I like Playing Bricks! Is that wrong?

TheQuestionMan

Re: I like Playing Bricks! Is that wrong?

It's important to remember the first superhero was a brick' date=' Superman. The first important female super heroine, Wonder Woman was also a brick, among other things.[/quote']

Heck, the first Female Superhero (Red Tornado) was a brick.

Are you having fun? Then you're doing it right.

Happy belated B-day

Let me ask you some questions about the bricks you play:

Do they have different skills than your other bricks?

Do they have skills at all?

Do they have different personalities - even slightly different?

Are they all the same "type" of brick? Like are they all just super strong? Or do some have STR from growth, density Increase, or other sources?

Even if you answer "no" to the above questions, there is still nothing wrong with playing only bricks.

I personally enjoy playing super powered detectives. I have made a pulp type detective (never played), a brick detective (Named Mr. Stone), and a mentalist detective (named Emerald). Note: the mentalist detective would NEVER use his mental powers to "spoil" a mystery.

The problem I have is that most GM's and players don't play mystery type games. I once tried to GM a game that started out as a mystery and a player left it because I didn't "tell" him it was going to be a mystery. Sigh. Now they just sit on the shelf, and I only GM post-by-post games.

And the only GM that actually was trying to play a mystery type game posted not often enough for my taste. At that time he posted about twice a week (post-by-post) and I was a daily (now an every other day) posting personality. So. the game actually lost interest for me.

Personally, I figure out how to put Flight on every single Superhero I play, even when it's conceptually sketchy.

Because I think Superhero's should fly. And for no other reason.

We all have our favorite little bits of gaming, superhero or otherwise, and damn the man who tells us we're having fun wrong.

Greetings Programs and Happy Birthday to ME!

I like playing Bricks in Champions, I mean I really enjoy it. It it wrong that I prefer to play a Brick rather than any other Archetype?

For the longest time in various GURPS and HERO campaigns that I have been a part of I like playing the Brick/Warrior Archetype over anything else.

Does this make me a Power Gamer?

Does this make me Wrong?

Is this what Gaming is about?

I have played other Archetypes, but have not nearly had so much fun. My only rousing success has been Errandis, an Elf Wizard, Warrior, and Master of the Great Game. Then there is the Knife Fighter/Throwing Master in a Fantasy/DUNE campaign setting. I myself am a large man with some martial arts training and having worked 16 years downtown at night off and on. I have only had 2 occassions where I withdrawn from conflict. I stay in the Job because I know what I am doing and am good at what I do.

Is that wrong? Certainly not.

Can it be problematic? Certainly it can be.

I personally have a wierd tendency to play women. Don't ask me why, I just do (and afaik this is not because my blood was redirected someplace where it could have more fun).

I could see some reasons for your tendency towards Bricks:

Simplicity: High STR, High Def, maybe a AoE, No Range. (this was one reason my first character was a Brick).

It's easy to make an Ersatz-brick: Just put DI or Growth in the Multipower (that you maybe already have) and you can have Brick level powers for some time. Much harder to make a Ersatz-Blaster.

They are notoriously "Hard to knock out". PC-K.O. is a big problem for most games. Some choose to counter this by increasing the "steps" for deep stunning. Deeps stun means loosing actions, wich means you can't participate.

They are also rather hard to Stun with any single attack (being stunned means you loose actions).

Well defined power skill examples

About superman being the first Brick:

Superman was the First.

Wonder Woman is another.

Martian manhunter is also one in some interpretations.

Aquaman is ersatz Brick.

GL can certainly become a Brick as well (just by virtue of the protective Aura and Improving HTH-Damage).

About the only two members of the Justice League without any Brick abilities are Flash and Batman.

Greetings Programs and Happy Birthday to ME!

I like playing Bricks in Champions, I mean I really enjoy it. It it wrong that I prefer to play a Brick rather than any other Archetype?

For the longest time in various GURPS and HERO campaigns that I have been a part of I like playing the Brick/Warrior Archetype over anything else.

Does this make me a Power Gamer?

Does this make me Wrong?

Is this what Gaming is about?

I have played other Archetypes, but have not nearly had so much fun. My only rousing success has been Errandis, an Elf Wizard, Warrior, and Master of the Great Game. Then there is the Knife Fighter/Throwing Master in a Fantasy/DUNE campaign setting. I myself am a large man with some martial arts training and having worked 16 years downtown at night off and on. I have only had 2 occassions where I withdrawn from conflict. I stay in the Job because I know what I am doing and am good at what I do.

Thanks

QM (age 42)

Loving Bricks is not wrong....it's crazy, but Not wrong... ;)

Happy belated birthday!

As for the Brick Question, no there's not a thing wrong with it. The qualities that bricks possess-strength, endurance, durability, security-probably represent qualities you see in yourself, or that you aspire to. And that's cool!

It's important to remember the first superhero was a brick' date=' Superman. The first important female super heroine, Wonder Woman was also a brick, among other things.[/quote']

And Dr. Fate was turned from a mystic into a brick mid-way through his Golden Age run. I figure the two-fisted types (whether bricks or not) just resonated better with the readers.

And Dr. Fate was turned from a mystic into a brick mid-way through his Golden Age run. I figure the two-fisted types (whether bricks or not) just resonated better with the readers.

Well, hitting people is something we all can understand.

It's harder to grasp shooting fire, controlling energy, making hardlight constructs or controlling magical energies.

Well, hitting people is something we all can understand.

It's harder to grasp shooting fire, controlling energy, making hardlight constructs or controlling magical energies.

And the heroes who could do those things often settled for punching the bad guys. My guess is that it seemed more dynamic on the page.

Personally, I figure out how to put Flight on every single Superhero I play, even when it's conceptually sketchy.

Because I think Superhero's should fly. And for no other reason.

We all have our favorite little bits of gaming, superhero or otherwise, and damn the man who tells us we're having fun wrong.

That explains Melt's otherwise entirely incongruous flight power. Now with a NCM

From the "What I Learned Playing a Brick" thread of years ago.

Alone, I can only break things. United with others, I build things.

Alone, I am only a brick. United with others, I become a wall, a home, a school, a hospital - a city.

Civilization began when the first bricks were made from mud and straw and used to build the first towns.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes this was many years ago

I really enjoyed playing a brick that had a code against striking people. It was pretty much like playing an old 1970's TV Superfriend - Heroes don't hit.

I really had to think and maneuver to remain an asset to the team. I was strong enough to grab and hold, or manipulate most villains. Tossing them away from the battlefield was just as effective as entangling them, assuming they had modest movement powers. It was damage mitigation for the team, and we could gang up on the remainders.

I effectively had a complication "Must go after armored folk", because I could try to rip them out of their costumes. Very alarming, I would suspect, for poor Tony Stark. Grabbing an immobilizing focuses became another hallmark.

Personal favorite: STR usable against Desolid (ultra-dense). Grabbed a Vision type guy while he was desolid, and held his head head underground (no post 12 recovery). Nearly every other villain raced over to try and break my grip before the poor clicker ran out of END. Blowing up robots wasn't a problem for me - even so-called sentient ones. Call me a meat bigot, but I had everyone's attention for about 6 phases. :-) He really should have bought more endurance...

I really enjoyed playing a brick that had a code against striking people. It was pretty much like playing an old 1970's TV Superfriend - Heroes don't hit.

I really had to think and maneuver to remain an asset to the team. I was strong enough to grab and hold, or manipulate most villains. Tossing them away from the battlefield was just as effective as entangling them, assuming they had modest movement powers. It was damage mitigation for the team, and we could gang up on the remainders.

I effectively had a complication "Must go after armored folk", because I could try to rip them out of their costumes. Very alarming, I would suspect, for poor Tony Stark. Grabbing an immobilizing focuses became another hallmark.

Personal favorite: STR usable against Desolid (ultra-dense). Grabbed a Vision type guy while he was desolid, and held his head head underground (no post 12 recovery). Nearly every other villain raced over to try and break my grip before the poor clicker ran out of END. Blowing up robots wasn't a problem for me - even so-called sentient ones. Call me a meat bigot, but I had everyone's attention for about 6 phases. :-) He really should have bought more endurance...

I have had a couple times an unoffical "must takre out enemy mentalists"............What?