Planetary Value?

Asperion

In a society where people can go from one planet to another at will (like we cross the street), what is the incentive for someone to try to save the planet that they are living on? After all in such a society if the planet that someone is living on gets to the point that it is unlivable (or encounters the Death Star), simply gather your stuff and move onto another planet that will allow you to live in some manner.

Don't forget the toilet paper! :whistle:

Re: Planetary Value?

Well, that would depend on a variety of other assumptions.

Even if going to another planet were very simple and cheap, that doesn't necessarily make planets common. Sure, it's easy to go from planet X to planet Y - but if that's all you've got...

Also, people don't live in isolation. We need various things to stay alive - air, water, food. All of which seem to be a lot easier to get on life bearing planets than anywhere else.

Finally, don't forget about human-instituted barriers. Just because you can get into your starship and fly to planet illudium-phosdex physically, doesn't mean you can legally.

In a society where people can go from one planet to another at will (like we cross the street), what is the incentive for someone to try to save the planet that they are living on? After all in such a society if the planet that someone is living on gets to the point that it is unlivable (or encounters the Death Star), simply gather your stuff and move onto another planet that will allow you to live in some manner.

In a society where people can go from one house to another at will (like we cross the street), what is the incentive for someone to save the house that they are living in?

Lucius Alexander

Why did the palindromedary cross the road?

In a society where there are multiple planets people live on, there will be multiple 'planetary cultures' on top of regional/historical cultural differences. Why move to a planet with a different culture if you are still comfortable with your own? Why move from the place you've spent your life to that point on? Why abandon your home if there is a chance it can be saved?

In a society where people can go from one house to another at will (like we cross the street), what is the incentive for someone to save the house that they are living in?

Lucius Alexander

Why did the palindromedary cross the road?

That's how I view it. A world isn't just a place to sleep and keep your stuff. It's your home. You have an emotional attachment to it, especially if you, or your ancestors, have worked to make it livable and built living monuments to your efforts and heritage.

If it's suitable to live on, then it has value as real estate, plus whatever natural resources are available there. Actually the resources are probably the most valuable part, if you have the technology to make use of them.

Any society where the energy was available to make interstellar travel as easy as crossing the street presumably has control of sufficient energy that they could just build new planets/habitats. So it'd be annoying (maybe even traumatic) but hardly catastrophic.

Just think.

"Flash, Flash, Mong's going to destroy the planet!"

"Well, I guess we'd better leave then."

"But ... but .. he'll destroy the planet! Aren't you going to fight?"

(rolling eyes) "Let me guess: you didn't back up your stuff, did you?"

:)

cheers, Mark

That's how I view it. A world isn't just a place to sleep and keep your stuff. It's your home. You have an emotional attachment to it' date=' especially if you, or your ancestors, have worked to make it livable and built living monuments to your efforts and heritage.[/quote']

Specifically, you have an attachment to the umpteen quadrillions in unrealised capital value when you sell. Ain't no-one getting in the way of you putting your planet on the market when you retire so you can afford to move to New Florida, hitch your pants up high, wear a hat when you drive, and complain about the Galactic Empire full time.

Changing dwellings is unlikely to be as simple as crossing the street for anyone except the most destitute folks. We humans do a lot of territory maring rituals, and it takes a while to pee in the corners enough so a new place smells right.

A question, then, for you, the person reading this now. You learn that the Earth will be destroyed in a few years, with absolute certainty... unless you, along with everyone else on the planet, works very hard over those years to avert its doom, making considerable sacrifices and facing no small amount of hardship. However, you're presented with an alternative: you, your loved ones, and every other human being on the planet can be transported to another world, as habitable and resource-rich as this one, where you can start your life again. Facilities are already in place on that planet to make life much easier than it would be while you were trying to save the Earth. However, you can bring only small items of personal property. Every building and monument, every animal and plant species on Earth (barring your pets which you can bring along), will be lost forever.

It's given to you to make that choice for the whole world. What do you choose?

A question, then, for you, the person reading this now. You learn that the Earth will be destroyed in a few years, with absolute certainty... unless you, along with everyone else on the planet, works very hard over those years to avert its doom, making considerable sacrifices and facing no small amount of hardship. However, you're presented with an alternative: you, your loved ones, and every other human being on the planet can be transported to another world, as habitable and resource-rich as this one, where you can start your life again. Facilities are already in place on that planet to make life much easier than it would be while you were trying to save the Earth. However, you can bring only small items of personal property. Every building and monument, every animal and plant species on Earth (barring your pets which you can bring along), will be lost forever.

I am a person who is reading this. Right now. When I read this, I was reminded of people who refuse to leave their homes even in the face of certain disaster. I've seen people, locally, refuse to evacuate in the face of advancing forest fires and at least one of the people who died in the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens did so because he refused to leave his home no matter what.

Given that you stated that hard work would defenitely save the Earth, I'm certain that a large percentage of the human race would choose to do so rather than run like cowards. My children are old enough now that I can think of myself instead of them and I'd like to think that I'd be with the people working to save our home.

Interesting question.

If I understand it, the choice to stay includes the risk of failure. If the Earth's population fails to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices, the planet is doomed in any case.

I love the Earth, it means the world to me. But if the only way to save it is for "everyone else" to prioritize long term planetary preservation, then - it won't get saved. I've lived on this planet long enough to know the locals well enough to realize that far too many of them are perfectly wiling to drive right over the edge of a cliff not caring or not knowing how many others they take with them.

Lucius Alexander

Taking a palindromedary with me

Woohoo! A new planet? Awesome!

cheers, Mark

Maybe we're going about this the wrong way. Everyone who's not willing to buckle down and work to save the planet should be encouraged to leave. They can go screw up another one; the grown-ups will be along in good time to clean up their mess. Anyone who's convinced the planet's in no danger at all should just GTFO. (No cure for stupidity.) Once the deadweight and naysayers are out of the way, I reckon that saving the planet will be orders of magnitude easier.

That depends... Do I have the power to enforce my choice?

I don't trust humanity to do what must be done without a a ruthless captain at the helm.

L:acking that, the only chance of survival is to abandon ship.

I'd say move, and leave the world to only me. :sneaky:

Something that seems obvious' date=' but maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. If your economy is two planets and you cut that in half, that's a really bad thing, isn't it? Presumably it's cheaper to try to avert catastrophe than it is to lose that much population, production, and capital.[/quote']

No, no. First you put the planet in the bank, and then you cut in half. Then you lend out the half to investors. Just so long as you don't get tempted to lend the half over and over again, leading to fractional planet lending and a flood of low-value planets leading to inflation that punishes worthy savers, because in that case you were probably better off keeping your planet and using it to store your gold.