Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

Re: Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

People may recall there was some controversy over the content of the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot.

I interviewed Noah Hughes, the creative director of Crystal Dynamics, a couple of days ago, and asked him about the scene (among many other things about the reboot and Tomb Raider in general).

http://gulfnews.com/opinions/bloggers/pwned-1.1007687/an-interview-with-noah-hughes-on-tomb-raider-1.1137871

The discussion of the controversial scene is about 3/4 of the way down - but the earlier parts will set the stage.

Noah Hughes seems like a reasonable and generally cool person. That interview has me wanting to play the game. (Im a lapsed fan too)

Yeah, he struck me that way too. Very intelligent and thoughtful as well.

And as to the game, here's the closing paragraph I'm submitting for the print version (which will be uploaded in a couple of days; I'll provide a link when it is):

"From my perspective, having played the limited demo at Games12 and an extended demo last week, I am looking forward to it with great excitement. Great games go beyond gameplay and story; they have a certain magic about them, a spark of genius. Everything I have seen so far indicates Creative Dynamics have caught that spark and bound it into this game. Lara Croft is back."

Ill admit it. I havent been on a date in a while.

A WHILE.

But that doesnt entitle me to treat anyone else as anything other than a Human Being. With all that that implies. (Thoughts, opinions, moods of their own, things to do, and all that).

If some people cant see that, then....yeah, theyre sad.

I got a question: what does "essentialism" mean as used by that article? Feels like a philosophy thing' date=' but I read Wikipedia and it didn't help me much. What the heck does it mean?[/quote']

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Essentialism

The concept of Essentialism states that there are innate, essential differences between men and women. That is, we are born with certain traits. This is often used as an explanation for why there are so few women in science and technology. It is also used as a rationale for pigeonholing, offering limited education, hiring discrimination, etc. It is also sometimes raised (including by women) under the guise of Equal but different.

Biologically essential differences between men and women's skills and social behaviour — or at least those of men as a group and women as a group — are the subject of active research. The strength of the findings of this research is often exaggerated when repeated, both by the media and by individuals. It is also common to find people in informal situations implying that a difference in the mean or median performance of men and women implies that any individual man will have that same difference from any individual woman.

In recent times, advocates of Sociobiology and Evolutionary psychology often claim evolved genetic differences between the brains of men and women as the source of behavioral differences in society.

Ah, thanks for that. The Wikipedia article was kinda dry; it explained Essentialism as a kind of taxonomy only. I tend to view biology as a continuum. (Lots of great essays by Stephen J. Gould on that subject, btw.) And as a result I was having a lot of trouble figuring out what it is Essentialism was trying to say.

Yeek! Though I would have to wonder how good the RP community is on GW seeing as many players persue that game as a PVP outlet. PvP seems to attract the worst kind of players.

RP in City of Heroes also struck me as distinctly ... weird. I never participated myself, but lots of things were discussed on the forums. I personally wouldn't try to draw too many conclusions about society because of it, other than the online RP community is into some really outré stuff. Overall though I agree it does seem to have a high squick factor, at least to outsiders.