Heavenly HEROic Host: Playing Angels

Claire Redfield

Then the great curtain of black smoke split asunder, rent by blades of golden light

It parted around her as she descended upon wings of luminous white

In her hand, the Sun

In her eyes, the Light

In her heart, the Fire

In her spirit, the Purity

Before her blackened the twisted host, scattered by her wrath

The besieged armies of humanity rallied to her banner and strove once more against their enemy

Her arrival was as the coming of the Storm, and her passing like dawn blooming warm and vital in Spring

More piercing than any weapon she could wield was the gift she brought the weary, the frightened, the desperate

Upon wings of light she brought Hope

Playing lots of Magic lately (and putting together a new deck) has really gotten me wanting to play an angel. Now, like in Magic, I want my angels decoupled from Christianity, but this leaves lots of room to create and have fun. The idea is rather simple: powerful beings that hail from higher realm(s), who are bringers of light or war, wisdom or hope, staunch enemies of the darkness and tyranny. I rather like that, in the lore, the angels are pretty much all female. It makes me wonder what we'd do with male radiant beings of similar stature, though, to make them equal.

How would you like to play angels? Modern supernatural WoD/Witchcraft/Armageddon-style settings? There they could be powerful and dangerous and involved in the cool hidden wars of the supernatural. Or perhaps in various fantasy settings, like in Magic? A dark realm like Innistrad needs a lot of work, even if you are a powerful angel.

Or what about something over the top, like Darksiders, with angels as possible characters? I think that'd be pretty cool. I like the lore of the Darksiders world, and there are angels in it. Instead of the Horsemen, you could play as Angels, though there is Christianity involved there, I think. Well, they've already played fast and loose with the mythology, so it should be pretty easy to excise other parts of it.

I also made a half-angel character for a Devil May Cry game who could even "Angel Trigger" and transform into an angelic form for a time.

Here are some pics of that character, Celeste, and some other angels I like. Tell me what kinds of angelic gaming you'd want to do!

Re: Heavenly HEROic Host: Playing Angels

Crossposted

For reasons best known to himself, John Templar fights crime and otherwise seeks to do good as the costumed martial artist Freedomsong, but he is also called The Paladin of the Streets. He has saved the life of more than one critically injured person with apparently paranormal healing abilities, and escaped ambushes and deathtraps with miraculous good fortune.

John knows that Somebody Up There Loves him. Somebody Up There Listens. And it terrifies him.

He has a woman he's courting, he has dreams of fostering children from the orphanage he volunteers at, he likes taking a night off for beer and darts once in a while, he has a LIFE of his own. And that is why, so far, he has withheld his consent, his commitment - the one thing required to make him a perfect vessel of angelic power. For as far as he knows, it could be a one way transformation; once the Archangel manifests, once truly invoked rather than evoked, it will be "Thy will, not mine" that is done, and he may never get his own life back.

Make me an instrument of Thy peace: Multiform (750 Character Points in the most expensive form) (150 Active Points); 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (at the Will of a Higher Power); -3), Personality Loss First Roll After 1 Turn (-2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (New form has 150 pts of Complications; -2), Conditional Power Only in dire need (And cannot be OWN need; for example, not merely to save own life; -1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Conditional Power Requires a state of Grace (-1/4) Real Cost: 13

Lucius Alexander

Answering to a Higher Palindromedary

Crossposted

For reasons best known to himself, John Templar fights crime and otherwise seeks to do good as the costumed martial artist Freedomsong, but he is also called The Paladin of the Streets. He has saved the life of more than one critically injured person with apparently paranormal healing abilities, and escaped ambushes and deathtraps with miraculous good fortune.

John knows that Somebody Up There Loves him. Somebody Up There Listens. And it terrifies him.

He has a woman he's courting, he has dreams of fostering children from the orphanage he volunteers at, he likes taking a night off for beer and darts once in a while, he has a LIFE of his own. And that is why, so far, he has withheld his consent, his commitment - the one thing required to make him a perfect vessel of angelic power. For as far as he knows, it could be a one way transformation; once the Archangel manifests, once truly invoked rather than evoked, it will be "Thy will, not mine" that is done, and he may never get his own life back.

Make me an instrument of Thy peace: Multiform (750 Character Points in the most expensive form) (150 Active Points); 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (at the Will of a Higher Power); -3), Personality Loss First Roll After 1 Turn (-2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (New form has 150 pts of Complications; -2), Conditional Power Only in dire need (And cannot be OWN need; for example, not merely to save own life; -1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Conditional Power Requires a state of Grace (-1/4) Real Cost: 13

Lucius Alexander

Answering to a Higher Palindromedary

Pagan brother o' mine, sometimes it scares me how alike we think.

This is real bloody close to the character I made for a 1st. ed. Mage game, at least origin wise.

What, no In Nominie? :D Seriously, check that system out. They divide the Host into divisions that represent some aspect or power, such as War, Justice, Vengence, and so on. They even have various types of angels that wield their powers differently for each division they're pledged to.

• 2 weeks later...

Social Complication: Subject to orders from Charles Townsend Frequently, Major -15

Dependent NPC: Bosley Infrequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills) -5

Psychological Complication: Loyal to the other Angels (Common; Strong) -15

Hunted: Critics who deride the show as "eye candy" existing only to showcase the sex appeal of the stars Very Frequently (Less Pow; Limited Influence; viewers are too busy drooling to listen; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Motivation: Sneering) -5

Wait a minute, are we talking about Charlie's Angels?

Lucius Alexander

Lucius Alexander's Palindromedaries

What' date=' no [i']In Nominie[/i]? :D Seriously, check that system out. They divide the Host into divisions that represent some aspect or power, such as War, Justice, Vengence, and so on. They even have various types of angels that wield their powers differently for each division they're pledged to.

And Testament from Green Ronin has also divisions for Angeals and demons. Yes it primarily deals from the Judeo-Christen perspective, but they had some powerful creatures. Even had a write up of Azrael the sin-eater.