Hero Designer 3 die roller ported to Android?

Re: Hero Designer 3 die roller ported to Android?

You just add a "k" after the number of damage dice.

It's not particularly elegant, but it is simple.

That's because the underlying code used for the roller was taken from the dieRoller in use on HC (linked earlier, though the version used in HD was taken from the Java code that runs server-side on HC in processing rolls in posts rather than the die roller page) -- BC Holmes had wrapped the UI around it.

That's because the underlying code used for the roller was taken from the dieRoller in use on HC (linked earlier' date=' though the version used in HD was taken from the Java code that runs server-side on HC in processing rolls in posts rather than the die roller page) -- BC Holmes had wrapped the UI around it.[/quote']Interesting.

In any case, I can't use it as is because my tablet won't run Java. That's why I'm hoping for an Android port.

Interesting.

In any case, I can't use it as is because my tablet won't run Java. That's why I'm hoping for an Android port.

It's not Java, it's JavaScript. Huge difference.

Your tablet will run it just fine. Go to the URL I gave above within your tablet's browser.

You don't even need to be online to use the roller, just save the page (or have it open in your tablet's browser) -- all calculations are done in the browser and do not go up to the server.

It's not Java, it's JavaScript. Huge difference.

Your tablet will run it just fine. Go to the URL I gave above within your tablet's browser.

You don't even need to be online to use the roller, just save the page (or have it open in your tablet's browser) -- all calculations are done in the browser and do not go up to the server.

It doesn't work, Dan. I tried it repeatedly.

Besides, I have a tolerable die roller. I just want one with all the bells and whistles for Android to run on my Kindle Fire. :)

Actually after looking on wikipedia a little, I am confused how your Tablet can not run Java. Android is a Linux derivate. The entire App-System is based on Java.

It's code is avalible under multiple free and open source agreements.

You should take another look, there is no way that there is no way to get a Java programm running on an Android.

It doesn't work, Dan. I tried it repeatedly.

Besides, I have a tolerable die roller. I just want one with all the bells and whistles for Android to run on my Kindle Fire. :)

It works and has been verified under iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android.

If it is not working in your browser on your Kindle Fire, then you will want to check your browser settings -- you likely have JavaScript disabled. Note again that JavaScript is not Java -- JavaScript is simply a scripting language that the browser can use for dynamic content. Many current sites will use a combination of JavaScript, CSS, and HTML to create dynamic/interactive displays -- having JavaScript disabled in your browser will prevent you from using a large number of sites (like this one).

This article seems to explain how to enable/disable Java script for the default Android Webbrowser:

http://timeread.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-enable-disable-JavaScript-on-the-Droid-Android-phone

And like I said there is little chance that there is no Java running on that phone - your Webbrowser is an Android App and every Android App is a Java Programm.

It works and has been verified under iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android.

If it is not working in your browser on your Kindle Fire, then you will want to check your browser settings -- you likely have JavaScript disabled. Note again that JavaScript is not Java -- JavaScript is simply a scripting language that the browser can use for dynamic content. Many current sites will use a combination of JavaScript, CSS, and HTML to create dynamic/interactive displays -- having JavaScript disabled in your browser will prevent you from using a large number of sites (like this one).

Dan, I checked the browser setting and JavaScript is enabled but it still won't work. It may be something to do with Amazon's dragging their feet to integrate the Kindle Fire with the web because they want everyone in their "walled garden." As of the moment they won't even allow alternate browsers but only their own Silk browser.

And like I said there is little chance that there is no Java running on that phone - your Webbrowser is an Android App and every Android App is a Java Programm.

Nope. Java and Android have little to do with each other besides the name. It's one of the reasons Oracle is suing Google. Google used Oracle's stuff but didn't make it compatible. You can't run Java on an Android phone, they're too different.

That's because the underlying code used for the roller was taken from the dieRoller in use on HC (linked earlier' date=' though the version used in HD was taken from the Java code that runs server-side on HC in processing rolls in posts rather than the die roller page) -- BC Holmes had wrapped the UI around it.[/quote']

Simon! You still exist? Cool!

Dan' date=' I checked the browser setting and JavaScript is enabled but it still won't work. It may be something to do with Amazon's dragging their feet to integrate the Kindle Fire with the web because they want everyone in their "walled garden." As of the moment they won't even allow alternate browsers but only their own Silk browser.[/quote']

Just had a coworker pull up the die roller (http://www.herocentral.net/dieRoller.htm) on their Kindle Fire (using the default Silk browser) and it works just fine.

You're either not going to the HC die roller, have something seriously off in your configuration/settings, or are not entering normal/accepted strings for the die roller.

I think "randInt(16)+3" is easier and shorter, than calling randInt(6)+1 three times.

Yeah it's shorter, but doesn't give the correct randomization (ie the output isn't a bell curve).

It's not THAT hard to do a loop that randomizes 1-6 then either places the output in a one dimensional array or simply keeps a running total. Doing this a total of 3 times.

the more tedious issue is When rolling damage for Normal dice to have the program test for 1s and 6's and either add 0, 1 or 2 body to the body total. Even that's pretty trivial. How you do it depends on if you want to use the data from each die roll somewhere else.

Also I learned when programing to Solve the Problem. If you are using "randInt(16)+3" you aren't solving the problem correctly.

The Hero Central Die Roller is actually pretty nice. It shows you the value of each die and the total (inc Body and Stun if it's figuring damage).

You're either not going to the HC die roller' date=' have something seriously off in your configuration/settings, or are not entering normal/accepted strings for the die roller.[/quote']

The die Roler on the page only accepts Strigns without brackets([]).

In all other instances (inlcuding the output window) it always has the String in brackets.

Yeah it's shorter' date=' but doesn't give the correct randomization (ie the output isn't a bell curve).[/quote']

Wich is what i was pointing out.

the more tedious issue is When rolling damage for Normal dice to have the program test for 1s and 6's and either add 0' date=' 1 or 2 body to the body total. Even that's pretty trivial. How you do it depends on if you want to use the data from each die roll somewhere else.[/quote']

I would just make a dieroller that rolls Nd6 (+ something) and then run the result through multiple interpreters:

One for the Sum (Normal Stun, Killing Body)

One for the normal body.

One for Killing Stun.

Or I just leave it, since the HC dieroller seems to work.

I can certainly use the Hero Die Roller at the URL Simon gave above on my android phone in the browser. Don't know if I can save a copy locally so that I can use it when not online, or if it requires an internet link, but that is rarely a problem, and I do not imagine the data usage is excessive.

Just had a coworker pull up the die roller (http://www.herocentral.net/dieRoller.htm) on their Kindle Fire (using the default Silk browser) and it works just fine.

You're either not going to the HC die roller, have something seriously off in your configuration/settings, or are not entering normal/accepted strings for the die roller.

Maybe, but that's really beside the point. I already have a die roller. I just greatly preferred the one in HDv3 and would like one that provides the same appearance and functionality for my Fire. I was hoping either the original author or one of our other programmers here would try porting it to Android - an app for which I and I suspect many others would be willing to pay $3 or even $5 for.

• 9 years later...