnt do anything for me. Been meaning to give it another try if I caught it again. What channel was it again?[/quote']

Netflix has the whole series on streaming. Otherwise, we're seeing it on like Planet Green or the Science Network or one of those Discovery dependents.

It almost feels to me as if I'm watching the fiction generated by a post-apoc RPG. While it's a reality show, it has a fictionalized context (a super-virus has killed almost everyone on Earth). The "colonists" are placed into an apocalyptic landscape (season 1 an abandoned warehouse in Los Angeles; season 2 a suburban area near New Orleans that was hit by Hurricane Katrina pretty hard and abandoned), and every so often they have NPCs to interact with played by professional actors. There's even combat to an extent, though nonlethal; a few folks have received cuts and bruises. But it's pretty hard core survival, and the participants are limited to what they were provided with and what they can scrounge.

Netflix has the whole series on streaming. Otherwise, we're seeing it on like Planet Green or the Science Network or one of those Discovery dependents.

It almost feels to me as if I'm watching the fiction generated by a post-apoc RPG. While it's a reality show, it has a fictionalized context (a super-virus has killed almost everyone on Earth). The "colonists" are placed into an apocalyptic landscape (season 1 an abandoned warehouse in Los Angeles; season 2 a suburban area near New Orleans that was hit by Hurricane Katrina pretty hard and abandoned), and every so often they have NPCs to interact with played by professional actors. There's even combat to an extent, though nonlethal; a few folks have received cuts and bruises. But it's pretty hard core survival, and the participants are limited to what they were provided with and what they can scrounge.

Rumors have it that the reason season 3 suddenly didn't air back in '09 (and the show hasn't been back despite rather noisy demand) is that the non-lethal combat turned out to be not so non-lethal.

It's one of the only reality shows I'll watch, and it's really an amusing show.

Only other show that scratches a similar itch I can think of was Scrapheap Challenge/ Junkyard Wars, but that didn't have the awesome fictional framing device or psychological trickery.

I personally think they should mostly back off from HtH and start using guns equipped with MILES gear. Heck, with a Hollywood budget it'd be easy to hook squibs to specific sensors for visually apparent "Kill" shots