NBC Revolution

Nolgroth

Just saw a preview for an upcoming Post Apocalyptic TV series entitled Revolution (with the last "o" being a power switch logo). Basically all electricity stops working (not explained in the preview), plunging the world into chaos. Fifteen years after the big oops, one of the protagonists goes in search of her uncle. Said uncle happens to be a bad-ass swordsman (at least from what the previews show). The uncle may have some key to turning back on the lights. Not much story from there.

The female protagonist is very obviously a rip-off from the Hunger Games lead. Instead of a normal bow, she uses a crossbow, but even the appearance is similar. I appreciate finding a marketable strategy but (the inevitable but) this is so transparently geared towards the Hunger Games fans that it makes me want to groan.

That said, I am cautiously looking forward to it. I love a good post-apoc story so I'll give it a chance. Also, a lot of the shows, that I have been watching for years, are getting old. Supernatural and Burn Notice have both basically outlived their useful lifespans. I watch them still, but it is not with the same sense of intrigue as I used to. This Revolution show just may be an interesting enough diversion as to be worth it. My big worry is that there will be some thinly veiled eco-awareness message plastered all over the story. I don't mind eco-awareness, I just want a story without strings attached.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NBC Revolution

Maybe it's my age but the whole "post-apoc" thing just leaves me cold. I'm ready for another Star Trek type series for my Sci-Fi fix.
I would not be opposed to another Star Trek show. As long as the next Sci-Fi show is not the same tone as the BSG reboot, I'd be satisfied. Space opera is another of my favorite genres.

I saw the preview for this a while back. My thoughts:

1. Wow, they're ripping off borrowing from S. M. Stirling's "Dies the Fire" novels, in which most high technology just stops working one day.

2. This could be cool, if they do it right.

3. I suspect, however, that like "Heroes" and "Flashforward" it will open big with some really nifty special effects and amazing scenes...and then quickly decay into something we've seen a million times before.

4. And...suspicions confirmed. They're going to JUMP ahead 20 (or is it 50?) years, to the new status quo, post-electricity--so they can give us the same cliched "quest to find my daddy/the maguffin" story we've seen a million times before. I can't express just how bored I am by that. I wanted to see the world in the throes of chaos, adapting to the sudden absence of the lifeblood of modern civilization.

I'll probably watch the premiere--and nothing else, unless it defies my expectations and gives me something really unexpected.

I've got mixed feelings about it from the previews, but I'll give it a shot. The eye candy and pseudo-midievalism catch my attention, but without an explanation /why/ *everything* went dark and why one man holds the key to turning things back on, I share some of your worry that it may be a bit one dimensional.

I'm also currently watching another post-apoc show - TNT's Falling Skies. Post alien invasion apocalypse, struggle for survival. Check it out if you haven't already.

Chris.

I'm also currently watching another post-apoc show - TNT's Falling Skies. Post alien invasion apocalypse' date=' struggle for survival. Check it out if you haven't already.[/quote']Now you tell me. :D

I will have to wait for the DVD release or hope that they recycle episodes between seasons. NOT going to start at episode 16, which is the earliest episode on the TNT website.

Now you tell me. :D

I will have to wait for the DVD release or hope that they recycle episodes between seasons. NOT going to start at episode 16, which is the earliest episode on the TNT website.

Sorry. If you have any kind of cable/DVR service, they just recently did a marathon of this season you might be able to catch. You need the first couple episodes to set the scene, but after that it is fairly episodic despite the overarching plot. You could PM me for the basics or maybe IMDB it.

Chris.

Falling Skies- very good stuff.

As to why they don't show the collapse of society- wouldn't that just kill your TV show's budget, and end up being really repetitive? "In this episode, yet more chaos and death."

Also- the jump is 15 years, she isn't searching for her father (he is with her at the start I believe), and she's trying to figure out what to DO with the MacGuffin.... At least that has been my take on what I've seen.

Also also- I thought that they HAD guns, but that ammo was hard enough to rustle up that they heavily emphasized not using it. Not sure.

The trailer showed a pistol being fired, although it looked more like a flintlock than a modern firearm.

I expect not everything will make sense, but as long as it's consistent within itself, I'll be okay with it.

Ok, that makes a little sense then (dont care what guns, just as long as knowledge thereof didnt mysteriously disappear).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok' date=' that makes a little sense then (dont care what guns, just as long as knowledge thereof didnt mysteriously disappear).[/quote']

A bit late to the party but just watched the preview and it piqued my interest so I'll be watching the premier and most likely give it a few episodes to see if it grabs me . . .

I didn't see the pistol but I did catch the rifle and it does look like flintlock or musket so they didn't lose the knowledge, it's just not as widespread and the guns aren't as high tech as we're used to now.

I've just watched the teaser trailer, and to be honest, I'm not seeing much here. It's already stretching my suspension of disbelief that one of the four fundamental forces somehow no longer applies anywhere on the earth. As for the rest of the story, well, it looks marginally better than "Terra Nova".

JoeG

I've just watched the teaser trailer, and to be honest, I'm not seeing much here. It's already stretching my suspension of disbelief that one of the four fundamental forces somehow no longer applies anywhere on the earth. As for the rest of the story, well, it looks marginally better than "Terra Nova".

JoeG

one of 4 fundamental forces? Which one?

15 years is still a really short time to forget that knowledge. Did all the gunsmiths die? Did people forget how to read? 50 years is more credible, but is still stretching it.

I'll just suspend disbelief for now and see how I like the show.

Hmm, and people with such knowledge, would be of premium value.

one of 4 fundamental forces? Which one?

Electromagnetism. Kind of a big one, if you want things like chemistry to work (it's what holds the atoms in a molecule together).

The others are the Weak interaction (which is involved with radioactive beta decay, and has been worked together with electromagnetism to form the Electroweak interaction), Strong interaction (which describes how quarks bond together), and Gravitational interaction (well, you know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction

JoeG

I don't think that electricity no longer works' date=' I think that something is suppressing electrical devices somehow. I am guessing that this is going to be the big mystery as to who and maybe even how.[/quote']

I'm sure that they're going for some mysterious suppression of electrical devices (especially after watching the extended preview with the magic pendant).

I'll give the show a try, but I don't have high hopes for it.

JoeG