45 END 5

15 BODY 5

45 STUN 13 Total Characteristic Cost: 174

Movement: Running: 12m/24m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Teleportation: 43m/86m

Cost Powers END

Mutant Teleportation powers, all slots Unified Power (-¼)

36 1) Teleport redirection field: Resistant Protection (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points) 0

10 2) Teleportation redirection field: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) +6 PD (Real Cost: 6) plus +6 ED (Real Cost: 6) 0

12 3) Teleport redirection field: Power Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points) 0

4 4) Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (1 Locations) (5 Active Points) 0

12 5) Portal viewing: Penetrative with Sight Group (15 Active Points) 0

48 Teleportation: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-¼)

5f 1) Combat 1 : Teleportation 43m, Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (60 Active Points) 2

Notes: 38mph combat

5f 2) Combat 2 saving yourself: Teleportation 23m, No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, Safe Aquatic Teleport, x2 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (60 Active Points) 2

5f 3) Escape : Teleportation 30m, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Armor Piercing (x2; +½) (60 Active Points) 6

5f 4) Long range porting: Teleportation 7m, No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+¼), MegaScale (1m = 100 km; +1 ½) (60 Active Points) 6

Notes: 350,000 mph in 700 km jumps

2f 5) Slow explosion(2 objects in the same place at the same time): Hearing Group Flash 10d6, Does Knockback (+¼), Area Of Effect (16m Radius Explosion; +¼), Double Knockback (+½) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), Extra Time (Full Phase, -½), Limited Range (active pts x2 =range in meters; -¼) 6

4f 6) Teleporting move bys Strike 10d6: Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +½), Selective (+¼) for up to 50 Active Points of attacks, Limited Range (+¼), Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (55 Active Points) 2

4f 7) Teleporting movebys Disarm 50 str: Naked Advantage: Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +½), Selective (+¼) for up to 50 Active Points, Limited Range (+¼), Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (55 Active Points) 2

4f 8) Teleporting movebys Leg sweep 10d6 target falls: Naked Advantage: Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +½), Selective (+¼) for up to 50 Active Points, Limited Range (+¼), Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (55 Active Points) 2

Equipment

2 1) Double Wakizashai: HKA 1 point (2d6 w/STR) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1) 1

Notes: 4d6 hka w/ fast strike

4 Fast Strike +2 +0 11d6 Strike

3 Legsweep +2 -1 10d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 Sacrifice Strike +1 -2 13d6 Strike

4 Sacrifice Disarm +2 -2 Disarm, 55 STR to Disarm

16 +4 HTH Damage Class(es)

1 Weapon Element: Blades

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

3 Absolute Range Sense

6 +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Concealment 13-

2 Navigation (Land) 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 Security Systems 13-

0 Everyman skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Climbing 8-

0 3) Conversation 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 5) AK: USA 8-

0 6) Language: English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

0 7) Persuasion 8-

0 8) PS: Courier (Custom Adder) 11-

0 9) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 227

Total Cost: 400

400+ Matching Complications

5 Distinctive Features: Mutant (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Technology Or Major Effort)

10 Distinctive Features: Looker (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Enraged: Innocents harmed (Common), go 11-, recover 14-

15 Hunted: Mutant Haters Infrequently (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Complication: Protective of innocents (Common; Strong)

15 Psychological Complication: Code vs killing (Common; Strong)

Total Complications Points: 400

Background/History: the simple version might be that her parents got killed standing up to a gang or triad, and they are the moral fiber in her life

it may also be where powers first appeared

as the bullets struck her parents, her power kicked in an protected her from them(figure 9mm and 12 ga 3d6ka reduced penatration)

Her only thought was to get away to her favorite place the roof of their home/business

While down below the gang/triad saw Blip disappear,they decided to firebomb the place and leave

the killers are not caught for 5yrs,by then Blip has been moved to live with an uncle,a Master Sargent in the U.S.Army

Life goes well for Blip,she masters her powers,learns to defend herself and enjoy most of her teenage years

Then just before she turns 20, her parents killers are caught and Blip is asked to ID them

Before she and her uncle can leave to return to her home town ,others in the gang/triad ambush Blip and her uncle killing him

Blip looses it and cripples the new killers

Later she goes and Id's her parents killers and they are convicted getting LWoP

Word later gets to Blip that she and the gang/triad are at war

Blip just says "Bring it on Scum"

Personality/Motivation: generally happy ,till innocents get hurt ,then watch out

Quote: Bring it on scum

Powers/Tactics: Martial Artist

agent stomper

terrain changer

Long range trannsport

Campaign Use: Scout

Commando

Appearance: early 20's

Amer-Asian ancestory

34c-23-35

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42428[/ATTACH]

Re: Blip final version

Not sure what exactly the "Slow Explosion" is doing, SFX-wise. If she's teleporting two different objects (presumably, either things she carries with her or objects of opportunity) into the same space simultaneously to cause the explosion, then I'd think it would have a Focus limitation on it.

Does said power do anything to the objects that are trying to occupy the same space at the same time?

as damage hits her it is redirected away(the energy applied)

think defection, but there is a threshold that can be exceeded ,but is not an all or nothing thing

From a SFX standpoint has does the teleportation redirect field work?

Not sure what exactly the "Slow Explosion" is doing, SFX-wise. If she's teleporting two different objects (presumably, either things she carries with her or objects of opportunity) into the same space simultaneously to cause the explosion, then I'd think it would have a Focus limitation on it.

Does said power do anything to the objects that are trying to occupy the same space at the same time?

I think the slow explosion may be a spatial distortion wave

I think the limitation damage over time

It is not that slow

It just does not have the instant shock effect of a normal explosion

I think the slow explosion may be a spatial distortion wave

I think the limitation damage over time

the slow explosion is like a tsunami(more a grab and throw with a very loud bass flash, than a high speed KABOOM off to the moon with you Alice)

Since she could use anything(even pieces of her costume)as object of opportunity I think the focus limitation would not apply

as for teleporting into objects at the target location I would say no but the 10d6 x2KB might break something if it lifts and throws it against something hard

since all her teleports are blind safe, it takes special effort by have 2 objects materialize in the same place at the same time to get the slow explosion

Pretty minor comments overall, but these are the Q's I would ask as a GM

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

Why is the character so strong? It doesn't seem to blend with the character's mutant powers. [25 CON has a similar issue, but I think most of us look the other way for CON since we don't want characters stunned after most hits).

1 OMCV -6

1 DMCV -6

Different groups have different ground rules. To me, this signifies a character significantly deficient compared to Joe on the Street in respect of mental combat, so again, I'd want to know why.

12 3) Teleport redirection field: Power Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points) 0

Some GM's frown on Unified Power combined with Power Defense, given the only mechanical restriction imposed by unified power is enhanced impact from negative adjustment powers. Assuming a 12 DC game, this still lets a bit of impact through with a 6d6 Drain, but it definitely blunts the Unified Power limitation.

3 1) Double Wakizashai: HKA 1 point (2d6 w/STR)' date=' Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (6 Active Points); OAF (-1) 1[/quote]

This kind of highlights the STR issue.

With up to 14 DC's (w/Wakizashi; 13 DC's with STR), my 12 DC estimate may be a bit off, but seems in the ballpark. If 14 DC's is typical, your 23 defenses + 25 CON may not be enough to avoid frequently being Stunned. The use of the KA seems to be blunted a lot by the CvsK, which would mean exercising restraint, especially against normals/thugs/agents.

More nitpicks than serious concerns, in all. I like the overall character.

Rest assured, she will be attacking her teammates at some point - mental powers are a clear achilles heel, and flash would be pretty effective as well.

Thanks Hugh for your comments

I'll try to answer them

1 Str for me, mutants tend to be stronger over all lots of this is depicted in the comics(I tend to like character with a bit more str than normal)

2 as above in being more hardy and the reasons you gave

3 any decent mentalist is going to be a 7mocv at least, which a 15- to hit a 3mcdv which is a 93% chance of hitting

lowering it to a 17- roll(99%) is only a 6% change in odds and the 12 pts are better used elsewhere

besides learning how to defend and resist are viable options w/ exp

4 I bought Power Def as those powers most of the time can be like other powers when hitting her as they can be deflected/blocked like Blast/STR/HA/MA/HKA/RKA

Mental power cannot be deflected or blocked normally

5 12 DC was what I was modeling for

HD came up with 12 DCs for the knives Str+MA= 3 1/2d6 plus 1 DC more for the knives themselves for 4d6 HKA(pushing would get to 14DCs)

The picture had the knives,so I felt the need to add that to the character(I really like that picture)

And yes the CvsK pretty much limits them to be used to destroy robot,weapons, and other non-living objects

6 every character should have some holes for the GM to exploit in the beginning, how else can a character grow

It also slows power creep

I hope these answers help you understand the character more

as a little trivia I kit bashed her name from Karrin Murphy from the Dresden files books and Honor Harrington from her series

Pretty minor comments overall, but these are the Q's I would ask as a GM

Why is the character so strong? It doesn't seem to blend with the character's mutant powers. [25 CON has a similar issue, but I think most of us look the other way for CON since we don't want characters stunned after most hits).

Different groups have different ground rules. To me, this signifies a character significantly deficient compared to Joe on the Street in respect of mental combat, so again, I'd want to know why.

Some GM's frown on Unified Power combined with Power Defense, given the only mechanical restriction imposed by unified power is enhanced impact from negative adjustment powers. Assuming a 12 DC game, this still lets a bit of impact through with a 6d6 Drain, but it definitely blunts the Unified Power limitation.

This kind of highlights the STR issue.

With up to 14 DC's (w/Wakizashi; 13 DC's with STR), my 12 DC estimate may be a bit off, but seems in the ballpark. If 14 DC's is typical, your 23 defenses + 25 CON may not be enough to avoid frequently being Stunned. The use of the KA seems to be blunted a lot by the CvsK, which would mean exercising restraint, especially against normals/thugs/agents.

More nitpicks than serious concerns, in all. I like the overall character.

Rest assured, she will be attacking her teammates at some point - mental powers are a clear achilles heel, and flash would be pretty effective as well.

1 Str for me' date=' mutants tend to be stronger over all lots of this is depicted in the comics(I tend to like character with a bit more str than normal)[/quote']

To me, that would be campaign-dependent. In our games, a 10 or 13 STR for a character whose powers don't suggest high STR would be pretty normal, but if a game establishes mutants tend to be superhumanly strong, even where their mutations aren't focused on strength, this could easily be a must. But then I come back to "how come those knives are so weak and puny?"

3 any decent mentalist is going to be a 7mocv at least, which a 15- to hit a 3mcdv which is a 93% chance of hitting

lowering it to a 17- roll(99%) is only a 6% change in odds and the 12 pts are better used elsewhere

I understand the mechanical reason fully. My question surrounds the SFX reason. Joe Average on the street has 3/3 and this character has 1/1, so what results in Blip being so deficient in this regard? Ultimately, as a GM, I'd look to the 12 points saved as something that should create a bit more trouble for the character than a 10 point complication and a bit less than 15, so issues where these deficiencies are highlighted would need to feature into the game somehow. But again, this is game group specific - if the group accepts a standard that all non-mentalists sell back to 1, fine. Makes life easier on the mentalists, who can save 6 points on their own OMCV since it can be lower and still reliably hit the Supers (or make it really easy to Multiple Attack a mental blast or Cumulative mental power to get that KO or Mind Control or Illusion established in a single phase, I suppose).

4 I bought Power Def as those powers most of the time can be like other powers when hitting her as they can be deflected/blocked like Blast/STR/HA/MA/HKA/RKA

Mental power cannot be deflected or blocked normally

To some extent, I come back to SFX, but a lot of SFX back up power defense, so that wouldn't concern me much. I'd be more concerned with the extent to which this 12 point investment mitigates the implications of Unified Power. That said, a 6d6 Drain still passes 6 points through on an average roll. Assuming it drains one of your Unified powers, that means the next one passes 12 through, and that's the end of the power defense for the duration. Again, more a group norm issue.

5 12 DC was what I was modeling for

HD came up with 12 DCs for the knives Str+MA= 3 1/2d6 plus 1 DC more for the knives themselves for 4d6 HKA(pushing would get to 14DCs)

The picture had the knives,so I felt the need to add that to the character(I really like that picture)

And yes the CvsK pretty much limits them to be used to destroy robot,weapons, and other non-living objects

I just added 1 DC (the knives) to the 13 DC available from Sacrifice Strike to get 14 DC - 4 1/2d6.

6 every character should have some holes for the GM to exploit in the beginning, how else can a character grow

It also slows power creep

Another groupthink issue, but I never like a character defended against everything. My general bias is very well defended against PD/ED means very limited access to exotic defenses. Average to a bit above probably means one exotic defense, maybe two (I think that's where this character sits, with that 12 DC base assumption, so the Power Defense would be fine outside the Unified Power issue), and below average might justify two or even all three exotic defenses. I lump unusual targeting senses in with Flash Defense as an exotic defense, but that's not an issue for this writeup.

I'd be pretty skeptical of any purchase of mental defense when we've established the character's mental combat abilities are already grossly deficient compared to Joe Average, but that comes back to the SFX of the sellback, and the groupthink on such sellbacks.

Just noticed - I'm not sure how the naked advantage links up with martial arts. I'd expect you to be restricted to 10 DC's since the advantage only goes up to 50 AP, but it doesn't seem equitable that you could get 10 DC's at +2 OCV and knock the target prone with Legsweep for 50 AP either. More an issue that I haven't read the rules for using naked advantages on MA than any issue with the build, though.

Comments please

Cost Powers END

Mutant Teleportation powers, all slots Unified Power (-¼)

36 1) Teleport redirection field: Resistant Protection (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points) 0

10 2) Teleportation redirection field: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) +6 PD (Real Cost: 6) plus +6 ED (Real Cost: 6) 0

Having a teleporting player I am uncomfortable with the use of teleport as the SFX of PD and ED (and power defence).

The SFX being someone punches this person and the force from the blow is teleported away? To do that it would act more like a damage shield in my mind.

Ranged attacks with reflection and deflection I have no problem with.

Increased DCV from teleport no problem.

Increased PD and ED from teleport would not be allowed in my game. Possibly PD / ED from 1 or 2 combat luck or equipment yes but not from teleport.

It is like you are trying to fit powers to your SFX and want a certain level PD /ED and this is how you have chosen it to be.

But other GM's will have different ideas for allowed teleporting powers.

1a Since Steve went back to the Champions 1st ed model for HKAs for 6th ed buying the same weapon damage would have her at 16DC(fast strike or the knife slash would be the maneuver used most of the time)

I just have her being really good at it

As a note Nightcrawler of the X-men is also a teleporter who is inhumanly agile and has a tail(the tail might be because his father, might be a demon from Hell depending on source material)

Blip has only high end human agility and slight super human Str

3a Getting hit and resisting are 2 different things

By your reasoning an easily hit target should not have a high defenses as in a DCV 5 tank style character with 35pd/ed 20 pts resistant

4a draining any def has that def resists at double

so draining the power def 15, that 6 pts only drains 3 pts lowering to 12

5a Ok we were looking at 2 different MA maneuvers(going to drop the KA maneuver and just go with weapon element and fast strike and save 5 pts)

Fast strike will be the maneuver used 90% of the time

6a yep limited to 10DCs

you still have the old mind set of area attack having a base advantage of +1 not +1/4(yeah had to get over it myself)

it is also nonselective so I have to roll to hit each target at their current DCV

Steve ruled that teleport cannot be used in a multiple move-by

this is how I get around it(the SFX just makes it look like that)

I still have to hit the targets DCV(not 1 roll to hit DCV 0 ajacent hex)

I just do not have to stop if I miss 1 attack and I do not have a -2 per target( paid for with the area hexes any advantage)

For me this is a great simulation of when Nightcrawler takes on the secret service in the oval office and they go into bullet time to show the action in X-men 2

To me, that would be campaign-dependent. In our games, a 10 or 13 STR for a character whose powers don't suggest high STR would be pretty normal, but if a game establishes mutants tend to be superhumanly strong, even where their mutations aren't focused on strength, this could easily be a must. But then I come back to "how come those knives are so weak and puny?"

I understand the mechanical reason fully. My question surrounds the SFX reason. Joe Average on the street has 3/3 and this character has 1/1, so what results in Blip being so deficient in this regard? Ultimately, as a GM, I'd look to the 12 points saved as something that should create a bit more trouble for the character than a 10 point complication and a bit less than 15, so issues where these deficiencies are highlighted would need to feature into the game somehow. But again, this is game group specific - if the group accepts a standard that all non-mentalists sell back to 1, fine. Makes life easier on the mentalists, who can save 6 points on their own OMCV since it can be lower and still reliably hit the Supers (or make it really easy to Multiple Attack a mental blast or Cumulative mental power to get that KO or Mind Control or Illusion established in a single phase, I suppose).

To some extent, I come back to SFX, but a lot of SFX back up power defense, so that wouldn't concern me much. I'd be more concerned with the extent to which this 12 point investment mitigates the implications of Unified Power. That said, a 6d6 Drain still passes 6 points through on an average roll. Assuming it drains one of your Unified powers, that means the next one passes 12 through, and that's the end of the power defense for the duration. Again, more a group norm issue.

I just added 1 DC (the knives) to the 13 DC available from Sacrifice Strike to get 14 DC - 4 1/2d6.

Another groupthink issue, but I never like a character defended against everything. My general bias is very well defended against PD/ED means very limited access to exotic defenses. Average to a bit above probably means one exotic defense, maybe two (I think that's where this character sits, with that 12 DC base assumption, so the Power Defense would be fine outside the Unified Power issue), and below average might justify two or even all three exotic defenses. I lump unusual targeting senses in with Flash Defense as an exotic defense, but that's not an issue for this writeup.

I'd be pretty skeptical of any purchase of mental defense when we've established the character's mental combat abilities are already grossly deficient compared to Joe Average, but that comes back to the SFX of the sellback, and the groupthink on such sellbacks.

Just noticed - I'm not sure how the naked advantage links up with martial arts. I'd expect you to be restricted to 10 DC's since the advantage only goes up to 50 AP, but it doesn't seem equitable that you could get 10 DC's at +2 OCV and knock the target prone with Legsweep for 50 AP either. More an issue that I haven't read the rules for using naked advantages on MA than any issue with the build, though.

A punch and a bullet are both kinetic energy 1 using speed and a small area to punch through and do damage the other more energy over time to cause damage

the field just redirects the energy away time is not a factor

I'm guessing your thinking is that a teleport is just an instant effect

now what if the field was a flicker effect flicking on and off billions of times a second

and all it did was redirect energy over a certain threshold that could hurt her away

Having a teleporting player I am uncomfortable with the use of teleport as the SFX of PD and ED (and power defence).

The SFX being someone punches this person and the force from the blow is teleported away? To do that it would act more like a damage shield in my mind.

Ranged attacks with reflection and deflection I have no problem with.

Increased DCV from teleport no problem.

Increased PD and ED from teleport would not be allowed in my game. Possibly PD / ED from 1 or 2 combat luck or equipment yes but not from teleport.

It is like you are trying to fit powers to your SFX and want a certain level PD /ED and this is how you have chosen it to be.

But other GM's will have different ideas for allowed teleporting powers.

6 I like the mechanic to allow misses between hits with multiple move by

any decent mentalist is going to be a 7mocv at least, which a 15- to hit a 3mcdv which is a 93% chance of hitting

er...

there are 216 combinations when 3 6 sided dice are rolled

here are the possible combinations for rolling a a 15 through 18

18 : 6 6 6 (1iterations) total 1

17 : 5 6 6 (3 iterations) total 3

16 : 5 5 6 (3 iterations) 6 6 4 (3 iterations) total 6

15 : 5 5 5 (1 iterations) 6 6 3 (3 iterations) 4 5 6 (6 iterations) total 10

on a roll of 15- or less, 18, 17 and 16 are fails

which is 1+3+6 = 10 possible combinations for failure

so

10 combinations out of 216 possible die rolls on 3d6 fails

10 / 216 = 0.0462962963 of the time

succeeds

1 - (10 / 216) = 0.953703704 of the time

A punch and a bullet are both kinetic energy 1 using speed and a small area to punch through and do damage the other more energy over time to cause damage

the field just redirects the energy away time is not a factor

I'm guessing your thinking is that a teleport is just an instant effect

now what if the field was a flicker effect flicking on and off billions of times a second

and all it did was redirect energy over a certain threshold that could hurt her away

I am fine with the science behind the attack.

It is the SFX I am bothered about. You ignore the object that is hitting the target and only transfer the energy. To me this is not the effect of teleport. I think teleport should be used for other effects.

To me its the effect of a force field with the SFX of a teleport.

In my mind for the SFX it would also have to have damage shield effect as well as part of the object hitting it would also be teleported away.

So in my mind it would have to also have a damage shield effect included. A punch would hurt if you hit this sort of defence.

This may be used against ranged attacks but as I said this would be a damage shield effect on hand to hand attacks.

I have not seen a similar build before in a published form. If it is been done before I will have to look at the build.

It may just be me.

Has anyone else built a teleporter with this sort of defence?

I have found a power in the champions power book but this was 20PD 10ED only versus ranged attacks so not against melee attacks.

I was just going off the charts from "The Stuff Heroes are made of website

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/

look for Rules Stuff at the bottom of the page

6 I like the mechanic to allow misses between hits with multiple move by

er...

there are 216 combinations when 3 6 sided dice are rolled

here are the possible combinations for rolling a a 15 through 18

18 : 6 6 6 (1iterations) total 1

17 : 5 6 6 (3 iterations) total 3

16 : 5 5 6 (3 iterations) 6 6 4 (3 iterations) total 6

15 : 5 5 5 (1 iterations) 6 6 3 (3 iterations) 4 5 6 (6 iterations) total 10

on a roll of 15- or less, 18, 17 and 16 are fails

which is 1+3+6 = 10 possible combinations for failure

so

10 combinations out of 216 possible die rolls on 3d6 fails

10 / 216 = 0.0462962963 of the time

succeeds

1 - (10 / 216) = 0.953703704 of the time

1a Since Steve went back to the Champions 1st ed model for HKAs for 6th ed buying the same weapon damage would have her at 16DC(fast strike or the knife slash would be the maneuver used most of the time)

As I noted previously, the main cause of the issue is the high STR. Of course, reducing that would create a need for more DC's to pump up the normal damage. Limiting the KA to restrict STR adds, or limiting the DC's so some are only usable with unarmed combat, would address the issue, as would limiting the KA itself to cap its maximum damage. An STR minimum would also do the trick, come to think of it. It's a very minor issue, but if the 10 STR Mentalist picks up the blade, its damage stops making much sense.

As a note Nightcrawler of the X-men is also a teleporter who is inhumanly agile and has a tail(the tail might be because his father' date=' might be a demon from Hell depending on source material)[/quote']

Yup - his inhuman body and agility are simply part of his schtick. If the character's mutation incorporates higher STR, then I'd just say so and move on. As I said, whether it's essential depends on the campaign (if ALL mutants have enhanced STR, it's essential). If not, it's simply a matter of taste.

4a draining any def has that def resists at double

so draining the power def 15, that 6 pts only drains 3 pts lowering to 12

True - which further devalues the impact of that Unified Power limitation, which is why many groups won't allow both Unified Power and Power Defense. Again, a matter of group taste, especially when the character isn't immune to a campaign standard DC drain.

5a Ok we were looking at 2 different MA maneuvers(going to drop the KA maneuver and just go with weapon element and fast strike and save 5 pts)

Fast strike will be the maneuver used 90% of the time

Again, depends on campaign specifics. An extra DC or two above the norm, especially one that imposes a disadvantage on the character, is less than game breaking IMO. I was more trying to get a handle on the campaign norms. And extra DC's on a KA that won't be used against living targets is a lot more of a flavour power than a couple of extra DC's in a character's main attack.

6a yep limited to 10DCs

you still have the old mind set of area attack having a base advantage of +1 not +1/4(yeah had to get over it myself)

No, I was actually referring to the maximum 50 AP you can add the AoE to with the Naked Advantage. Being able to get either 10d6 with normal OCV and DCV, or 10d6 with+2 OCV, -1 DCV and Target Knocked Prone (or some other combination of extra martial abilities), strikes me as an unreasonable result. But again, I haven't read the Naked Advantage applied to MA rules, but the reasonableness of a 50 STR character choosing between 10d6, 10d6 at +3 OCV and +1 DCV, or 10d6 at +2 OCV, -1 DCV and Knockdown seems like the three are not equal attacks, and should not carry the same cost to have an advantage applied. That said, if your STR were AoE to begin with, it would be enhanced by all martial arts maneuvers.

That's a minor issue, though - I like the ability itself quite a bit.

It is the SFX I am bothered about. You ignore the object that is hitting the target and only transfer the energy. To me this is not the effect of teleport. I think teleport should be used for other effects.

Remember I mentioned the group's style? If I can suspend my disbelief enough to believe in Teleportation, having it add defenses seems like little more suspension. Whether it shunts some force away, or throws up a gate that negates some of the attack's energy, or moves the defender a bit so a blow that would have been solid is only glancing, it's all rubber science, and even more so when we're dealing with an ability that doesn't even exist in our reality.

To me its the effect of a force field with the SFX of a teleport.

How many fire and electrical force fields exist in published writeups? Flames do not stop a punch. Yet we accept these force fields. Why is the Teleport Defense so different? And the Build Mechanic is a 6e Force Field, 0 END anyway.

In my mind for the SFX it would also have to have damage shield effect as well as part of the object hitting it would also be teleported away. So in my mind it would have to also have a damage shield effect included. A punch would hurt if you hit this sort of defence.

Fire, lightning, ice - and a field of force, or hard scaly hide should break your hand when you strike it too hard, shouldn't it?

I have not seen a similar build before in a published form. If it is been done before I will have to look at the build.

I play Hero to avoid having to restrict my choices to published builds. But I've seen lots of characters with +X/+X rDEF with a wide array of very creative SFX that prefer their science extremely rubbery.

I have found a power in the champions power book but this was 20PD 10ED only versus ranged attacks so not against melee attacks.

That power would teleport a part of a knife or spear away, yet the Recoverable Charge could still be picked up and used normally, and some of a bullet, arrow or poisoned dart would potentially slip past while the rest is teleported away. It would shunt away 10 STUN and BOD worth of flames from a dragon's fiery breath, a lightning bolt or a freezing wind. Is that seriously less realistic than the build proposed? It would cause all the damage from a poor roll on a 2d6 Electrical KA Bolt to shunt away, while still leaving the target blind from the Linked 6d6 Sight Flash. I don't see the proposed build being an order of magnitude less realistic!

How many fire and electrical force fields exist in published writeups? Flames do not stop a punch. Yet we accept these force fields. Why is the Teleport Defense so different? And the Build Mechanic is a 6e Force Field, 0 END anyway.

True

Fire, lightning, ice - and a field of force, or hard scaly hide should break your hand when you strike it too hard, shouldn't it?

I play Hero to avoid having to restrict my choices to published builds. But I've seen lots of characters with +X/+X rDEF with a wide array of very creative SFX that prefer their science extremely rubbery.

That power would teleport a part of a knife or spear away, yet the Recoverable Charge could still be picked up and used normally, and some of a bullet, arrow or poisoned dart would potentially slip past while the rest is teleported away. It would shunt away 10 STUN and BOD worth of flames from a dragon's fiery breath, a lightning bolt or a freezing wind. Is that seriously less realistic than the build proposed? It would cause all the damage from a poor roll on a 2d6 Electrical KA Bolt to shunt away, while still leaving the target blind from the Linked 6d6 Sight Flash. I don't see the proposed build being an order of magnitude less realistic!

Fire some times has damage shield included that is why I suggested this for the teleport shield.

It is just that from the teleport SFX is that it teleports things away so stopping the damage. Ok for ranged attacks as you just teleport the energy along with what ever delivered it (bullet, energy bolt etc) and and that will include fists for HTH attacks which would inflict damage that could be simulated by a damage shield. So attackers with no resistant protection would get hurt. But I would link the damage shield and protection together to limit it to the game AP limit. It would not be as effective a power as force field or straight forward armour (in my mind).

But that is my thought for my games. Most teleport builds I have seen do not have this sort of power. If some builds had this in regular I would change my mind more easily :).

Fire some times has damage shield included that is why I suggested this for the teleport shield.

So why can't Teleport sometimes include damage shield? This one doesn't. but others could.

It is just that from the teleport SFX is that it teleports things away so stopping the damage. Ok for ranged attacks as you just teleport the energy along with what ever delivered it (bullet' date=' energy bolt etc)[/quote']

How do you teleport part of a bullet away any more logically than part of a fist, spear or knife?

that will include fists for HTH attacks which would inflict damage that could be simulated by a damage shield. So attackers with no resistant protection would get hurt.

Does resistant protection prevent you being Teleported now? I guess it should be an NND killing attack damage shield!

But I would link the damage shield and protection together to limit it to the game AP limit. It would not be as effective a power as force field or straight forward armour (in my mind).

Would you link a Fire HA and a Fire Shield together? They're still separate powers, even if they act together.

But that is my thought for my games. Most teleport builds I have seen do not have this sort of power. If some builds had this in regular I would change my mind more easily :).

Beast seems pretty regular, so that's one. As noted previously, I prefer to build the powers I envision, not copy the ones that are already published. And there is some published stuff I would probably deny.

Beast, maybe she can also Teleport EDM, so you should make that Damage Shield EDM, UAA so anyone without Teleport powers of their own gets shunted off to the Negative Zone on contact.

There are a multitude of different teleportation special effects that could be used as justification for all manner of HERO defensive Powers.

Teleportation the Power has the No Relative Velocity Adder. What's so bad about applying that same concept vs. bullets or punches? The explanation could be that the character IS actually teleporting to enable the effect but just isn't actually teleporting somewhere else (they just shunt the kinetic energy away).

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Neilson

how many can justify reflect ?

perhaps electricity with electrical magnetic fields

I understand that deflect reflect requires an action so perhaps extra speed

True - which further devalues the impact of that Unified Power limitation, which is why many groups won't allow both Unified Power and Power Defense. Again, a matter of group taste, especially when the character isn't immune to a campaign standard DC drain.

just don't count the power defense for the drains vrs the unified effect

Selective Area if Effect attacks can make agent battles pointless /!\

So why can't Teleport sometimes include damage shield? This one doesn't. but others could.

How do you teleport part of a bullet away any more logically than part of a fist, spear or knife?

Does resistant protection prevent you being Teleported now? I guess it should be an NND killing attack damage shield

Would you link a Fire HA and a Fire Shield together? They're still separate powers, even if they act togethe

Beast seems pretty regular, so that's one. As noted previously, I prefer to build the powers I envision, not copy the ones that are already published. And there is some published stuff I would probably deny.

Beast, maybe she can also Teleport EDM, so you should make that Damage Shield EDM, UAA so anyone without Teleport powers of their own gets shunted off to the Negative Zone on contact.

Sorry I am now totally confused now. You agreeing with what I said but telling me I am wrong???

My theory of a teleport shield is you teleport the damaging aspect away. Bullet hitting teleport shield BANG its force and mass gets teleported away to another point away from the target (or in pieces) (up to the PD of the shield any thing that is over gets through onto target). This is easy for ranged as destroying the ranged bit has no effect on the firer (unless it is recoverable charges and I would deal with that as it happens).

Hitting someone with a fist or a club. BANG bits of fist or club gets teleported away. But in Hero that does not happen as it is attached to the person / is held by the person so cannot. So either we say energy is only teleported away and I am not happy with that. Someother people may be happy with that and no one has come forward with an official hero or villain build like that so most of the writers for HERO do not think of teleport shield without a side effect. So the logical thing is to have damage shield to inflict damage to simulate bits of hands flying off or breaking the club etc.

His GM may be happy with the HTH PD / ED HTH SFX with it and so are you.

But teleporters tend to be harder to hit not increased PD / ED from HTH teleporting shields. They may get it from other things but not a teleport HTH away power.

My balance for punching a teleport shield is it has a damage shield connected to it. Therefore you punch the teleport shield BANG hitter takes XD6 killing damage reduced by resistant PD (possibly with armour piercing or NND or penetration etc) and then the PD on target takes effect.

I am saying this teleport shield should have damage shield linked for HTH. And a similar effects should be done with fire shield. But other GM's do not have to.

This build seems to be "I want this power effect and I want the SFX to be teleport" but the teleport SFX is not the logical effect to mimic those powers for HTH.

I like my games to have logic behind the powers. Obviously other GM's are more flexible but that is their choice in their game.

He wanted comments on this build I am putting over my thoughts to go with your thoughts on other aspects of the build.

If this was my player I would say this teleport shield is not logical to teleport HTH. To make it more logical you will have to add damage shield so adding costs. Or you can think of another way to get your PD / ED and see if you can get it cheaper etc.

But these are for a more logical scientific super hero game and may not be suitable in more flexible games.