Bio-Booster Armor Guyver

... again. There are several older threads on it, but relatively few writeups of the Guyver units themselves (the Zoanoids are easier), and a couple I saw didn't do it for me.

So, if you know the manga well (or the most recent anime series), will you help me build a Guyver character? I've been trying, but I'm not very good at building stuff yet. I can provide an extensively detailed list of capabilities. For those who don't know it, the basic idea is a biological suit of armor that transforms the wearer into a being of godlike power.

I'd like to use HERO to do a Guyver-based game sometime, but it's trickier than I thought to get this right.

Re: Bio-Booster Armor Guyver

Well, my friend got me HERO Designer and set it up. So what I was doing with it is making Sho Fukamachi in human form, with the Multiform power. Multiform lets you associate another character file with it, so I opened a new character file to represent the Guyver transformed state, with the Multiform power removed from that one. Is that about right so far?

as i understand it the guyver is dormant until sho activates it [think of a smbiotic version of iron mans armor] so only in hero form woud be the right idea

I see a couple potential problems for using OIHID rather than multiform. First, OIHID requires a way of stopping the activation and I don't know if you can do that with the Guyver. The second is the 'regenerate from death' that's possible so long as the control disk is undamaged. Has it been established that this only works in Guyver form? It's been a long time and my memory of the series is a bit fuzzy, so I can't remember if that was even touched on or not.

What is the standard model for listing characters with Multiform? Do you just list the base character (with the Multiform power under her Powers), and then list the stuff the Multiform gives you? Do you do two character sheets, one of normal form and the other with the full transformed character sheet?

Basically, if I have Sho Fukamachi, a low-powered regular character with Strength 10 and stuff, with Multiform, do I just do one sheet where I put a section listing all the traits he gets from Multiform (+35 Str, etc.)? Or do I do a second sheet to show his transformed state with all the changes already factored in?

Also, the Mega-Smasher is turning out quite expensive. 450 active points so far! But I want to get it just right. I have it as an RKA 10d6 right now, line area, with Increased Maximum Range (1500m), 10m height and width, nonselective with Concentration and Gestures (and there will probably be some other limitations).

Typically, with multiform, you do one character sheet for each form.

Also, I would expect the Mega-Smasher to be expensive. However, the 10m height and width seems a little large to me. I don't recall it being 33 feet across. I seem to remember it being only a little larger than man-sized. I'd probably give it Extra Time as it seemed to require a slight warm-up after opening the chamber and probably 1 recoverable charge as it seemed to take a while to re-charge.

Typically, with multiform, you do one character sheet for each form.

Also, I would expect the Mega-Smasher to be expensive. However, the 10m height and width seems a little large to me. I don't recall it being 33 feet across. I seem to remember it being only a little larger than man-sized. I'd probably give it Extra Time as it seemed to require a slight warm-up after opening the chamber and probably 1 recoverable charge as it seemed to take a while to re-charge.

Ah, yes, you're right. I forgot that it has Extra Time (Full Phase), too. I just gave it a huge END cost rather than a charge, but that could work, too.

As far as the size of the blast, it's hard to find a good picture or clip from the anime, but

. The blast did a lot of damage to Mt. Minakami in the manga. I don't mind it being expensive—I just want to accurately capture its capabilities. Some of the issue for me is not knowing what real world figures map to these measurements; I'll have to check the speed, for example. However, I believe the boosts that I have created thus far are accurate.

What's funny is, despite how insanely powerful the Multiform is, this is still just the basic Guyver transformation. Sho Fukamachi, unassuming high school student, barely hits 80 points (and that's stretching it a bit). With the Guyver, he's pushing 1000 points. Someone more dangerous in human form, like Agito Makishima, is correspondingly more dangerous in Guyver mode, too. Zoalords can challenge and even defeat these Guyvers, however, and certain Hyper-Zoanoids and the like can also prove a challenge.

Alcanfel, leader of the Zoalords, makes Guyvers look like weaklings. It's said that even if all 11 other Zoalords attack him in concert, they would lose. The Mega-Smasher is a joke to him. Plus, he looks elfy! ^_^

Ah' date=' yes, you're right. I forgot that it has Extra Time (Full Phase), too. I just gave it a huge END cost rather than a charge, but that could work, too. [/quote']

The main diff between doing it with a large END Cost vs a Charge is that END can be used for other things while the charge would specifically be only for the Mega-Smasher. So, if using the MS leaves him exhausted with less energy for other tricks or he can't use it if he's already expended a lot of energy doing other things, then go with END. Otherwise, I'd recommend a charge.

As far as the size of the blast, it's hard to find a good picture or clip from the anime, but I found a few. The blast did a lot of damage to Mt. Minakami in the manga.

I'm not really familiar with the manga and mostly remember the older anime from the late 80s/early 90s. However, keep in mind the rules for how much area of an object gets destroyed: once you've exceeded the body of a wall, the size of the hole doubles for each +1 BODY (6E2 173). Considering the generally excessive damage of the MS, I'd be willing to apply that rule to a mountain top. So, stone has 10 ED and 19 Body per cubic meter. The average damage roll on your MS write-up is 35 body, or 6 doublings. Even if you just go with a 4m x 4m area to start with, you'll end up at 256m x 256m from the average roll. A quarter-km diameter is a respectable amount of real estate.

What's funny is, despite how insanely powerful the Multiform is, this is still just the basic Guyver transformation. Sho Fukamachi, unassuming high school student, barely hits 80 points (and that's stretching it a bit).

I'd expect him to be pretty much a Competent Normal at best.

With the Guyver, he's pushing 1000 points. Someone more dangerous in human form, like Agito Makishima, is correspondingly more dangerous in Guyver mode, too. Zoalords can challenge and even defeat these Guyvers, however, and certain Hyper-Zoanoids and the like can also prove a challenge.

Sure. You should see some of the Street Fighter and DBZ write-ups on Surbrook's site. Ryu clocks in at near 500 under the 5e rules and Bison ends up near 1000. You can imagine where some of the DBZ characters end up.

Alcanfel, leader of the Zoalords, makes Guyvers look like weaklings. It's said that even if all 11 other Zoalords attack him in concert, they would lose. The Mega-Smasher is a joke to him. Plus, he looks elfy! ^_^

Well, that's the thing about a lot of manga and anime... You start at the ability to casually level a few city blocks for your low end heroes and villains and scale up from there.:P

The main diff between doing it with a large END Cost vs a Charge is that END can be used for other things while the charge would specifically be only for the Mega-Smasher. So' date=' if using the MS leaves him exhausted with less energy for other tricks or he can't use it if he's already expended a lot of energy doing other things, then go with END. Otherwise, I'd recommend a charge.[/quote']

It does leave them pretty drained, generally. It also slows down their Regeneration, which I put as a Side Effect on the Mega-Smasher. Right now, it burns 90 END to do the Mega-Smasher. I think that only allows for doing it once, but I suppose one could recover some END in short order and do it again (being left with nearly nothing). So maybe a charge would work better, and still keep the Side Effect.

I'm not really familiar with the manga and mostly remember the older anime from the late 80s/early 90s. However' date=' keep in mind the rules for how much area of an object gets destroyed: once you've exceeded the body of a wall, the size of the hole doubles for each +1 BODY (6E2 173). Considering the generally excessive damage of the MS, I'd be willing to apply that rule to a mountain top. So, stone has 10 ED and 19 Body per cubic meter. The average damage roll on your MS write-up is 35 body, or 6 doublings. Even if you just go with a 4m x 4m area to start with, you'll end up at 256m x 256m from the average roll. A quarter-km diameter is a respectable amount of real estate.[/quote']

The OVA was pretty bad, so hopefully that's not the one you saw. There was an older series that didn't cover much, but had some interesting stuff. The newer, 26-episode anime is much better, though it still only goes so far, but at least you get to the Guyver Gigantic and the epic battle between Gyro and Alcanfel.

I'd expect him to be pretty much a Competent Normal at best.

Yeah, I gave him a few extra points in some physical abilities like running and swimming, since he's got a bit of natural athlete, I think. And I gave him a couple points in Ego, since he's got a bit of the strong-willed shonen hero thing going on. Overall, though, very few points. Then he turns into a walking engine of destruction!

Oh, that reminds me. I have one last thing to model, I think, then I can post it for review: the ability of the Guyver to take control when the host is unconscious or technically dead (but regenerating).

Also, the Vibroblades ended up being really expensive, too. But that's because they're really, really strong. The Guyver one-shots Zoanoids and Hyper-Zoanoids with them. Most normal animals would be dead in one hit, even an African elephant. I'm afraid I'm having a hard time parsing the "adding damage to advantaged attacks" section of the rules, though. I know that the advantages on the Vibroblades make it so that the 45 Strength only adds 1d6 damage to the HKA, instead of 3d6, but I can't really grok why.

Sure. You should see some of the Street Fighter and DBZ write-ups on Surbrook's site. Ryu clocks in at near 500 under the 5e rules and Bison ends up near 1000. You can imagine where some of the DBZ characters end up.

Oh yeah. I had someone make a sample Super Saiyan in 6E that clocked in at like 1900 points and was just ridiculous.

Well' date=' that's the thing about a lot of manga and anime... You start at the ability to casually level a few city blocks for your low end heroes and villains and scale up from there.:P[/quote']

Yeah, by the time we hit Guyver Gigantic and Alcanfel levels... I have no idea what the points will be, but the amount will be ungodly.

So, I'm not quite sure how to model the Guyver's self-defense mode. Basically, for those who aren't familiar with it, in the transformed state, if the Guyver's host is incapacitated, the unit itself will take over control until the host regains consciousness. It acts with ruthless efficiency, destroying anything nearby that it deems a threat. The armor also won't release until its host is healed enough that he or she can survive—in Guyver mode, you might have much of your chest blasted out. While transformed, you can survive this, and will regenerate. If the armor was to release and revert you to human form, you'd die, so it won't release until you're healed enough.

The best example is when Sho Fukamachi, Guyver I, was attacked by his own father, who had been unwillingly transformed into a Zoanoid. Sho wouldn't fight back, and ultimately the Zoanoid, Enzyme, smashed out most of his skull and brain. The Guyver was down, and within it, Sho was technically dead. However, since the control metal was intact, the Guyver was slowly regenerating Sho's damaged brain. In the meantime, the Guyver was still able to act (since its AI is based in the control metal), and it quickly destroyed Enzyme, since it saw not Sho's father, but only a threat.

Would Intelligence limited to only being active in certain situations cover this?

Berserk?

Close, but doesn't quite fit. The Guyver unit, when it's in control, isn't berserk, just coldly calculating. It doesn't forgo defense, just tries to kill any nearby enemies as quickly as possible (like with the Mega-Smasher). It's like an AI or something, that only comes online in certain situations—when the host is dead or unconscious but the Guyver unit still functions.

Also, is there a way for regular HTH attacks to do killing damage? Like, with just regular punches and grapples, the Guyver is strong enough to break bones and so on, doing lethal damage.

Not really that hard of a build once you take a look at just what the Environment is, and how the numbers relate. I think I have, 3 or 4 versions based on the Manga (Including the Guyver Gigantic), in 3 Editions of Champions/Hero. Not to mention Cyberpunk, Mekton Zeta and Fuzion.

Either way fun looking thread. Marked it to keep track of it.

~Rex

I got a bunch of stuff I need to post plus a few things need to be converted but sure. Gonna have to wait till I get done with the work pile though. Another Glorious Day in the Chemical Plant approaches and I need to get some Medication induced Sleep before I start ordering Ikea stuff off the Home Shopping Network....

~Rex....will do it as a "starting" 6e build first most likely.

It does leave them pretty drained' date=' generally. It also slows down their Regeneration, which I put as a Side Effect on the Mega-Smasher. Right now, it burns 90 END to do the Mega-Smasher. I think that only allows for doing it once, but I suppose one could recover some END in short order and do it again (being left with nearly nothing). So maybe a charge would work better, and still keep the Side Effect.[/quote'] Hmmm... In that case you might consider both a charge and the high END cost. While charge normally supersedes the need for END, as I recall there's a way to do both.
The OVA was pretty bad, so hopefully that's not the one you saw. There was an older series that didn't cover much, but had some interesting stuff. The newer, 26-episode anime is much better, though it still only goes so far, but at least you get to the Guyver Gigantic and the epic battle between Gyro and Alcanfel.
No, it wasn't the OVA. As I recall, there were two different series (I want to say Bio-Booster Armor Guyver and Guyver: Out of Control) which both covered the same thing but G:OoC being bloodier and less coherent[1]. I do remember the series being fun but leaving a lot of unanswered questions, but that was pretty typical of anime at the time.
Also, the Vibroblades ended up being really expensive, too. But that's because they're really, really strong. The Guyver one-shots Zoanoids and Hyper-Zoanoids with them. Most normal animals would be dead in one hit, even an African elephant. I'm afraid I'm having a hard time parsing the "adding damage to advantaged attacks" section of the rules, though. I know that the advantages on the Vibroblades make it so that the 45 Strength only adds 1d6 damage to the HKA, instead of 3d6, but I can't really grok why.

I assume it has lots of Penetrating or Armor Piercing. Heck, I might give it a "lightsaber" build (AVAD + Does Body).

As for the adding damage rules, it's because you're effectively adding all those same advantages onto your STR when you add in STR damage to your HKA.

[1] - We'll pretend the live-action movies never happened.

So, I'm not quite sure how to model the Guyver's self-defense mode. Basically, for those who aren't familiar with it, in the transformed state, if the Guyver's host is incapacitated, the unit itself will take over control until the host regains consciousness. It acts with ruthless efficiency, destroying anything nearby that it deems a threat. The armor also won't release until its host is healed enough that he or she can survive—in Guyver mode, you might have much of your chest blasted out. While transformed, you can survive this, and will regenerate. If the armor was to release and revert you to human form, you'd die, so it won't release until you're healed enough.

The best example is when Sho Fukamachi, Guyver I, was attacked by his own father, who had been unwillingly transformed into a Zoanoid. Sho wouldn't fight back, and ultimately the Zoanoid, Enzyme, smashed out most of his skull and brain. The Guyver was down, and within it, Sho was technically dead. However, since the control metal was intact, the Guyver was slowly regenerating Sho's damaged brain. In the meantime, the Guyver was still able to act (since its AI is based in the control metal), and it quickly destroyed Enzyme, since it saw not Sho's father, but only a threat.

Would Intelligence limited to only being active in certain situations cover this?

I would build this as a "Computer" with some fairly limited skills and "programs". If you have the right books, some of the starship computers that can work as autopilots should give you an idea of where to start.

Also' date=' is there a way for regular HTH attacks to do killing damage? Like, with just regular punches and grapples, the Guyver is strong enough to break bones and so on, doing lethal damage.[/quote']

Well, with enough regular STR, you'll do that. Remember a normal human is only going to have 2-8 PD. So, doing 10+ normal damage is going to get Body through. You can increase this by either having extra STR or HA for certain "maneuvers".

Now, it will need to be quite a bit extra to do that to a Zoanoid due to the higher Body and PD, so if you want to make the STR Killing, you'd basically have to add an HKA to the build for the appropriate amount of damage. That's basically the way Martial Arts in the Hero System model lethal attacks.

Also, the Mega-Smasher is turning out quite expensive. 450 active points so far! But I want to get it just right. I have it as an RKA 10d6 right now, line area, with Increased Maximum Range (1500m), 10m height and width, nonselective with Concentration and Gestures (and there will probably be some other limitations).

That seems a bit too powerful for the Mega-Smasher. Be aware that the realm of a 1 kilo-ton nuclear explosion is around 13D6K damage. Has the author listed the power output of the Mega-Smasher in any supplemental material? Granted, it's been years since I've read the manga. Saw about half of the newer version of the series a few years ago (I would like to get it on DVD or Blu Ray eventually). I would probably make the Mega-Smasher around 7D6K with copious amounts of Armor Piercing and Penetrating. I would even consider AVLD (Force Field) Does Body for it. Is the beam it fires really 10 meters high?

I would build the Vibroblades as 3D6 HKA with double Armor Piercing. The typical Zoanoid should have hardened Armor or Resistant Defenses so that normal soldiers even with AP round would be very ineffective against them, but the Guyver's vibroblades cut through them like butter.

I think there have been three Guyver Animations; Guyver: Out of Control which was a 1-shot movie, a 12-episode OAV series based on the first 4 volumes of the manga and the newer 26 episode tv series based on the first 10 volumes of the manga. Many old skool anime fans probably prefer the older 12 episode OAV series as that is what gave The Guyver it's status outside of Japan. The manga was less well-known over here (though fans of the anime probably eventually read the manga). I personally prefer the newer 26 episode series because it was a bit more faithful to the manga than the OAV series and was better executed IMO.