Zl'f portrait by Storn

Trebuchet

For my birthday this year I decided to do something I've dreamed of for well over a decade: Get a professional rendering of my character Zl'f by Storn Cook. This is the 20th year I've played Zl'f and also the 20th year for our MidGuard campaign; she's the only player character who has been in play that entire time. (She's also has 164 XP now).

The result exceeded my wildest expectations:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43322[/ATTACH]

I wanted a Graeco-Roman mythological motif to go with the name and I thought the short Greek style tunic (based on a picture of the Greek goddess Artemis) and lace-up footwear achieved the desired effect perfectly. It's something I could envision a wood nymph or sylph wearing in a sylvan forest in ancient Greece, right down to the subtle floral decorations on the hem and neckline.

Thank you, Storn, and thanks to Death Tribble for helping me get in contact with Storn. :)

Re: Zl'f portrait by Storn

Might as well post her current hdc file too. The last hdc of her I posted here was v434 (79 XP ago); posted in September of 2007. My character records system uses Experience Points earned plus Base 350 points, not total points spent. So she currently has 9 unspent XP.

Cool. I know how stoked I was when I could get Storn to do Black Cat. When you can get a pro artists (especially one connected to the game you play) to do the art of a long term character is just too cool for words.

Having read about Zl'f for years, it was cool to see her. :D

I like her very much !

May I use her as an European contact for my player please ?

Contacted Opale.

Of course, as long as she doesn't do anything inappropriate.

I have a several page writeup of her powers (in non_Hero terms) and personality if you're interested.

Yes i'd be interested of getting her whole concept and RP guide :)

And I kinda tend to respect other's concepts too much to make them do things that are inappropriate, don't worry.

Is that inappropriate to be like an Opale ?

How do you pronounce "Zl'f"?
I pronounce it Zil'f with the accent on the first syllable. The apostrophe in Russian transliteration indicates a soft letter following. That may not be correct but I've been unable to find a Russian native speaker to give me the correct pronunciation. (I am currently playing two games of go online with a woman in St. Petersburg Russia but I was unable to explain to her exactly what I wanted to know.) It may well be Zl'f with no vowel sound at all but I honestly just don't know.

I took a little Russian once upon a time. I think what you're talking about is the soft sign (looks like a small lower case B), indicating a following consonant is soft. Here's a blog entry discussing hard vs soft consonants:

http://blog.properrussian.com/2011/06/hard-and-soft.html

And here's a video discussing the hard and soft signs:

I took a little Russian once upon a time. I think what you're talking about is the soft sign (looks like a small lower case B)' date=' indicating a following consonant is soft.[/quote']Correct. In Cyrillic her name is written ЗлЪф; with that very symbol you mentioned as the third letter. What I still don't know is if there is a vowel sound in the word or not. I want to know if it's pronounced Zil'f or Zl'f.

From here: http://listen2russian.com/lesson08/index.html

The soft-sign adds an 'ever-so-slight' [y] sound to the preceding consonant, and is always pronounced simultaneously with the consonant, as one unit.

Clear as mud, eh?

More clear mud: http://www.melearnrussian.com/2009/04/how-do-you-make-l-go-soft.html

And some more mud: http://listen2russian.com/lesson08/b/index.html

Also, he talks about the "L" starting at 11:43 in the video.

I'm having a hard time finding an example of an "L" and a soft sign crammed between two other consonants. Seems like all the examples are either occurring at the end of the word or with a vowel.

I found a multi-language pronunciation site: http://www.forvo.com/ which looked like just the answer I needed. Alas, despite literally a dozen attempts to open an account (on two different devices) I could not establish an account, so I'm kinda stymied. :(

If you're feeling adventurous, perhaps you'd care to try your luck? The word is ЗлЪф

I was finally able to log in to Forvo and put in a request for the correct pronunciation of ЗлЪф (Zl'f). Hopefully some kind Russian speaker there will enlighten me within a day or two. I did get a correct pronunciation for her given name, Елена (Elena). Turns out there is a soft "Y" sound at the beginning of the name so her named is correctly pronounced more like Yil-ena. That may explain why I have often seen it transcribed as Yelena.

EDIT: I just now got a pronunciation of Эльф from a Russian speaker at Forvo. According to the MP3 he recorded, the "Z" in Zl'f is silent and so the word is pronounced Ᾱylf or Ᾱelf - almost the same as English and German "Elf." Hopefully I'll get a second opinion to verify that, but at the moment it looks like I've been mispronouncing my character's name for 20 years. :o

Just got confirmation that Эльф is pronounced El'f from another Russian language website. There is in fact no "Z" in her name at all; Russian has two letters Э and 3 which depending on the font can look almost identical and represent E and Z respectively. I must have transposed the two letters years ago even though I was using the correct one: Э

It is rather entertaining (and oddly humbling) to consider that even after 20 years one can still learn something new about one's character. Ah well; I should look on the bright side: at least nobody will need to ask me how it's pronounced anymore. :)

I'd done a pic of Zl'f (excuse me, El'f) some time ago based on the original Animated/Timm-

style pic, and after seeing the new drawing of her that Storn did, I thought that I'd see if I

could come close to doing a F2011 version of her. I just got her pic back today, so here she

is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43709[/ATTACH]

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

I'd done a pic of Zl'f (excuse me, El'f) some time ago based on the original Animated/Timm-

style pic, and after seeing the new drawing of her that Storn did, I thought that I'd see if I

could come close to doing a F2011 version of her. I just got her pic back today, so here she

is...

I like it!

Did you you use some character-drawing software to do that? If so, what was it and where can I get it?