Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Celt

Dragon*Con 2012 Hero Games meetup

Guest Celt

Herodom Assemble!

Originally started on the NGD section, opening thread here for correct subforum-

Those attending Dragon*Con intertested in a Hero Games boards meetup? Eightfold_Path and I will be attending Dragon*Con along with some friends of ours. In the other thread I suggested Thursday evening at Pitty Pat's Porch because the food is delicious and plentiful. Some might think it pricey however. I'm amenable to change in location and time, though I expect to attend the Rebel Legion/501st dinner on Monday.

Also, anyone expecting to march in the parade? I'm not sure if I'll be walking with Rebel Legion or the Browncoats.

Re: Dragon*Con 2012 Hero Games meetup

Orange isn't really your color.

Funny story. They were working on the Hyatt and we got bumped (and compensated for the bump) to the Omni hotel (6 blocks away). That weekend there was a football game going own between University of Georgia (Red and Black) and Boise State (Blue and Orange). The first morning I wore my Red Lantern shirt and was gleefully grunted at by Georgia Fans. But on the day that Jen did her Rule-63 Deathstroke and I did Two-Face we ran into Boise fans and they were cheering Jen. She responded with a nervous "Yay local sports team." and we got out of there.

On the way back that night, a drunken and disgruntled Georgia fan tried to stop us and yelled "Are you a Dragon con?!" -- in my usual way, I yelled back "Did you graduate from any college?"

Jen hustled me away :)

Guest Celt

My first time to Dragon*Con was last year. Apparently the hotel staff were happy to have all us nerds and geeks around because we mellowed the rowdy football fans out.

My first time to Dragon*Con was last year. Apparently the hotel staff were happy to have all us nerds and geeks around because we mellowed the rowdy football fans out.
My first D*Con was 1990. Before 1987 we had Atlanta Fantasy Fair.

The hotels love us, because we tip well and we're much nicer than football nerds. If you're planning to eat well while you're in town and want to stay close try:

Sear - aged steaks in the $30-$30 range. Get a reservation. They are in the Marriott.

Rays in the City - fantastic seafood in $20-$30 range. Right across from the Hyatt and one block south.

Funny story. They were working on the Hyatt and we got bumped (and compensated for the bump) to the Omni hotel (6 blocks away). That weekend there was a football game going own between University of Georgia (Red and Black) and Boise State (Blue and Orange). The first morning I wore my Red Lantern shirt and was gleefully grunted at by Georgia Fans. But on the day that Jen did her Rule-63 Deathstroke and I did Two-Face we ran into Boise fans and they were cheering Jen. She responded with a nervous "Yay local sports team." and we got out of there.

On the way back that night, a drunken and disgruntled Georgia fan tried to stop us and yelled "Are you a Dragon con?!" -- in my usual way, I yelled back "Did you graduate from any college?"

Jen hustled me away :)

:lol: Freaking the locals ...

You coming to D*Con? (say yes)

Don't know. I've been a few times, but last time they pissed me off so bad I swore they'd never see my money again. I've mellowed a bit in the intervening years, and it's in driving distance now, so I can unequivocally say 'maybe.'

:lol: Freaking the locals ...

My fighting in the streets days are over. My snarking in the streets and making Jen haul me away days have just begun. :D

Don't know. I've been a few times' date=' but last time they pissed me off so bad I swore they'd never see my money again. I've mellowed a bit in the intervening years, and it's in driving distance now, so I can unequivocally say 'maybe.'[/quote']

I will not beg. But we'd love to see you :)

Guest Celt

Don't know. I've been a few times, but last time they pissed me off so bad I swore they'd never see my money again. I've mellowed a bit in the intervening years, and it's in driving distance now, so I can unequivocally say 'maybe.'

Well now you gotta tell us what happened.

FYI for those who recall the pain of the long check in lines, apparently the computerized system has sped things up greatly.

FYI for those who recall the pain of the long check in lines, apparently the computerized system has sped things up greatly.

It certainly did. The experience from 2010 to 2011 was night and day.

FYI for those who recall the pain of the long check in lines' date=' apparently the computerized system has sped things up greatly.[/quote']

Quoted for truth. I still recall some of the nightmare years when they assigned you numbers.

I still suggest getting to registration as soon as possible, though.

Guest Celt

Quoted for truth. I still recall some of the nightmare years when they assigned you numbers.

I still suggest getting to registration as soon as possible, though.

And bring some water and a good hat if it's sunny.

It's a very long story, but a big part of it was standing in line for 7 hours to get in. I couldn't leave because, well, that's the long story. If I go, I'll regale you then :)

I will not beg. But we'd love to see you :)

Generally, I'd like to. I want to meet all you freaks too, and I do have GenCon on my list at last. If I do D*Con, though, we'd have to hit Coke World. You've been warned.

Guest Celt

It's a very long story' date=' but a big part of it was standing in line for 7 hours to get in. I couldn't leave because, well, that's the long story. If I go, I'll regale you then :)[/quote']

I've heard about the horrors of the previous check in lines, but this should no longer be a concern with the computerized check in. It went very quickly last year and that was with first time snafus.

I've heard about the horrors of the previous check in lines' date=' but this should no longer be a concern with the computerized check in. It went very quickly last year and that was with first time snafus.[/quote']

I'm really glad to hear this. But on the other hand, I'm appalled that it took until 2011.

I'm really glad to hear this. But on the other hand' date=' I'm appalled that it took until 2011.[/quote']

It's not that they didn't try different methods. They just didn't hit on one that worked at all well until last year.

It's not that they didn't try different methods. They just didn't hit on one that worked at all well until last year.

Frankly I blame it on poor oversight. The Con has continued to grow, but they have lost much of the industry buy-in (inside sources say that they are not very friendly to companies seeking tables) and they could have gone to bar-code readers a while ago. It's like a really rickety thrill ride. You shake your head in line, but you keep coming back because it still grabs you.

Frankly I blame it on poor oversight. The Con has continued to grow' date=' but they have lost much of the industry buy-in (inside sources say that they are not very friendly to companies seeking tables) and they could have gone to bar-code readers a while ago. It's like a really rickety thrill ride. You shake your head in line, but you keep coming back because it still grabs you.[/quote']

That's a fair assessment. I've wondered how their for-profit status (most of the other major cons seem to be non-profits) has affected decision-making. They also seem to want to keep growing whether or not the infrastructure can handle it.

(Which reminds me: There are walkways connecting most of the host hotels to one another. My advice to all of you is to stay the heck off of them on Saturday. Use the streets.)

Anyway, as you mention, there's still enough great stuff to make it worthwhile. I'm looking forward to the bands and maybe another trip through the Georgia Aquarium.

Heh. I am reminded of this recent video:

I don't know. I've heard there can still be some significant waiting at times still. But I haven't stood in line for the past three years, so my information might be old.