The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Cassandra

Re: The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

I thought he didn't like Watchmen anymore because people interpret it differently than he intended and don't take away the message they are "supposed to". He commented once that he was horrified when people started writing to him telling him how much they loved Rorschach.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he didn't like Watchmen anymore because people interpret it differently than he intended and don't take away the message they are "supposed to". He commented once that he was horrified when people started writing to him telling him how much they loved Rorschach.

I think he's commented on that more than once. Either way, he seems to like Watchmen about as much as Cassandra and Steamteck.

I think he's commented on that more than once. Either way' date=' he seems to like Watchmen about as much as Cassandra and Steamteck.[/quote']

I don't know about that. In the link you posted he said he did not want it back and that he didn't want the prequel made because it would take away what was special about the original that he claims is literature. Doesn't sound likes he dislikes Watchmen as much as it sounds like he doesn't like other people playing in his sandbox, which would be understandable if he hadn't more or less copied the characters himself.

I don't know about that. In the link you posted he said he did not want it back and that he didn't want the prequel made because it would take away what was special about the original that he claims is literature. Doesn't sound likes he dislikes Watchmen as much as it sounds like he doesn't like other people playing in his sandbox' date=' which would be understandable if he hadn't more or less copied the characters himself.[/quote']

I may have overstated things. However, I know that as far back as the early 90s he was not fond of all the Watchmen clones.

Fast forward to 6:40

Even if Alan still likes Watchmen (and I don't think he does), he did do a lot of comics (Supreme, 1963, Judgement Day, etc.) that were the opposite of Watchmen.

I know several people who think he's the only sensible character in the book. Once the work gets out there, you can't really control how its perceived.

I liked Watchmen.

I still do. Not the be-all and end-all of comics for me, but it still holds up as a read.

Alan Moore reminds me of when they removed the restriction from movies in the late 1960s. For ever film that was enhanced by more realism you had a thousand that existed only to offend the audience. I don't have a problem with an author looking at superheroes in a different way as much as the abandonment of concepts like heroines, duty, and choice.

Look at Catwoman in Batman Returns and Catwoman with Halle Berry. The character wasn't the cat burglar with a conscious that has graced the Darknight's universe from almost the beginning. Instead we had a woman transformed from someone shy and quiet into a over aggressive super powered anti-heroine. No choice, just "magic" without any real explanation except for convenience of the plot.

Being a Hero, or a Villain is a Choice. Finding out the motivation is part of the fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Marvel Worst: Having Frank Cho draw a whole serie with a lot of female character in it while he is unable to draw more than 2 different female face (1 in fact), make for the worst group scene ever, like a Clone Marvel Themed party at Liberty Meadows. Make me stop reading anything from him after this one.

I like Frank Cho enough that I don't care that faces look alike. Seems like most artists can only drawn one or two bodies, so why not just a couple faces? Hal;f the reason for the uniforms is so they are easily identified anyway.

Annihilation was good on Marvel.

Though diminished Groot is still Groot. Groot will not tolerate mockery.

Mantis was great, and Super-Skrull, Nova, and Quasar. And then Raccoon nursing the seedling back at the end. Awesome shyte.

I have not picked up a DC comic in years. and will not ... I could give you 5 dozen reasons,

but putting a bullet through Blue Beetle's head was a big kicker. Stupid, Crass, Unnecessary

Also DC is the home of Alan Moore, the father of Crass and Unnecessary

Good About Marvel

Captain America as President of the United States. That should be as interesting as making Lex Luthor President (although according to the new DC continuity that never happened, which is the Bad about DC).

Bad About Marvel

Killing off Peter Parker. A desperate bid for readers as much as killing off Superman (Bad About DC) or bringing him back (Good About DC).

Good About Marvel

Captain America as President of the United States. That should be as interesting as making Lex Luthor President (although according to the new DC continuity that never happened, which is the Bad about DC).

I'm surprised you approve. Wasn't that in the Ultimate Universe? I would have thought that wasn't your preference. :)

A desperate bid for readers as much as killing off Superman (Bad About DC) or bringing him back (Good About DC).

That wasn't really a bid (desperate or otherwise) for readers. DC was surprised by the reaction and bringing Clark back was always in the cards. Personally, I thought everything DC did after bringing him back was desperate (Dead Again, The Death of Clark Kent, Electrosupes, Superman Red/Superman Blue, etc.)

Also, I hated the President Luthor storyline. I hated the handling of Luthor from Byrne's tenure onward. To me, Superman is an inherently optimistic book. The character is responsible for a lot of my outlook and moral beliefs. I always wonder what morals I would have learned from the post-Byrne Luthor; that if you're rich enough, you can literally get away with murder? That if I have enough money, I can be an evil bastard who becomes POTUS? If it was a subplot in an Image Comic or a story arc in The Punisher I wouldn't have cared. As a Superman story, it was ridiculous (IMLTHO).

Besides, how long would Lex have stayed free and untouched if he tried to fool Clark Kent; an indestructible investigative reporter with X-Ray Vision, Telescopic Vision, and Super-Hearing?

A "realistic" election in the DC universe would involve a choice between a candidate backed by Luthor (perhaps Luthor himself) and one backed by Morgan Edge (and Darkseid). This would, of course, occur after primaries against Bruce Wayne's candidates.

Good About Marvel

Marvel's The Avengers.

Bad About Marvel

Marvel's The Avengers having no supervillains other then Loki. Come on Guys! Let's have the master villain recruit a few thugs like Electro, Enforcer, Fixer, Beetle, and toss in Diamondback.