Coaching from other GMs: How do you describe the combat effects

bluesguy

I got some excellent feedback from my players after our last session. Basically the problem is that during combat they really can't tell if they are having any 'impact' :) on their opponents. So they pound and pound and pound on an opponent and the opponent keeps getting back up (he hasn't been stunned or knocked out) and then they give him another blow and he is out or stunned. Basically I didn't say much about how the opponent was affected by their attacks.

Everyone is very good at describing how an attack looks but as a GM how would you describe that the last attack from the PC did some stun to their opponent?

Re: Coaching from other GMs: How do you describe the combat effects

"He seemed to feel that hit. He glares at you, and takes a swing."

Or

"There's a moment that his vision goes a little unfocused, and then he concentrates his gaze on you."

Or

"That seemed to get his attention. He's moving just a little slower, and winces a bit as he attacks."

Nearing unconsciousness:

"He's swaying a lot from that last blow, his breathing is loud, and it looks like he's attempting to gather every last bit of strength to go after you."

JoeG

I'm a big fan of as much game-transparency as possible, so I usually wind up saying how much STUN the target took in the shot anyway (I tend to verbalize the math as I'm doing it, anyway), so there's usually not a lot of doubt. :) I like to use comic book sound effects when I can, too, so a few stun might be a 'smack', while a more considerable hit might result in a 'KRA-FUNCH' or a 'KA-THOOM'.

I ran into the same problem when I first starting to gm. It bugged my players to no end. I try to be vivid and describe the effects of a blow in narrative terms as much as possible. Sound effects, collateral damage, the target's reactions (particularly facial expressions, retorts and bluster, etc, seem to be some of the best ways to give an impression of doing some damage.

"Crush brings both fists down ni a crushing double ax handle. THOOM! Vigil is driven to one knee while car alarm of off all along the block! Yet Vigil shakily hauls himself back up and shakes the fog out of his vision" (Haymaker connects and almost Stuns the target)

Like Ternaugh and phoenix, I tried to describe the impact had. Tried to base it on the power as well. If an attack had an effect, I would describe (or act out) how the bad guy reacted. I'd use something like a split lip or the villain shaking his head like he or she was trying to adjust. Mostly improvising. I wanted the characters to have cues about the effects their attacks were having.

Guest steamteck

I describe brutal impacts.noises like slabs of stone coming together and such. Separately I describe the bad guys or players pain. "You feel like a hammer slammed into your head but by sheer force of will you keep it together ( exactly or close to CON in stun points) , The brute is visibly shake by your blow that sends blood flying in a crimson arc of off his crushed lip but he refusee to fall down. ( lots of stun but not stunned). The impact is ferocious and the brute reels drukenly from the impact. his guard drops as he desperately tries to shrug off the enormous blow ( he just got stunned) I paint the place with purple prose and myplayers eat it up but your group may vary. Worked for me since the 80s though.;)

All of you thank you very much. I don't have this problem when running Fantasy Hero because it is 'easier' to describe how an opponent is hurt when hit by a weapon. And getting cut by a sword or shot by an arrow can be described very graphically. "When you arrow hit him in the chest, you can see that the arrow penetrated his armor and blood is coming from the wound at a rapid rate."

But I was having a hard time doing the same thing for Champions (a silver age style campaign) without getting 'graphic'. Each of these posts have given me plenty of pointers.

Yeah. The key here is actually letting misses have effects, too. Unlike what it says in the 6th edition rules. Letting people know that a massive blast just ripped out a chunk of the wall behind them gives the heroes an idea of just how mighty they are and how mighty their opponents are. That way, when they do connect with an opponent, they see how mighty their opponent is and get an idea of his power level.

I'm a big fan of as much game-transparency as possible' date=' so I usually wind up saying how much STUN the target took in the shot anyway (I tend to verbalize the math as I'm doing it, anyway), so there's usually not a lot of doubt. :) I like to use comic book sound effects when I can, too, so a few stun might be a 'smack', while a more considerable hit might result in a 'KRA-FUNCH' or a 'KA-THOOM'.[/quote']

I also think "full disclosure" is the best.

I also have no problem with the players knowing the SPD of their enemy as well.

They will be clearly told if they "detected" a weakness (they are obvious too), so they may properly exploit it.

As for Balabontos point, by Rules as Written everyone is entiteled to know the "intensity" of an attack power. Not precise dies or Damage Classes, but a 8d6, a 12d6 and a 12d6, double AP attack are clearly discernible at different power levels.

I as a player need to know if my attacks are doing squat against the foe and I need this information clear.

And I also believe that the heroes in comics have that kind of information.

In "DC Showcase: Captain Marvel" Black Adam told Superman that he had detected the krytonians weakness against magic.

Heroes know when they "need a mroe powerfull attack".

Personally, I don't want to know the game mechanics and prefer a description of what's going on and that's how I tend to run my games. If an attack has particularly or unusually strong effect (triggering a vulnerability, for example) I'll emphasize its effectiveness but unless the character has an in character way to know I won't say "You've found his Vulnerability."