Since CoH is gone...

Alric

Re: Since CoH is gone...

All:

I'm just curious to make sure I am fully understanding what is going on w/ Paragon Studios, NCSoft, and the Champions Online development.

CoH is closing down development along w/ Paragon Studios, yet, NCSoft is working on Champions Online as the MMORG following the ruleset?

Unfortunately, due to time restraints, I never had a chance to sit down and enjoy the game, although I had seen the previews of it.

Reason why I am asking about the Champions Online piece, is because I was interested in discussing a business proposal w/ NCSoft, or whomever is taking this on.

Also, where does Cryptic Studios play all into this? Were they the original group that created the game?

Apologies for my ignorance here, just wanting to fully understand the history, where they are, and where they plan to go, as I may have a valid proposal of them.

Much appreciated for anyone to give me an abridged, yet reasonably accurate timeline and path.

Thanks...

Chuck D.

Cryptic originally developed CoH with NCSoft.

Some years back, Cryptic and NCSoft had a falling out over CoH. NCSoft took over completely, Cryptic never had anything to do with the title from that point on, and Paragon Studios took over development of the title.

Cryptic then developed Champions as its own separate IP.

NCSoft decided to dump CoH, and Paragon Studios was let go. Cryptic remains in business, publishing CO with the Chinese-based PWE. NCSoft has nothing to do with CO or PWE.

That's the situation in a nutshell.

Actually' date=' Cryptic is running Champions Online and they don't use the ruleset as the basis for the game, just the IP from the game universe.[/quote']

Cryptic is only using the name of the game, the villains (often only in name) and so on. The ruleset of Champions is the backbone of the game, namely the HeroGames rules but they don't use it. They use the statistic names but it holds little resemblance to the HeroGames version. My hero with a 50 Strength for 10d6 Damage will not be doing that in Champions Online but a different type of damage (eventually doing over 1000 health damage in CO as you level). I'll say no more, as it diverts away from this topic.

• 2 months later...

I'll be blunt: I'm far too bitter about NCSoft's "d*** move" to play another superhero MMO without a great deal of resentment' date=' right now. This is especially true when a) CO always felt more like an arcade "fighter" game than a genuine MMO, and B) I trust Cryptic and PWE almost as little. Which is 0.01% above "none", honestly.[/quote']

I'm not that bitter towards Cryptic/PWE yet. But I'll never give NCSoft another chance. Their decision to pull the plug on CoH/CoV was enough to pass on GW2. Will also pass on Wildstar. It looked worth a look to me, but I'm done with NCSoft.

I'll be blunt: I'm far too bitter about NCSoft's "d*** move" to play another superhero MMO without a great deal of resentment' date=' right now. This is especially true when a) CO always felt more like an arcade "fighter" game than a genuine MMO, and B) I trust Cryptic and PWE almost as little. Which is 0.01% above "none", honestly.[/quote']

Agreed.

From my Facebook: Screw NCSoft. I can understand not wanting the game since it didn't make *enough* money for them. but to kill it outright instead of selling it was uncalled for.

Will also pass on Wildstar. It looked worth a look to me' date=' but I'm done with NCSoft.[/quote']

I knew I was done doing any new business with NCSoft after the way they basically crapped on Aion's entire North American player base. As such, as interesting as they looked, I knew I was never touching Wildstar or GW2 from the moment they were announced. Obviously, the end of CoH has not improved my position.

Pictures taken with my phone right after the end. I figured I'd give it a try just to see what would happen, and maybe it was the world's worst "April Fool's" type joke.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45263[/ATTACH]

I've never seen them completely grey before. Not even during server maintenance times (afaicr).

I figured I'd give it a try just to see what would happen' date=' and maybe it was the world's worst "April Fool's" type joke.[/quote']

I think one of the people on the Massive Online Anthropology Youtube channel had it right; people would be flying to Korea to punch NCSoft in the face if it was just a joke.

Golden Girl and MondoCool are behind that website. It seems to consist of two or three people.

Try looking at Plan Z: The Phoenix Project: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?board=138.0 There seems to be more support there.

Thanks. I was about to correct that. Got confused when GG took the Plan Z name with her.

On the same note, what other MMOs do folks here play? My current ones, in no particular order, are:

LotRO - Gladden server - mains: Aranelion, Caelwald, Gildarion

Rift - Faeblight server - main: Bloodspeaker

TSW - main: Shinzo

STO - global: @Captain_Thiraas

City of Heroes' date=' you shall be missed.[/quote']

Champions Online has improved immeasurably since its early days, that said I do miss several of the features of CoH.

Marvel is "just about ready" for another MMO stab.

Heh.

CO has me inspired enough I will likely buy the PnP Champions for my son.

Champions Online has improved immeasurably since its early days, that said I do miss several of the features of CoH.

Marvel is "just about ready" for another MMO stab.

Heh.

CO has me inspired enough I will likely buy the PnP Champions for my son.

I'm inclined to agree, it'd be nice if they'd just license it to an engine holder that has established game mechanics.

Sad, but what can one do?