DNAgents for Champions in DIfferent Worlds magazine #34? Anyone have that?

Mathew

Re: DNAgents for Champions in DIfferent Worlds magazine #34? Anyone have that?

That said...were you in agreement with what they put in?

I'm sure I wasn't. I haven't looked at in 20 years, but I recall disagreeing -- like ya do when you're 17.

I'll dig it out and look at it and give you an update.

Guest dan2448

I can't find this magazine for purchase anywhere. Anyone have a copy of the article in it on the DNAgents written up for Champions?

Old issues of Different Worlds, including this issue, are available on ebay from time-to-time. But as with any "low supply, low demand" item, the price can vary widely. It may be worthwhile waiting for the 'right' price.

I have issue #34. The stats were by Ray Greer, who was involved in the development of Champions originally, giving these stats a sort of 'quasi-officiality,' I suppose.

I was never a big fan of the DNAgents comic book, however. So I greatly preferred issue #23 of Different Worlds, which contains stats for the X-Men (with a Bill Willingham cover of the X-Men). Those stats are by Glen Thain (an early playtester), with artwork by Mark Williams. The same issue also contains an article titled "Designer Notes" by Champions co-creator Steve Peterson.

I also preferred issue 30, which has stats for the New Teen Titans by Steve Peterson (and artwork by Mark Williams).

DNA Agents for Villains and Vigilantes - RPGNow

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/880/Villains-and-Vigilantes%3A-Combo-%233?it=1

Cheers

QM

Wow. Now I need to go look for all my V&V stuff. I remember adapting "Force" for Champions and playing through "Crisis at Crusader Citadel" and "Death Duel with the Destroyers" in V&V. DDwtD was, of course, the source for all the villains that appeared in Bill Wilingham's "Elementals" comic series.

Guest dan2448

The story of how The Elementals comic book evolved out of those two modules Bill Willingham wrote for V&V is a little more complicated, actually. He explained it in detail during a 2006 interview with the Comics Journal that you can read here:

http://classic.tcj.com/interviews/the-bill-willingham-interview-part-one-of-four/

Here's the relevant section:

"DEPPEY: Those first two modules that you did had a lot of early characters that would eventually wind up in The Elementals, and I was wondering how long you had been cultivating these characters and this setting.

WILLINGHAM: I came up with what I thought was a good villain group just for the module. Came up with a storyline with them and all that. At this time, I’m living on Long Island, trying to break into comics, and I realized then that I was just one of billions of people that showed up at Marvel’s offices trying to get their first job. At the same time, a lot of independent companies were just starting. Pacific Comics just started. First Comics was making some noises that they were about to come around. Capital started publishing Nexus and Badger, I think. So I thought, “OK, if I can’t make it at Marvel yet, I’ll try some of these independents.” I thought I should try to come up with samples that were not Marvel characters to send out, and since I wasn’t going to do individual samples for every company, I thought I’d come up with a generic set of pages, and that’s where I came up with The Elementals. I had not planned to publish them as a group, I just wanted something to draw to show I could draw and sent those out as samples. One of which was to Noble Comics in Grand Rapids, Mich. They got excited by that and said, “Come on out here and do comics with us.” They were doing a thing called Justice Machine. And I moved out there to do some work and that’s what I was going to be working on. And Mike Gustovich, the head guy at Noble Comics, kind of got this concerned look on his face, and said, “Well, you’re gonna be doing this book you pitched to us, these Elementals things.” And that’s when I realized, “Oh, I wasn’t just pitching myself as an artist, I was pitching an actual book.” So I had to come up with a first issue and so many of these things are done, sort of falling ass-backwards into them. The need to come up with a first issue, I needed someone for these guys to fight, but I knew nothing about them because they were just generic art samples at the time. But I grabbed the old supervillain team from the Destroyers module to use, updated them a little bit… very, very, seat-of-the-pants, making-this-up-as-I-go-along kind of beginning to my comic-book career."

The story of how The Elementals comic book evolved out of those two modules Bill Willingham wrote for V&V is a little more complicated, actually. He explained it in detail during a 2006 interview with the Comics Journal that you can read here:

http://classic.tcj.com/interviews/the-bill-willingham-interview-part-one-of-four/

Here's the relevant section:

"DEPPEY: Those first two modules that you did had a lot of early characters that would eventually wind up in The Elementals, and I was wondering how long you had been cultivating these characters and this setting.

WILLINGHAM: I came up with what I thought was a good villain group just for the module. Came up with a storyline with them and all that. At this time, I’m living on Long Island, trying to break into comics, and I realized then that I was just one of billions of people that showed up at Marvel’s offices trying to get their first job. At the same time, a lot of independent companies were just starting. Pacific Comics just started. First Comics was making some noises that they were about to come around. Capital started publishing Nexus and Badger, I think. So I thought, “OK, if I can’t make it at Marvel yet, I’ll try some of these independents.” I thought I should try to come up with samples that were not Marvel characters to send out, and since I wasn’t going to do individual samples for every company, I thought I’d come up with a generic set of pages, and that’s where I came up with The Elementals. I had not planned to publish them as a group, I just wanted something to draw to show I could draw and sent those out as samples. One of which was to Noble Comics in Grand Rapids, Mich. They got excited by that and said, “Come on out here and do comics with us.” They were doing a thing called Justice Machine. And I moved out there to do some work and that’s what I was going to be working on. And Mike Gustovich, the head guy at Noble Comics, kind of got this concerned look on his face, and said, “Well, you’re gonna be doing this book you pitched to us, these Elementals things.” And that’s when I realized, “Oh, I wasn’t just pitching myself as an artist, I was pitching an actual book.” So I had to come up with a first issue and so many of these things are done, sort of falling ass-backwards into them. The need to come up with a first issue, I needed someone for these guys to fight, but I knew nothing about them because they were just generic art samples at the time. But I grabbed the old supervillain team from the Destroyers module to use, updated them a little bit… very, very, seat-of-the-pants, making-this-up-as-I-go-along kind of beginning to my comic-book career."

Awesome stuff. That's the way I (vaguely) remembered it. I did love the evolution of Ratman and Saker was a much better name than Doctor Apocalypse.

I worked with both the writeups from the Different Worlds magazine and the V&V DNAgents suppliment, which contained Champions conversion notes, combining them to make fuller character sheets. Here is what I came up with for the first four members:

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/AMBER.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/RAINBOWD.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/SURGE.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/TANK.pdf

I still need to convert Sham and Snafu.