Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

Re: Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

in India the woman who was gang-raped on a bus reported it to the police...and was raped by the investigator.

You might be thinking of a case in Tunisia were a women was assaulted by police and then charged.

The woman from India has "taken a turn for the worse." I don't really advise reading about it anymore; what details they are now releasing are a good deal more horrific than just rape and beating. Torture, reckless disregard for another's life, malice aforethought (they were armed), and conspiracy to commit all of the above. Even if she survives, they should be liable for a capital crime if even half of the allegations are true. It's no longer second degree attempted murder, but qualifies for first degree easily.

It's really quite upsetting, and I'd be careful with the news if you're easily affect by this sort of gruesome crime.

Just give me a weapon and an airtight alibi... :mad:

Yeah, I'd don't think I'd care about an alibi if I was in the same room with one of these cretins.

You might be thinking of a case in Tunisia were a women was assaulted by police and then charged.

The woman from India has "taken a turn for the worse." I don't really advise reading about it anymore; what details they are now releasing are a good deal more horrific than just rape and beating. Torture, reckless disregard for another's life, malice aforethought (they were armed), and conspiracy to commit all of the above. Even if she survives, they should be liable for a capital crime if even half of the allegations are true. It's no longer second degree attempted murder, but qualifies for first degree easily.

It's really quite upsetting, and I'd be careful with the news if you're easily affect by this sort of gruesome crime.

Yeah, I'd don't think I'd care about an alibi if I was in the same room with one of these cretins.

No, I'm pretty sure it was one of the recent India stories. Also the initial young lady I read about passed away from her injuries.

I still get baffled by things like this. Why wouldnt gamer guys WANT more gamer girls? You know? People they can TALK TO about their favorite hobby?

Also I hear, even today, the "all MMO players are guys" meme, and it just stuns me. Ive known many, many female gamers, people I know in real life, who play MMO's. Its frakking 2013, people! Get your heads out of the 20th century and into the 21st! Oy!

I still get baffled by things like this. Why wouldnt gamer guys WANT more gamer girls? You know? People they can TALK TO about their favorite hobby?

Also I hear, even today, the "all MMO players are guys" meme, and it just stuns me. Ive known many, many female gamers, people I know in real life, who play MMO's. Its frakking 2013, people! Get your heads out of the 20th century and into the 21st! Oy!

See, these [bLEEPS] don't want women like me gaming. They want subservient Manic Pixie Girls who'll never be better than them at games but just be in awe of the [bLEEPER]'s "superiority" -- and they'll only come out when the [bLEEPER] wants to show off and never willingly attend a con in public on their own because Girls at Cons are Wrong.

In short, these guys have their heads up their [bLEEPS].

See' date=' these [bLEEPS'] don't want women like me gaming. They want subservient Manic Pixie Girls who'll never be better than them at games but just be in awe of the [bLEEPER]'s "superiority" -- and they'll only come out when the [bLEEPER] wants to show off and never willingly attend a con in public on their own because Girls at Cons are Wrong.

In short, these guys have their heads up their [bLEEPS].

Much like guys who don't want girls in any activity. Sports, business, music...

There are just guys who feel women get advantages they don't, and seek to exclude or belittle them. And there are women who feel the same way.

I call both groups a-holes.

I thought this was very interesting. It's not sexism in geek communities per se, but it does talk about images of women in the media in general. That may dovetail into such things as images of women in say comic books, and at a convention.

Summary: a successful Victoria's Secret and Vogue model says that to be a model she had to first "win a genetic lottery" and then she says the pictures in those magazines are not her but instead "constructions."

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/bestoftv/2013/01/09/exp-point-russell-model.cnn

While not excusing the creepers, #6 on 75 Things You Don't Know About Women is, IMO and from other statments in this thread, just out and out wrong but is the kind of thing that leads to stupid behavior on the part of the male gender:

"When considering whether or not to ask out the girl you're afraid to talk to' date=' keep this in mind: No matter who you are or what you look like, it's always flattering when you hit on us. Always."[/quote']