The Guardians Project - Lets build the original Champions

MisterVimes

I would love to get the original PC info together with some maps, a thumbnail sketch of the scenarios and character story arcs George MacDonald ran, and that combined with the old champions universe would be a pretty easy to put together campaign.  Even if it was just on here and not an official product.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing was ever done with Gargoyle, since he was Mark Williams' character and it was said he had plans for Gargoyle. So, whatever the character is capable of is mostly conjecture.

It would be a pretty safe bet to base him on the character Gremlin in Classic Enemies. She first appeared in a magazine article (Space Gamer, iirc), where her origin was that she got a sample of the potion that gave Gargoyle his powers. The Classic Enemies version was a rewrite.

I would like to resurrect this thread and post some 6th edition updated versions more closely aligned to their character sheets in the original champions books but I can't seem to find my old copies anywhere.  The Enforcer84 versions are good (even if the new format mangled them) but really really powerful and advanced for introductory sheets.  I might just build them on starting points for superheroes as given in the rules (400/75) which shouldn't be too tough.  Just have to trim back some of the extras.

Don't forget That the Guardians were called the League Of Champions in the comics whose membership included the 3rd Giant[Goliath's son], Doctor Arcane, Sparkplug[Flare's sister] and Icicle [icestar's sibling].

Don't forget That the Guardians were called the League Of Champions in the comics whose membership included the 3rd Giant[Goliath's son], Doctor Arcane, Sparkplug[Flare's sister] and Icicle [icestar's sibling].

That's because the comic lost the licence to all of the Guardians ex Dennis Mallonee's characters. The Comics are in their own universe that only slightly intersects with the original Guardians Universe.

OK this one is a major guesstimate, based on the suggestion of using Gremlin as a template for Gargoyle.  I based the build on Gremlin, on the character's appearance, and on his role as flying team brick.  We know he has a normal human form, we know he has spikes and claws and wings.  I presumed that the serum gave him a small level of power outside his hero form.  With 400 points he's very hard to hurt.

Forgive me if I did you injustice, Mark Williams, wherever you are.

Gargoyle

Player: Mark Williams

Gargoyle
Val Char Cost    Form
 15  STR    5          35      Lift: 200kg/3200 kg   Damage: 3d6/7d6 (10d6 w/HTA)
 13  DEX    6          18
 18  CON    8         28
 11  BOD    1         16
 13  INT      3         13       Perception Roll 12-
 10  EGO    0         10
 10  PRE     0         25      Presence Attack: 2d6/5d6
  8   PD       6       28/38 (hardened rPD)
  8   ED       6       28/38 (hardened rED)
  3   SPD    10        4
  6   REC    2         14
 25  END    1         45  
 20  STN     0        45

14m  RUN    2
4m    SWIM  0
14m  LEAP  1
Characteristics Cost: 87

Cost Power
  3     Serum Enhanced Senses: +1 PER with all Sense Groups
  5     Serum Enhanced Senses: Nightvision
  9     Serum Willpower: Mental Defense (10 points total), Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (+1/2) (9 Active Points)
  6     Magical Serum: Power Defense (5 points), Hardened (+1/4) (6 Active Points)
 10    Magic Serum: Damage Negation (-1 DCs Physical, -1 DCs Energy)
  6     Magic Serum: Resistant Protection (2 PD/2 ED)

--Gargoyle Form, all slots Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)--
 18    Hardy: Life Support  (Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) (22 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 14    Wings: Flight 20m, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 16    Rock Hard Skin: Damage Negation (-2 DCs Physical, -2 DCs Energy -- total 3DC each) (20 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 24    Tough Skin: <i>Tough Skin:</i>  Resistant Protection (8 PD/8 ED -- total 10 each), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  5     Tough: Power Defense (5 points -- total 10), Hardened (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  7     Strong Will: <i>Strong Will:</i>  Mental Defense (5 points -- total 10) (9 active points); Resistant (+1/2), Hardened (+1/4) 
 10    Strong Eyes: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points), Hardened (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 12    Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (15 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 10    Stony Fists: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 20    Gargoyle Form: +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (29 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
  8     Gargoyle Form: +10 CON (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  8     Gargoyle Form: +5 DEX (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 12    Gargoyle Form: +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  8     Gargoyle Form: +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 16    Gargoyle Form: +20 PD (20 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 16    Gargoyle Form: +20 ED (20 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  6     Gargoyle Form: +8 REC (8 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  3     Gargoyle Form: +20 END (4 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  4     Gargoyle Form: +5 BODY (5 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 10    Gargoyle Form: +25 STUN (13 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  3     Gargoyle Legs: Leaping +8m (14m forward, 7m upward) (4 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
  6     Serum Healing: Regeneration (1 BODY per Hour) (8 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 274

Cost Skill
  3     Conversation 14-
  2     AK: New York City 11-
  3     Deduction 12-
  3     High Society 14-
  1     Language:  Aztec (basic conversation - Aztec was the team's secret code language)
  3     Paramedics 12-
  3     Persuasion 14-
  2     PS 11-
  3     Stealth 13-
 16    +2 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 39

Total Character Cost: 400

Pts. Disadvantage
 15   Hunted:  WITCH Infrequently (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
 20   Hunted:  Viper Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Code vs Killing (Common; Strong)
 15   Social Complication:  Secret Identity Frequently, Major
 15   Susceptibility:  Temperatures under freezing 1d6 drain to stun and dex per Turn (Uncommon)
 10   Vulnerability:  Cold damage (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 90

10402379_878799882137733_334528891605704

The guy that played Rose still does, at least.  I have her built based on some notes he shared but I'm hoping he'll do a rebuild so it will be official.  That leaves Icestar whose personality and background I know nothing about (save that he's not the womanizing frat boy he was portrayed as in the comics).

That is a very interesting take on Gargoyle.  I do see some obvious differences, from the Gargoyle Mark created and ran. The most glaring one is "Code vs Killing".  Those spikes on his knees and elbows were a killing attack, which he had little or no compulsion against using.  It was a frequent point of conflict with several of the other members of the team.

It was a presence attack from Gargoyle, during a full military attack on The Guardians (George wanted to test a war game rules extension to HERO) that led to Rose breaking her “Code vs Killing” as a gunner in a main battle tank.  George did a very masterful job using a “Shattered Rose” story arc which pitted Rose against the Guardians and eventually herself to bring the character back to some sense of normality.

I should also point out, that while I have followed the Hero System as a personal interest; I have not actively “Played.”  I think the last time I actually did any role-playing I was GMing a Hero “Shadow Punk” type of campaign back in 2000. In 2001 I moved to Reno, NV and fell out of gaming.

I will look over the other Guardians you have posted here and let you know my thoughts.  I have finished my conversion of Rose’s last played write up to 6E. This weekend I will make some time and work up a Rose reboot.

I am also taking the liberty to contact the original players that I still have contact info for and will try and coax some info out of them. Tragically guesses and memories are all we will have to go on for Gargoyle, as Mark passed away in 1998.

I played 1st Edition back in the day...wow, was it really that long ago (30+ years)? I agree that Gargoyle should have no CvK and if possible should have a higher PRE; I had a friend at the Naval base I was stationed at who decided to play him and, because there was no visible write-up for the character, decided to make him (among other things) an alien PRE monster. He kind of anticipated the movie "Predator" by a few years (it was 1983). No "severing the head and spinal column from the rest of the body to keep as a trophy", although if he'd heard of that. he probably would have done it...