Zombie Apocalypse Scenario (Goal) & Mood Setting

Adinecia

Hello there RP Lovers,

I've got a question.

I know most of Role-Play must come from the mind. Using ones imagination and fantasies to get things going.

Playing Medi-evil tavern music in the background does help this along the way.

Of course its easier when ur doing a Fantasy Setting where the heroes are all great and powerful.

I've always been VERY fond of Zombies... Aaaah the joy of seeing someone ripped to shreds by the hungry, smelly and often "i so did not notice them coming" undead.

This joy however loses its touch when RP'd.

Does anyone have any ideas, tactics and or things a GM / Players can do to create the Zombie Apocalypse Mood?!

I also welcome ideas on plot settings and goals players / characters could have during such a campaign. Instead of the usual "i need to find my daughter or wife" scenario.

Kind Regards,

Adinecia

Re: Zombie Apocalypse Scenario (Goal) & Mood Setting

You might want to look at discussions of the horror genre more generally. I think the takeaway is going to be a bit discouraging, though. Players tend not to like the lack of control implied by the horror genre. In an one-off, they'll be cheerfully cynical about losing characters rather than invested and anxious. In a long-running campaign, they expect to win battles, drop xps into combat skills and find Very Big Guns, and will be very unimpressed if a zombie pops out of the closet and bites them.

I'm told that it can work with the right players, but anything can work with the right players,* so I'm not sure that that's the right approach.

*Witness the guys who like the really idiosyncratic settings, like Harn and Glorantha. If you're sufficiently invested in the lore and the challenges presented by the setting, then okay. If that's not your bag, though, the conventions of the dungeon crawl apply. And that means you can't have your zombies eating PCs willy-nilly. Or perhaps at all.