Announcement: The Monster Hunter International RPG!

Larry Correia and Hero Games are pleased to announce that they’re teaming up to produce a fan’s guide to and roleplaying game set in Correia’s “Monster Hunter International” setting, tentatively entitled The Monster Hunter International Employee’s Handbook And Roleplaying Game.

The MHIEHRPG will be a full-color, hardcover book approximately 300 pages long. It will be written by award-winning RPG writer/designer Steven S. Long and will include a full version of Hero Games’s HERO System rules specifically tailored for playing in the MHI setting. Fans won’t have to buy any other books to play the game; the MHIEHRPG will have everything they need for hours of exciting adventure!

“I’ve played roleplaying games for many years, and I’m thrilled to be able to bring the world of MHI into the roleplaying game arena,” said Correia, the author of three best-selling MHI novels (his fourth MHI book, Monster Hunter Legion, debuts in September). “I think the HERO System offers the perfect level of flexibility and detail for MHI adventures.”

“All of us here at Hero Games are big fans of Larry’s books, and we’re really looking forward to bringing the world of MHI to roleplaying gamers,” said Jason Walters, General Manager of Hero. “The book’s going to be a fantastic, full-color resource about the world of MHI.”

“The MHIEHRPG will have a lot to offer any MHI fan, even if he’s not a roleplaying gamer,” said Long. “It’s going to include information on how MHI trains its agents and carries out its missions, how the PUFF bounty system works, background information on major characters, and much more. If you like the MHI novels, you’re going to want the Employee’s Handbook.

Best of all for MHI fans, the MHIEHRPG will include all-new MHI fiction written by Larry Correia! Each chapter of the book begins with a piece of short MHI fiction that Correia will write especially for the MHIEHRPG.

Correia and Hero plan to fund the work through a Kickstarter project scheduled to begin October 1, 2012. “We think Kickstarter is the perfect way to bring this book to life,” said Walters. “It gives the fans a chance to learn more about the book, show their support, and earn some great rewards in the process. We’re still deciding on some of the rewards, but we know the highest support tiers will include the chance to appear as a character in a future MHI novel.”

To learn more about Larry Correia and Monster Hunter International, please visit Correia’s blog at http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com. To learn more about Hero Games and the HERO System, please visit http://www.herogames.com.

For further info or to post a response, please visit the thread of the same name on the HERO System Discussion board. :)

Re: Announcement: The Monster Hunter International RPG!

It's going to include a version of the HERO System Basic Rules that I'll tailor specifically to the setting. For example MHI's going to need more info on guns and car chases than is available in the standard BR.

If your second question is, "Will there be just a book with setting information but no rules?" the answer is "No." That would double our printing bills without appreciably increasing our income.

your announcement said "a full version of the Hero System"

Basic was not mentioned, and that confused me

So we would be getting 136 page HSB + 164 pages of added weapons & vehicle rules along with setting info for MHI

I asked about a separate setting book as this has me doubling up on HSB and my plan was to also get CC

It's going to include a version of the HERO System Basic Rules that I'll tailor specifically to the setting. For example MHI's going to need more info on guns and car chases than is available in the standard BR.

If your second question is, "Will there be just a book with setting information but no rules?" the answer is "No." That would double our printing bills without appreciably increasing our income.

Are you going to be seeking playtesters for this system, I know my and my friend group would love a chance to try this system out and I plan on getting the book regardless.

Simon -- I'm not sure yet. As we like to say sometimes, the HERO System's been playtested for the past thirty years, so we think it works pretty well. ;) However, it never hurts to get more input from folx who are new to the system and to learning it; we often discover good new ways to present things like that.

So if timing allows, I wouldn't mind recruiting some playtesters from MHI fans. Unfortunately timing is a pretty significant consideration, since we tend to work pretty quickly around here.

If I can work it out, what I may do is concentrate on the rules stuff first, then let playtesters chew on that while I write the rest of the book. That would probably be the best compromise among all the factors we have to take into account.

I'll keep everyone posted here, through the Kickstarter, and via Larry's blog as appropriate. Thanx for asking! :thumbup:

Awesome stuff!

I have a blog site dedicated to a Canadian MHI Team - M.H.I. Coastal Rangers - on which I've played around with both HERO and the BRP system. Have a couple of older posts on this forum with some MHI thoughts:

M.H.I. Coastal Rangers Monster Hunter Template

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/81767-M-H-I-Coastal-Rangers-Monster-Hunter-Template

FFW Body Armor?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/81730-FFW-Body-Armor?p=2067459#post2067459

Really looking forward to a fully fleshed out system that I can adapt my Campaign to!

Thanks Steve & Larry!!!

Steve,

If you decide to use playtesters, I might be interested, since I've never used the HERO system. And since my friend and I have already talked about getting a game going once it hits the market anyways, being able to playtest it in advance would be awesome.

Not heard of Larry Correia or MHI before this (not easy to keep current in the desert). But I followed the links and found one of his short stories and the first seven chapters of the first MHI novel and devoured them.

Yeah, this is cool, really cool, and very close to an Urban Fantasy Hero campaign idea I've been toying with.

Love what I've read so far. I'll have to see if I can find Larry's books when I'm in the UK next week; I'll Amazon order them if I don't find them - Baen books aren't always easy to find on the old side of the Pond. So tell Larry the cross-fertilisation works both ways.

And count me in for the Kickstarter when it's ready. I'll go printed book for this one, spare cash permitting.

I've read all the Monster Hunter books available, and have even tried to run a MHI campaign using a different system. When I heard about this, I was wondering what system it would be for. Now that I know, I gotta say... I'm scared. I've never used this game system before, and a member of my group is somewhat opposed to learning a new system. I'm gonna support this anyway, I mean, I joined here just for MHI. Please, keep the news coming so I can get my friends interested!

Not heard of Larry Correia or MHI before this (not easy to keep current in the desert). But I followed the links and found one of his short stories and the first seven chapters of the first MHI novel and devoured them.

Yeah, this is cool, really cool, and very close to an Urban Fantasy Hero campaign idea I've been toying with.

Love what I've read so far. I'll have to see if I can find Larry's books when I'm in the UK next week; I'll Amazon order them if I don't find them - Baen books aren't always easy to find on the old side of the Pond. So tell Larry the cross-fertilisation works both ways.

And count me in for the Kickstarter when it's ready. I'll go printed book for this one, spare cash permitting.

Baen sells e-books in a variety of formats, and I think MHI might be in the free library already. I personally do not prefer e-books, but the convenience of delivery is hard to beat.

So happy that Hero got the job of bringing MHI into the RPG world. I was excited when it was announced that a RPG book was being made based on the novels and was overjoyed when I learned it was going to be in my favorite system. Can't wait for the big release.

Baen sells e-books in a variety of formats' date=' and I think MHI might be in the free library already. I personally do not prefer e-books, but the convenience of delivery is hard to beat.[/quote']

Audible.com has them in mp3 format as well. I would also recommend Confessions of a D-List Supervillain. Funny, engaging and shows an uglier side of superheroics.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I just found out today and am thinking this is definitely a book I would buy. Awesome News Steve/Hero Games.

My brother and my gaming group have read these books and loved them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading the first novel, I plan to start the second soon. Throughly enjoyed the read. I am looking forward to this Kickstarter, it will be the first I have ever pledged to. I am still a 5ER guy and so is my group but I will gladly pledge in order to get the background material and what will still be throughly usable game material.

Read through the first few chapters on Baen's website, then went and picked up the omnibus edition of the first three novels The Monster Hunters, as well as the first book of Larry's other series, Hard Magic, which was utterly awesome. I'm almost of a mind to ask whether or not there's gonna be Hero System game for the Grimnoir setting, too.