Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

For the food geeks (like me)

How the James Beard Awards Are Trying to Be More Diverse

The #MeToo movement has also played a role in upcoming changes. Going forward, the foundation will stop adding to its Who’s Who of Food and Beverage in America. The list, in addition to being largely white and male, includes men who have since been accused of misconduct, like Mario Batali and John Besh. In advance of last year’s awards, the James Beard Foundation asked that judges include chef behavior when considering a person’s eligibility for an award. This rule is in effect once again, and the foundation has included additional time in the awards schedule for vetting nominees and winners.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
6 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Basically, I agree with everything this article says.  Check it out while I put away the shovel.

(I did like Afterlife, by the way.)

Answer the Call got 46 mill before there was a pandemic. Afterlife got 44 mill with a pandemic and the movie being delayed two years maybe. ATC opened in a summer slot with no competition. Afterlife opened in Nov right before Encanto and the Matrix Resurrections both of which are looking at taking the wind out of its sails. In a week, Afterlife has made almost as much money in five days as Answer the Call did in two weeks.

In my opinion, Paul Feige caused the failure of his movie. He should have said nothing. All he did was stir up people who might have given him a chance into saying we don't need your movie. And the movie sucked. (The boy said the actresses were trying to be too wacky which hurt the movie because they weren't funny). I have to agree with his assessment.

Critics liked Answer the Call but they don't like Afterlife. GB fans hated Answer the Call and liked Afterlife. That's all that matters.

CES   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

ActiBlizz, continuing to be a piece of fecal matter...

Activision Blizzard Clears Itself Of Any Wrongdoing

maybe I am being obtuse, but when your president has to check out, half your crew quits to go other places or got fired, and you lose a huge lawsuit to the government, doesn't that usually mean your company had some things going on? I think all of those are bad signs

CES

35 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Hopefully Microsoft cleans house if the purchase goes through. I'd expect a whole new set of executives.

The rumor is they have slowed down production on Call of Duty to one game every two years, and they are coming out with new maps for Warzone in the next few months. 

CES

• 11 months later...

So the pictures of the Bill Cosby room was just some random room at their offices? Wait, wasn't Kotick among the accused for this? Are we seeing a version of the Rudy defense here? How does that track unless he is saying his employees would rather work for Bill Gates than him?

This one headline raises so many questions.    

CES