Steve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Saw the premier last month and episode three this weekend :)

I'm a pretty big fan of the original and was sincerely afraid that they might not be able to recreate the magic.

So I was quite pleased that it turned out to be a magnificent continuation of the previous series :)

I am in love with this show. As far as the cars go, the original series had, as Bloodstone pointed out, early industrial age vehicles (and some anachronisms). In the real world that would be that 1860s-1870s (moving from screw to blade propellers, ironclad ships). This show is 70 years later and that would put the tech level near 1930s-1940s. Without a world war to drive technology and bending to add a magic twist, I don't think automobiles are illogical.

I've now watched through episode 4, and I'm very impressed with how they've incorporated things from the original series into this one. The technology changes do not bother me at all. The original series had ironclad warships and tanks, after all.

The Equalists are an interesting enemy for the series so far.

Guest Celt

Oh yes, there will be blood.....

I'm interested to see what they do with the bender-nonbender conflict.

Guest Celt

I'm torn. I love Korra and the world presented' date=' however, I usually root for the guy with no super powers.[/quote']

As do I. I think Sokka mostly got short-shrift in the original series, where I was hoping to see him show that those without bending could still be important through character, training and perseverance. Instead he got to be comedy relief, or as I called it these days, he got Gimli'd.

As do I. I think Sokka mostly got short-shrift in the original series' date=' where I was hoping to see him show that those without bending could still be important through character, training and perseverance. Instead he got to be comedy relief, or as I called it these days, he got Gimli'd.[/quote']

Well, he wasn't ONLY comedy relief. By the ed of the series, he was a brilliant inventor, tactician with a sword that could cut through anything. Plus we all have to respect that the funny and intelligent guy got all the girls.

When you really look at it, he was like the god damn Batman and King Arthur combined

I was saddened by what happened to him. Looking forward to more flashbacks that feature him though.

Also, people should read the Dark Horse comics "The Promise"

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Airbender-Promise-Part/dp/1595828117

Takes place right after the original series and helps fill in some gaps.

Part 2 is due out at the end of the month, Part 3 by September.

Guest Celt

I know Sokka got some more respect towards the end but it was a long time coming. Overall it still seemed in this universe you were a bender, an exception, or background color. I can sympathize with Amon even if I don't agree with his methods.

I also love hearing JK Simmons as Tenzin. He so often gets loud blowhard roles like J Jonah Jameson it's nice to hear him with something calmer (for the most part).

I know Sokka got some more respect towards the end but it was a long time coming. Overall it still seemed in this universe you were a bender' date=' an exception, or background color. I can sympathize with Amon even if I don't agree with his methods.[/quote']

Well, the focus of the story is on Aang and his teachers, so it's to be expected.

But a lot of the non-benders were pretty awesome.

Master Piandao, Jet and the Freedom Fighters, June, Mai, Ty Li, Suki and the other Kyoshi Warriors were all pretty amazing fighters that easily held their own against very powerful benders. The Mechanist, Hakoda and the other warriors of the Southern Water Tribe are all non benders that were critical to the success in the war.

As for Amon, that dude's running a huge scam...

Oh' date=' I'm totally looking at it that way. It plays out like a serial and Amon is totally a Republic Serial villain.[/quote']

Not true! Do you seriously think he'd explain his master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of them affecting its outcome? :sneaky:

Like others, I was concerned about how they would move forward with another story in this setting. I think they've done a fantastic job. And while I wasn't expecting cars, they didn't bother me. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.