Grimoire: Elemental Earth spell - Create Tower

bluesguy

This spell is written up as a summon:

Create Tower: Summon 300-point tower, Expanded Class of Beings (any type of stone tower or like structure; +1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (135 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), OAF Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; miniature gold tower, studded with gems; -2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; Earth Magic; -1/2)

If it was summon demons/monsters/bunny rabbits I could look them up in a book and have some stats.

But a tower? How do you build a tower? Do you use the building base rules? If so that is one big tower!

Suggestions and help please.

Re: Grimoire: Elemental Earth spell - Create Tower

Yeah, from what I've read, the spell summons a tower built with the Base rules. You might want to check out the Ultimate Base, it has expanded rules, and helpful tips on creating a Fantasy HERO base (among those of other Genres). Another Possibility would be to build a smaller version with a combination of Barrier/Life Support, I suppose, but without taking a good look at it, and knowing just what functionality/use the tower would have, it's kind of hard to see which would be a cheaper build . . . Also, remember that first and foremost, the spells in the Grimoire are meant to be guidelines and time savers, not the "official" word on how to do something, so the player could very easily reduce the amount of points used to build the base, or use the Barrier/Life Support idea, if they didn't need something as big as what the spell, as written, suggests.

Also, you might want to take a look at Fantasy Hero Battle Grounds, or Castles and Sieges (if you don't have The Ultimate Base, it's just the Fantasy HERO exerpt, and fairly cheap on the online store).

This looks like a pretty standard, "Archmage decides it's time to settle down and build a tower that will be explored by adventurers a century from now" spell. Yes, it's going to be quite a tower. But I don't think we're talking about 'Guard Tower #14, over on the northwest corner of the castle". We're talking about, "I'm Elminster and I don't intend to spend the next 2 centuries using this as my primary hangout without life's little amenities, like 12 different research labs and a griffin stable."

Question: I don't have this book (still on 5e here), is that 300 points before or after the division by 5 for bases? Because an actual 6000 point tower would be pretty darn impressive.

Also, I think it's interesting that a Summon is used. I would have tried to model the approximate body and then used Transform to build a tower from scratch.

The 6E write-up says "Summon one tower built on up to 300 Total Points . . ." and without the Advantages, you're paying 60 Active Points, giving you the 300 Active Points to play with, which is technically the same cost as purchasing Base straight up . . . so, no, you don't get the 5-for-1 exchange a second time. That would be too much.