Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

Re: Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

I don't watch Jersey Shore.

Someone mentioned Jersey Shore to me the other day. My first thought was Springsteen, not Snooki. I am extremely happy about that, and refused their offer of a crash course in modern living.

Everything dies baby, that's a fact

But maybe everything that dies someday comes back

Put on your makeup, fix your hair up pretty

And meet me tonight in Atlantic City.

More from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5963528/heres-a-devastating-account-of-the-crap-women-in-the-games-business-have-to-deal-with-in-2012

and why women Devs stick around despite how they are treated.

http://kotaku.com/5963755/and-heres-why-women-in-the-games-business-put-up-with-so-much-crap

Perhaps a better name for that Blog Post should be "the Reason why #1ReasonWhy shouldn't need to exist" might have been more positive. I kind of though that was going to be a troll post against the whole campaign.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/3-ways-video-games-must-improve/

One point was to improve sales Game companies must look beyond sales to "Core Gamers" also to recognize that 47% of gamers are now Women. That to continue to produce games that insult that demographic is foolish and must stop.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/3-ways-video-games-must-improve/

One point was to improve sales Game companies must look beyond sales to "Core Gamers" also to recognize that 47% of gamers are now Women. That to continue to produce games that insult that demographic is foolish and must stop.

I don't expect this to happen, if the TV industry is any guide. For reasons that escape me, but must make sense to TV executives, discarding even a majority of viewers is common.

I'll give three examples, but here is the common scene. Say there are five competing networks (at the time of my first example). One show is bringing in 40% of the viewers, and the other four networks are splitting 60% (15% each) between them. What to do? Ditch your show, and put a clone of the 40% show in its place. Now you're getting 1/5 of 40%, and 60% of the viewers are discovering treeware.

It has happened at least three times:

1)1992. You have Carson, Arsenio, Nightline, and "Crimetime After Primetime" on CBS. What does CBS do? Why, cancel Crimetime and bring in Letterman of course! Anybody who isn't interested in watching a talking head? Tough!

2)19...96? You say you like Lois & Clark? Too bad if you also like Seaquest.

Today: There are three shows competing for the X Files demographic: Fringe, Grimm, and Supernatural. Guess where on the calendar you can find those three shows?

Same deal here: "Our audience likes First Person Shooters! Lots of gunfire, blow-things-up, 'twich 'n' flex'! People who want 4X games or Sims...can we suggest pen and pencil games?" (IOW, they literally don't want your money).

More humor: I happened to cruise by PvP Online and saw this comic about the "fake female geek" row:

pvp20121113.jpg

Thank you, Brent, now I have to go bleach my brain.

And this is the guy who proposed to his wife dressed as Han Solo.

I used to enjoy this comic, but it's completely lost its appeal for me. I stopped following it several months ago, and honestly, I don't miss it.

Jade does have a very good point, though--as usual.

Apologies for the sidetrack.

So this has been posted on Reddit today regarding Anita Sarkeesian and her tropes vs women issue.

And they've been discussing it.

Any one here hear anything about it? I know there were some who have said that she got the Kickstarter money and didn't follow up with her projects...in essence using it as a way to make a quick buck.

I'm not sure if anyone's done any research on her projects.

Anyway, it was a relatively sad little discussion; with the usual cries of "I told you so!" and "You don't know what you're talking about!" from both sides of the aisle. The anti-Anita side using a female gamer's perspective as proof that there isn't a problem...the pro-Anita side pointing to the comment section of every where she's blogged or posted as proof that there is. (oh and the scads of other women geeks who've said the same thing)

The discussion is happening (yay internet!) regardless and it's an ugly ugly discussion making everyone involved at times looking like @$$holes (Boo Interwebz!)

And I'd like to once again thank HERO gamers for being able to have this discussion like rational adults.

Link to Reddit Discussion (warning, inflammatory language inside)

I guess they haven't heard that it takes more than a few months to film a multipart Documentary.

People assume that someone waves their hand and new books, films and games just appear magically.

The idiot level in that reddit discussion drained my Int. I may have brain damage from that uglyness.

She's still the lightning rod for pretty much all discussion about sexism in Computer Gaming. It's easier to demonize her than to try to understand what she is trying to say. Let alone that she MIGHT have a point. It's the problem with most internet discussions. It's really hard to change people's minds. The best you can do is maybe change some undecided opinions in your direction.

That actually happened several years ago. I'm honestly not sure because I don't read it either, really. I'm not someone referenced PvP Online in another context, and I took a look at a few strips, and happened on that one. I tend to agree with you: the change in art style a few years back turned me off, and I stopped reading.

The idiot level in that reddit discussion drained my Int.

That's like a metaphor for the entire internet.

Sidetrack: WTF happened to the art in PVP Online? I could barely recognize the characters.

I think that Scott Kurtz stopped drawing the strip. He brought someone else in to lighten his workload.

Seriously... I mean wasn't the whole reason for the kickstarter in part to get the funds to obtain all the games she's going to have to play through and dissect?

That and other equipment she might need. Perhaps she's going to buy a new camera, get professional lighting and use better sound equipment. Also I wouldn't blame her if she took some salary out of the Kickstarter money to stay alive while she's working on it.

Also IF she's going to really go back and research some old games she will need the gaming equipment to run the games, not to mention actually buying those old games. She's got a lot of work ahead of her if she researches as much as her Kickstarter implies she plans to.

That and other equipment she might need. Perhaps she's going to buy a new camera, get professional lighting and use better sound equipment. Also I wouldn't blame her if she took some salary out of the Kickstarter money to stay alive while she's working on it.

Also IF she's going to really go back and research some old games she will need the gaming equipment to run the games, not to mention actually buying those old games. She's got a lot of work ahead of her if she researches as much as her Kickstarter implies she plans to.

That was my take as well from what I remembered of her mission statement. She funded less than a month ago, right?

That was my take as well from what I remembered of her mission statement. She funded less than a month ago' date=' right?[/quote']

I actually went and looked on her Kickstarter page yesterday to see what she told backers she was going to use the money for.

Also, she might use some money to pay people to do the camera work, Sound, and lighting. It all makes sense to me, I have a basic understanding about what goes into any video production. This isn't going to happen overnight. She still has months of research ,even if she wasn't playing a bajillion games as research. She would still have a lot of time and energy ahead of her doing research. That research will help this be more balanced. IMHO the more she researches stuff the better her end product. Though no matter what she produces, people will still say she is biased and she is slanting stuff to her viewpoing (kind of what happens to Michael Moore).

People are griping because she is looking into something that they are uncomfortable talking about. Sexism and Racism are 2 800lb gorillas in the room here in the US. People know they are out there, but either they don't see the problem or don't see how to change things. Women and people of color have been told for years to shut up and things will get better. It's really deeply planted in the psyche's of all who aren't part of the White Male population. White Geeks guys see some of the problem, being non alphas. Unfortunately, they are still treated better than most Women and People of color due to being male and white.

It really doesn't surprise me that as we talk about this stuff there are people who would rather have us all shut up again. It feels better to them, they don't have to examine their attitudes. Deep self examination of the psyche is not easy. Being called out on their inner BS is painful. So people naturally defend themselves even when they know deep inside they are being jerks.