Star Hero Setting: The Fires of Heaven

mattingly

You want a "cheque?" Heh, I'm a game designer, probably just as broke as anyone else here. But I'll include an homage to Lawnmower Boy in a future Terracide product; probably a really awesome NPC.

One point I should clarify: Terracide isn't exactly a post-apocalyptic setting, but rather an apocalyptic one. Instead of putting the PCs in the aftermath of an apocalypse, Terracide takes place in an apocalypse which is still going on, and the PCs have many opportunities to influence its outcome, for good or ill. One way to run it is to start the campaign with Terra's destruction, with the PCs off-world in the colonies, and let them find out along with everyone else when the news arrives. Now, begin....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one to notice a decided number of clearly 5th edition conventions, not 6th edition, in this book? In fact, I don't see anything 6th Edition in it at all.

Just to be clear, you're talking about The Fires of Heaven, right? If so, can you provide more detail? I still haven't gotten to read the book, but a quick review shows 6E traits all over. Now I did spot a couple references to KB in inches rather than meters, so there's probably a few more. In general, most of what I saw was based on 6E.

Sure,

References to Hexes and inches: P. 180 (under "getting started"), 193 (Omnicorp Holographic Projector), 199 (Holovid Phone), 201 (Coleman Bubble Tent), 227 (the paragraph starting, "The distance scale"), 228 (Movement), Heck, the whole space distance system pp. 228-230 is set up in hexes and inches, as are the space ship designs.

Clone Warrior (p. 147), clearly not designed with 6th ED point costs (cost is less than 106 points before complications are even added).

Drugs (p. 206) are built as Aids that fade at 5 points per hour and not per turn. That bonus is listed as +3/4 instead of +1 3/4. I assumed that that was a 5th Ed convention.

Robots, starting P. 210, ocv and dcv appear to be figured. Ego has ecv listed. Robots also apparently don't need life support:immune to diseases and poisons

There are a few others, but maybe these aren't (as I assumed) 5th edition conventions that need to be updated (other than hexes and inches, which I totally understand), but rule changes the designers made.

Robots not having life support is not an edition thing. It is most likely an oversight or possibly a deliberate design choice but I can't possibly comprehend why you would think it had to do with what edition of the rules was used.

The Aid is probably a typo and is simply missing a 1 in front of the fraction.

I'm not understanding what the number of points used to build the clones has to do with what edition was used. Are the clones Player Characters?

It seems from your post the primary (and possibly only) thing that is definitely a hold over from 5E is the use of inches and hexes for distance.

Sure,

References to Hexes and inches: P. 180 (under "getting started"), 193 (Omnicorp Holographic Projector), 199 (Holovid Phone), 201 (Coleman Bubble Tent), 227 (the paragraph starting, "The distance scale"), 228 (Movement), Heck, the whole space distance system pp. 228-230 is set up in hexes and inches, as are the space ship designs.

Clone Warrior (p. 147), clearly not designed with 6th ED point costs (cost is less than 106 points before complications are even added).

Drugs (p. 206) are built as Aids that fade at 5 points per hour and not per turn. That bonus is listed as +3/4 instead of +1 3/4. I assumed that that was a 5th Ed convention.

Robots, starting P. 210, ocv and dcv appear to be figured. Ego has ecv listed. Robots also apparently don't need life support:immune to diseases and poisons

There are a few others, but maybe these aren't (as I assumed) 5th edition conventions that need to be updated (other than hexes and inches, which I totally understand), but rule changes the designers made.

Thanks for the references. So there are some mistakes, possible typos (such as noted by bigbywolfe), but not really a wholesale, "it's not 6E at all," situation.

This comes down to some editing, etc. The last time I looked at the Hero System license, there was nothing where Hero Games was responsible for the editing of licensed products. I believe that's all handled by the author/publisher.

Thanks for the references. So there are some mistakes, possible typos (such as noted by bigbywolfe), but not really a wholesale, "it's not 6E at all," situation.

This comes down to some editing, etc. The last time I looked at the Hero System license, there was nothing where Hero Games was responsible for the editing of licensed products. I believe that's all handled by the author/publisher.

I don't think anyone implied that Hero Games was responsible. I was just warning and/or sharing my experiences with the module.

• 7 years later...

Hi all,

I just got Fires of Heaven (print + pdf) and other Star HERO books from herogames.com.

I like Fires of Heaven a lot!

**Question to anyone who can answer** -- did Patrick Sweeney/Blackwyrm ever put out MAPS of the many planets detailed in the setting?

(I'm sure some GMs like the "freedom" of not having any prescribed maps, but I'm more of an "inker" than a penciller - I would prefer to have some sort of map showing the continents, major cities, acid oceans/notable features mentioned in the text.)

Thanks in advance!!!