The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Cassandra

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Yeah, I was referring to the Motion Comics. I really enjoyed (am enjoying them). I like the adult oriented stories. I have not enjoyed the latest Marvel animated movies as much as I have the DC. Again, I think it is the maturity of the storylines and characters.

Guest steamteck

Alan Moore also killed everyone in the Superman universe just before the Crisis on Infinite Earths so I still don't like him.

We're on the same page here but I did like the Black Mercy story.

• 2 weeks later...

WEll I just read Spiderman 700. Peter is dead...Dr. Octopus is now Spiderman...I....I...I...oh boy. Fortunatly nobody really dies.

The Good About Marvel: This Won't Last

The Bad About Marvel: They'll do more like it, because it will sell.

The Bad About Marvel That Isn't Marvel's Fault: The fans who will tell you how kewl this all is, because it's Marvel.

.oO(Thank god I stopped buying new comics 15 years ago.)

I started up again recently. I'm trying to find a series that I can use to hook the kids.

Actually, help me out here guys. Like aylwin I was out of the comics loop for a loooong time. Now I'm coming back in the store and there are like a dozen Avengers titles, half a dozen Spider-Man titles, Conan sucks, and I guess someone cloned the hell out of Wolverine. Which of these titles would be most familiar to a time traveler from the late '90s? If there's a title with the 'traditional' Spider-Man or the movie Avengers lineup, that'd be my preference, since those are the ones the kids are most familiar with.

edit: And I really appreciate issue numberings like '15.1'. Seriously, what does that even mean?

The Good About Marvel: This Won't Last

The Bad About Marvel: They'll do more like it, because it will sell.

The Bad About Marvel That Isn't Marvel's Fault: The fans who will tell you how kewl this all is, because it's Marvel.

The Bad About Marvel (or DC) That Isn't Marvel's (or DC's) Fault: They publish what the fans buy. If deaths and rebirths stop selling, they'll stop writing the stories. Tripling sales at the cost of getting berated on the internet by former fans who rarely if ever buy a book today is probably a good business model.

I started up again recently. I'm trying to find a series that I can use to hook the kids.

Actually, help me out here guys. Like aylwin I was out of the comics loop for a loooong time. Now I'm coming back in the store and there are like a dozen Avengers titles, half a dozen Spider-Man titles, Conan sucks, and I guess someone cloned the hell out of Wolverine. Which of these titles would be most familiar to a time traveler from the late '90s? If there's a title with the 'traditional' Spider-Man or the movie Avengers lineup, that'd be my preference, since those are the ones the kids are most familiar with.

edit: And I really appreciate issue numberings like '15.1'. Seriously, what does that even mean?

Not familiar with the Spidey titles, but given current events, I suspect an appropriate one will be hard to find. There's an Avengers Assemble book which seems a bit outside current continuity, but that's just gut feel as I'm well behind on reading anything. That book started with the movie release, and apparently features a rotating cast.

Marvel Adventures, then Marvel All Ages, targeted a younger audience. I believe there are now two targeted books, Ultimate Spider-Man (how this will be differentiated from the flagship title of the Ultimate Universe I don't know) and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, targeted at viewers of the cartoons. These might be good choices.

I suppose you're not looking for books that are treat mature subjects in a childish fashion, and are thus suitable for all ages...

Good Luck!

Are DC and Marvel just printing what the fans want, or are the fans buying it because it is the only thing available? I've got boxes of stuff that I bought because it was what Marvel was selling at the time, and I wanted the complete story, but didn't like the current storyline in the least.

Orion, I think your comment is well taken. For myself, I am getting close to 2 years behind in my reading, yet I keep buying my weekly comics. New 52 is on its 17th issue (counting "zero month"), and I'm past the half way point of "Road to Flashpoint". Obviously, I'm not judiciously assessing which books I really enjoy and which I don't, directing my dollars to the books I'd like to see more of and leaving the others on the rack.

That said, DC and Marvel continue to cancel some books and launch others. That's a factor of sales. If fans valued the reading experience more than having the complete run/complete storyline, then their dollars would vote for the books they like to read.

I think that one of the problems both DC/Marvel has is that they are being written by people who have no concept of heroism.

DC exists with the legacy of characters and situations created decades ago, and recycles classic stories with "Modern" takes on them. That works part of the time. But then they paint themselves into a corner and end up destroying the entire universe and have to start the rebuilding process over and over again.

Marvel as it's continuity with characters that were cliches from the get go, and had to had a lot of new blood to make things interesting. But now all the good stories have seem to been told and you want them to destroy the universe and start all over again (hello, New Universe!)

I think that one of the problems both DC/Marvel has is that they are being written by people who have no concept of heroism.

DC exists with the legacy of characters and situations created decades ago, and recycles classic stories with "Modern" takes on them. That works part of the time. But then they paint themselves into a corner and end up destroying the entire universe and have to start the rebuilding process over and over again.

Marvel as it's continuity with characters that were cliches from the get go, and had to had a lot of new blood to make things interesting. But now all the good stories have seem to been told and you want them to destroy the universe and start all over again (hello, New Universe!)

Can you explain what you mean by "cliches from the get go"? I can list half a dozen characters/teams/tropes, off the top of my head, from Marvel that were revolutionary for their time.

x books clichés: minorities vs the (government or wealthy or other minorities ) who hate and fear them even in a world were a normal gut can be bitten in the crouch by a radio active cyborg turtle and gain the same powers but for some reason this other guys has none of the social problems all mutants must face. miss, she ,ette ,girl clichés: I just like that other existing character only im a female

x books clichés: minorities vs the (government or wealthy or other minorities ) who hate and fear them even in a world were a normal gut can be bitten in the crouch by a radio active cyborg turtle and gain the same powers but for some reason this other guys has none of the social problems all mutants must face. miss' date=' she ,ette ,girl clichés: I just like that other existing character only im a female[/quote']

I'm not sure if it's cliche when you invented it...

EDIT: I won't argue that the "mutants are discriminated against while other supers are not" is not cliche. It is. I will argue that it was not "cliche from the get go", because as far as I know, prior to Marvel no other comic company had made an entire group of heroes out of a minority (even a fake one) to address racism in a popular forum.

x books clichés: minorities vs the (government or wealthy or other minorities ) who hate and fear them even in a world were a normal gut can be bitten in the crouch by a radio active cyborg turtle and gain the same powers but for some reason this other guys has none of the social problems all mutants must face. miss' date=' she ,ette ,girl clichés: I just like that other existing character only im a female[/quote']

Let's ignore also that the X-Men had an FBI liaison in the beginning.

well in there first casting they were freaks the doom patrol beat them to that punch. I dont think they had a path till the 70's when the book was relaunched. now in the role of minority that was ground braking but since that time I think it has become a simple cliche. and as the characters evolve it gets worse.