Curious about your view on the current state of CO. (Anybody still play regularly?)

Logan D

So I'm wondering. Are the changes made by PWE to the Champions Online causing frustration to the point where people from here who played are leaving or curtailing their time in the game?

I'm still playing, but I notice that a lot of old regulars don't seem to be around anymore.

I also noticed that Lord Liaden stopped posting in the lore thread months ago. Anybody know what's up with that? Is he ok?

I know that I'm not really happy with the way that PW is handling the region blocking and the "genericcing" of the forums in both STO and CO. The alert systems can be fun. But they're also very repetitive and grindy after a while and not very friendly to the lore of the IP.

Speaking of Lore continuity - WHAT CONTINUITY? In fact - what lore? They have this MOUNTAIN of lore they could use to expand the game world and they do practically nothing with it. Or outright ignore it. *sigh* :stupid:

The region blocking doesn't affect me. And the forums will go on, but it won't look as nice and there will be less personality to them. Hopefully the build guides will still be accessible.

So I'm not suggesting that I'm not still having fun. Or that the game is "dying". But... You have to wonder what's up when the vast majority of the devs are moved to Neverwinter Nights or Star Trek Online and the latest "perk" for lifetime subscribers is to be given beta access to NWN...

I mean... (flat) what.

I still love the game. I want it to do well. The character creator is STILL hands down the most robust of any MMO I can think of. The combat is still fun. There's still a community there and RP to be found. (though not supported by the devs, apparently, and in some cases actively stomped on - thanks for removing locations like the dojo (arms store) from the game where people actually used it for RP as well as it's original function. *shakes head sadly* Way to support your players, devs... )

But man, I don't know about all these changes. And PWE... damn...

Can I just say the unthinkable, here? I can hardly believe it myself, but... I'm starting to miss Atari.

Re: Curious about your view on the current state of CO. (Anybody still play regularly

I play regularly (@Sc00teR).

But I'm increasingly disappointed with the experience. Yes, there are promises of "big things coming " but we really don't know what to look forward to.

I believe the "On Alert" update has pretty much crushed the general idea of the game. It used to be that CO was about progression of a character through game content, and despite what the critics might say there is a LOT of content to be enjoyed. Lots and lots and lots of missions through varied zones and locations. There are some really fun stories tucked within those missions, too. Yes, the basic gameplay gets repetitive, but that's true with every MMO once you figure out the optimal way to use a character's abilities.

With "On Alert," the game has shifted its focus toward quick progression through minimal content and grinding whatever's necessary to gear up a character properly. I'm left asking, "gear the character up... for what?" I can't remember the last time I came across groups forming for any of the end-game lairs. Instead, they just grind NemCon for Questionite (wasn't that supposed to be "Questonite," or am I remembering incorrectly?). Or perhaps they're running through the opening acts of Resistance in hopes of getting a Dark Speed drop. Sometimes you'll see a group forming to grind the new Warlord alert in hopes of his costume drops. But in all these cases, the focus is upon collecting the reward gear, not developing the character.

And even though the Alerts offer a nice addition to the game, they've become such a huge focus. Having their UI presence so large and dominant doesn't help, nor does the offer of daily missions to spend in the Alerts. And the alerts basically amount to a quick encounter with a named villain (or a team of villains, for a couple of the special ones). Get in, kill quickly, grab the reward, get out, rinse and repeat.

What's more, I can't tell you how disapointed I am by the new gear system. Actually, I like the mechanics. But the end result is just boring. Everyone has basically the same strategy for grinding in order to obtain the same gear (with slight statistical variations). Gone are the days of clever names and amusing description text... which is a real shame.

I wish the "On Alert" patch would have gone a different direction. It would have been better if alerts were unexpected random pop-ups from time to time instead of a perpetual list of choices. So you might be working your way through a Canadian storyline of missions when suddenly an alert pops up that Viper X is planting bombs in the museum. Oh no! Quick! Stop what you're doing, click on the Alert button, get over there, and join a team of heroes to put a quick end to him. Then go back to what you're doing. These Alerts would happen often enough to grab attention, but would not be there persistently to supercede the rest of the game's content.

If they want to add daily missions, that's awesome. But how about a daily mission for completing 10 missions, for example. Give players a bonus for exploring the great content in the game. These daily missions could vary a bit (though admittedly there might be some logistics needed to work for all players, even if they don't have access to all zones yet). For example, one day you might be asked to do 5 Monster Island missions, but the next day you'd be asked to do 10 missions of any kind. You'd still get the rewards for the regular missions, but there'd be an added bonus for completing the daily as well.

A couple of other unrelated thoughts: The game is suffering big time because of a lack of developer communication. It just feels like they don't care anymore... as if CO is being given token, patronizing attention rather than significant ongoing development. I know that may not be the case, but it sure feels like it. Also, the lack of special in-game events lately is discouraging. Those events add fresh interest and engagement, but they've kind of dried up now.

Will I continue playing? You bet. (Though I'll have to totally rework my Might-based Tank toon because the new approach to his powers has made him utterly useless... thanks a lot... bleh...) But I suspect the game will fade away exponentially from this point. When Neverwinter is released, it will likely get worse.

And, keep in mind, when CO fades, the IP of Champions fades with it. That's perhaps the biggest sorrow of it all...

Re: Curious about your view on the current state of CO. (Anybody still play regularly

And, keep in mind, when CO fades, the IP of Champions fades with it. That's perhaps the biggest sorrow of it all...

Umm, that's not necessarily true. Hero retains the license to make new Champions material, and can pass that license on to third party publishers. I myself will be putting out Golden Age and Silver Age Champs at the very least, and anybody can apply to Jason for a license to make more modern-day Champs stuff. dw

Ah, yes. I spoke too soon, Darren. What I was thinking and should have said was that the new IP owners don't seem to share the love of the IP that us PnP fans have. It seems like Champs is just another generic setting for another MMO in their stable rather than the rich treasure of legacy and lore that could be developed and released within the game.

Yeah, I continue to look forward to licensed additions to Champions as you've said... :)

I've been enjoying CO but admittedly, the missions are getting old and they really should bring out new content more regularly. I'm thinking the way things are going right now is more about appeasing their Perfect World masters.

After one of the updates, around January or so, whenever I loaded up CO or STO and ran either, the computer I use tends to overheat. That's curtailed my time in both severely.

In fact logged in this morning for the first time in over a month and found I had to retcon my characters again. Isn't that like the second time this year?

I'm still playing regularly (though a couple of health related issues have slowed me down lately). The RP community I've connected with is pretty good (I'm particularly enjoying Sprawler's occasional "one different published Champions villain per day" event) and I do enjoy the alerts.

However, I share a lot of Scott's concerns, and the region blocking baffles, saddens, and infuriates me. I hope we can get some further development for the game, and I hope the community hasn't become so addicted to the easy xp of Dockside Black Fang that they'll reject it even when it does come.

I still play (@patternghost) , but I haven't logged in for a while. More due to lack of time to play games due to issues with sitting up for extended periods than any issues with the game. From that POV, I've liked the Alert missions, because I can hop on for ten or fifteen minutes and get a few done.

I don't think Cryptic has abandoned the game. The recent pass they've done to the game mechanics wasn't a small project. They say they did it so that it'll be easier to create new content going forward. I can't think of any reason they'd lie about that. The content may not come out as fast as we'd like, especially with Neverwinter coming out, but I suspect they'll dole out some stuff over time. The nice thing about it being free to play (or cheap game for the game time cards) is that if I feel that it's played out, I can go play something else for a while, until they get around to putting in updates I'm interested in.

Been playing, don't care for the Alerts at all it just turns things into a grindathon, shocked and horrified at Gravitar now basically being Paris Hilton with Super Powers. Hate the new crafting just seems blah generic.... Was also really disappointed in the new Power Armored stuff and the un-aimable plasma beam etc....

Being able to buy a free form slot now? Is there even a point to actually paying to play anymore? Freeform was like the primary thingie you got...

Ah well .... Hey Archie if you get a chance shoot me a copy of your Defiance Build I want to take a look at that again.... Thanks much...

~Rex .....still playing in the CO ..... Still trying to find that RP SG :D

I played religiously, every night, for a couple of months. I haven't logged on for a while, though. I was just getting the hang of the old device system when they introduced the new one, and I still don't fully understand it, or understand what gadgetry I should be trying to acquire and/or upgrade. I haven't done any of the alerts, I'm just not interested.

What is this "region blocking" of which you speak? Is that why I can't get to Vibora Bay anymore? It's no longer an option when I approach the jet in MC.

I was happily grinding away at the various adventures, but I started getting bored by it. There's been no real role-playing except the casual conversations I've had in Club Caprice. I'd been hoping for more, but it hasn't panned out.

I've never been interested enough in the idea of the thing to play.

Not a troll; I hope it is doing well.

Frankly, I wish the character creator would be marketed separately.

I'd drop some serious cash on the Character Creator built into a Hero Designer type program....Hell if it had to be hosted like a small MMO thingie, I'd be willing to pay a small monthly fee to just log in, make a character, hit print and out flies the sheet with the pretty pictures attached...... There's ways to do it now, but....such a drag.

~Rex

Combining it with the Designer is a great idea.

I'd prefer it to be outside the MMO, but if that couldn't be helped, I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee as well or even a smaller fee per character.

I was happily grinding away at the various adventures' date=' but I started getting bored by it. There's been no real role-playing except the casual conversations I've had in Club Caprice. I'd been hoping for more, but it hasn't panned out.[/quote']

Caprice tends to be very... idiosyncratic... in its RP. Any special type or theme that you're looking for? Traditional hero, light RP, mercs? I could look for a group that might fit.

I also noticed that Lord Liaden stopped posting in the lore thread months ago. Anybody know what's up with that? Is he ok?

I assure you I'm still hanging in there. :) I just don't have the time -- or I confess, the inclination -- to involve myself in the game, or for that matter the community discussion. As a contributing factor to the latter, I'm no longer keeping up with the latest developments in CO continuity, and so don't feel I can provide up-to-date "lore" input. Speaking of that continuity:

I can't remember the last time I came across groups forming for any of the end-game lairs. Instead' date=' they just grind NemCon for Questionite (wasn't that supposed to be "Questonite," or am I remembering incorrectly?)[/quote']

Champions 4E and earlier had "Questonite," a super-strong plastic invented by Dr. Quest, father of the founder of the super-agent security firm, StarGuard International. With the 5E CU Steve Long introduced "Questionite," a super-strong metal that takes an uncannily keen edge.

Which reminds me of one of the most recent developments in CO continuity that really annoyed me: a widespread "Questionite meteor shower" that's spread the previously-rare mineral all over the world. To me that smacks of the devs coming up with a cheap in-game rationale for Questionite being collected by the ton by players for crafting, rather than just changing an IMO ill-conceived game element. And now declaring that Questionite can also be used as a power source just adds insult to injury.

... shocked and horrified at Gravitar now basically being Paris Hilton with Super Powers.

Well, to be fair, as originally presented in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks, and as many folks here noted and complained about, Gravitar in large measure was Paris Hilton with superpowers. Arrogant, spoiled, shallow, petulant, an attention-hound, and full of a sense of entitlement. As time has passed in the PnP Champions Universe she's described as having matured somewhat, but I don't blame Cryptic for hewing to her original description.

Besides, who hasn't wanted to b!tchslap Paris Hilton at some point? :eg:

I assure you I'm still hanging in there. :) I just don't have the time -- or I confess, the inclination -- to involve myself in the game, or for that matter the community discussion. As a contributing factor to the latter, I'm no longer keeping up with the latest developments in CO continuity, and so don't feel I can provide up-to-date "lore" input. Speaking of that continuity:

Champions 4E and earlier had "Questonite," a super-strong plastic invented by Dr. Quest, father of the founder of the super-agent security firm, StarGuard International. With the 5E CU Steve Long introduced "Questionite," a super-strong metal that takes an uncannily keen edge.

Which reminds me of one of the most recent developments in CO continuity that really annoyed me: a widespread "Questionite meteor shower" that's spread the previously-rare mineral all over the world. To me that smacks of the devs coming up with a cheap in-game rationale for Questionite being collected by the ton by players for crafting, rather than just changing an IMO ill-conceived game element. And now declaring that Questionite can also be used as a power source just adds insult to injury.

Well, to be fair, as originally presented in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks, and as many folks here noted and complained about, Gravitar in large measure was Paris Hilton with superpowers. Arrogant, spoiled, shallow, petulant, an attention-hound, and full of a sense of entitlement. As time has passed in the PnP Champions Universe she's described as having matured somewhat, but I don't blame Cryptic for hewing to her original description.

True, I suppose it's more me wanting something more akin to Cruella Deville with a cape and less Paris Hilton in a Hellfire Club outfit...

She's kind of a wuss in the fight anyway.

~Rex.... Misses a lot of that old cool 4th ed and older stuff

True' date=' I suppose it's more me wanting something more akin to Cruella Deville with a cape and less Paris Hilton in a Hellfire Club outfit...[/quote']

The Champions Universe has a slew of cool female villains who are "major league" in their powers and/or resources. I wouldn't give up on someone like that appearing in CO at some point.

~Rex.... Misses a lot of that old cool 4th ed and older stuff

You and me both, pal. Of course Cryptic/Perfect World owns a lot of that stuff too, and are free to work it in if they wish.

Oh good. Nice to see there wasn't some out of game emergency or something that curtailed you from posting on the forums. Always did like your postings on the lore thread. Though I can guess that could get old eventually. (I posted as "Aariny" at the time - with the Gatchaman themed icon. That is - before today, when they nuked the forums, and our identities, and our character web pages... *sigh*)

The questionite thing annoys me. Just as the Dilithium currency in STO annoys me. They are both currencies that allow you to buy rare things. Why not call it by the name of a CURRENCY rather than an in-game element that's supposed to be rare? In STO it could have been called Latinum. They already HAD latinum in the game, and now it's pretty much useless for anything. In Champions... I'm not sure. But they are pretty straight-forward about calling specific influence pips with Primus and Until as "tokens". Why not just go that literal?

PWE's decision-making is just STRANGE. I get the sense that they keep trying to bend these games into the Asian style grind format. And I just think they STILL haven't figured out that that format doesn't work very well in the western market.

Anyway, I just treat them as currencies and ignore any attempt to tie it to the game world. Except where it directly intersects. As an example - Recently in STO they introduced a dilithium mining mini-game. Now THAT I'll do, because it is an interaction that makes sense. I won't do it more than occasionally. But as a gathering activity it's no worse than mining was in WOW. And hey - it's ASTEROID mining! In a spacesuit! Which is actually kinda cool. :D

As for Gravitar... You have a point. When she was first introduced she was kinda Paris Hilton with superpowers. I was thinking more about her later mentions such as in Mechanon, Book of the Machine Champions: News of the World, where she seemed to have grown up somewhat.

As for wanting to bitchslap Gravitar... well I'll let you know how that feels when it happens. So far it's been nothing but her bitchslapping whole teams. I have yet to be on a successful run. And I got sick of it damn quick. If something is impossible, I won't play it. I don't play games to get frustrated over and over again.