The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Cassandra

Re: The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Bad Things about Marvel

Wasp is still in hell

Everyone has joined The Avengers

Bad things about DC

They keep rebooting the continuity.

and I know I'm going to get a lot of feedback for this but the Dark Knight Rises didn't really make sense.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Good about Marvel. Recognizing the potential of properties like Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Bad about Marvel. Giving those two titles to Bendis and Loeb.

The good about DC. Earth 2, World's Finest. Saturday Morning DC Nation

The Bad about DC. DC Nation going on hiatus today with no warning after just getting back from Hiatus. Constant attempts to get folks to like crappy Jim Lee ideas like Team 7 and the Ravagers...

~Rex

The Good about Marvel....still has the best characters in comics...

The Bad about Marvel....nobody seems to be able to write them properly....

The Good about DC....the writing has been generally superior to Marvel over the last few years...

The Bad about DC...they ruined this great momentum with a pointless reboot...which ironically enough...seems to be less well written....no offense but the poor writing is one area you don't need to copy from Marvel...UGH

Lot of Marvel bad writers over in DC right now. Kept hoping they would take Bendis an Loeb but alas those two are entrenched in like Dire Ticks. Hell Loeb is the head of the TV stuff (bad marvel) so only Vishnu knows what's gonna happen.

~Rex

• 3 weeks later...

Good About DC

Arrow the TV Series - A good take on the characters early days, with Black Canary and Huntress waiting in the wings.

Green Arrow does seem to be the Wayne Rogers of DC universe heroes. When they needed a hero who wasn't going to be as expensive to use as Batman in his own series they used Green Arrow. When they wanted a vigilante to fight alongside Clark Kent in Smallville they used Green Arrow.

Good About DC and Marvel: the Silver Age and late Bronze Age: Dick Giordano (RIP) and Jim Shooter, Stan Lee and Julius Schwartz, Jack Kirby and John Broome, Marv Wolfman and Chris Claremont (when they were at the top of their game) Spider-Man, Legion of Superheroes, the Doom Patrol, Superman, Thor, Warlock*, Fantastic Four, X-Men, New Teen Titans, Batman and The Outsiders, Crisis On Infinite Earths, Captain America**, All-Star Squadron, Dreadstar, and The One.

Bad About DC and Marvel: the mid-to-late Iron Age and early Bronze Age: Gerry Conway and Denny O'Neal, Bob Harras and Mike Carlin, the Death of Gwen Stacy and Green Lantern/Green Arrow, the Death of Superman and the Clone Saga, Emerald Twilight and Onslaught, Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarlane, Black Lightning and Luke Cage, Wonder Woman and Justice League of America, Fantastic Four and Legion of Superheroes, "5 Years Later" and "the Wedding of Nightwing and Starfire", Omega Red and Doomsday, Ron Marz and Kevin Dooley, and pointless crossover after pointless crossover. (Do I need to name them all? Can anyone tell the difference between one meaningless cash grab and another?)

*Yes, I know. Warlock was in the mid-Bronze Age. However, I like it, so it's on the list. :)

**Please note, I'm mixing and matching here. Cap was way better in the Silver Age, than the late Bronze Age

Good About DC: The Best of the Iron Age! (No, Really! :D )

Dark Knight Returns

Kingdom Come

Waid and Peyer's Legion

Milestone Media

V for Vendetta

The Killing Joke (see next)

Birds of Prey

Morrison's JLA

Sandman and Death

Gerard Jones on Green Lantern (usually)

Vertigo (eventually)

Bane

The Question

Justice League International

The Power of Shazam

DC One Million

Perez's Wonder Woman

and the reigning champion (as far as I'm concerned)...

Watchmen :).

(There's no blood-spattered smile emoticons. :( )

• 2 weeks later...

Bad About DC

Alan Moore

First he redoes the Charlton Characters in his own image and while creating a new superhero universe, which is done everyday tries to make it "realistic" which seems to mean to him profanity, deviancy, corruption, and rape. Then he takes the left wings two greatest fears, Nuclear War and Richard Nixon and have them hang over the story. On top of this he undercuts the entire "realism" premise by having a ridiculously powerful character who because he is so powerful and all knowing he has decided to sit it out while the world is coming to an end. To make matters worse the plot revolves around a scheme so illogical, so full of loose ends, and the Joker on Peyote Buttons, LSD, Red Bull, and Meth couldn't have come up with it.

Then he kills off Superman's friends and family, and then makes us think a wink is going to make up for the most obvious ending of a story in history.

Then he forcibly retires the original Batgirl, the gunshot seems to have beginning the long decline of women in the DC Universe.

"I know what killed this hack. He's own bad writing. He wrote downbeat stories about depressed people doing dark things. Who wants that? The reader wants to be enlightened as well as entertained." Millennium, "Doomsday Defense"

Alan Moore by himself is fine. It's Alan Moore as a role model for other writers that sucks.

Also you forgot his run on Swamp Thing.

Frank Miller is another rantworthy writer: brilliant at his best, but he's past his prime.

Heh. Chris Claremont. 'Nuff said.

Alan Moore by himself is fine. It's Alan Moore as a role model for other writers that sucks.

Sort of agree with this..Up to a point.

It depends on which Alan Moore you're talking about. There's the popular image of Alan Moore, the guy who wrote Watchmen, Marvelman, and Killing Joke. Then there's the real Alan Moore who doesn't repeat himself endlessly and changes his writing style and subject matter to keep from falling into a rut. (The latter version, BTW, hates Watchmen and wants DC to give him back the rights so he can let it go out-of-print.)

The popular "Alan Moore" shouldn't be imitated by anyone with any level of writing skill. The real Alan Moore is someone I've learned a lot from. He taught me to challenge myself as a writer and to not fall into a "golden rut" (his term). He taught me that the most important part of writing is to get better and better and not worry about popularity or money. He taught me not to be afraid of what I write and to imbue my work with meaning and passion.

Unfortunately, a lot of no-talent and barely-any-talent hacks imitate "Popular Moore" and didn't bother to copy the guy who wrote Supreme and Tom Strong and 1963. That's hardly his fault. If he'd ever read it, he'd probably hate Identity Crisis as much as anybody here does and as I said he doesn't even like Watchmen.