MHI Hunter Template

Icarium

I've got a similar post on a different section of the forums (http://www.herogames.com/forums/show...unter-Template

) but thought bringing it over here might start some more discussion...

MHI Monster Hunter Template:

[TABLE=width: 454]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]Cost

[/TD]

[TD]

Ability

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]2[/TD]

[TD]

+2 STR

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

+2 CON

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]4[/TD]

[TD]

+2 DEX

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

Running +2m

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]4[/TD]

[TD]

CSL: +2 OCV with firearm of choice

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

KS: Bestiary (11)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

PS: Monster Hunter (11)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD]

Tactics

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

WF: Small Arms

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD]

Enhanced Perception +1 to PER Roll

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

6 points’ worth of Skills from the following list:

• Autofire Skills
  • Climbing
  • Combat Skill Levels
  • Concealment
  • Demolitions
  • Fast Draw
  • Martial Arts
  • Paramedics
  • Combat Skill Levels
  • Stealth
  • Survival
  • Weapon Familiarity
  • …or ask the GM if the skill you want is applicable

If the character already has any of the abilities or skills in the package give them the option of increasing their skill level or choosing an advanced version of the appropriate ability or skill.

Total Cost Of Package Abilities: 32

Complications:

• Harmful Secret; The character has to keep their Monster Hunting Career a secret from everyone: +10 Frequently, +5 Major [15 points]
  • Subject To Orders; The character is a MHI employee: +15 Very Frequently, +5 Major [20 points]
  • Rivalry; The Govt' Monster Hunter Bureau is in direct competition with MHI and it's employees: +5 Professional, +10 Rival is Significantly More Powerful than character [15 points]

Total complications: 50

New Skills:

Knowledge Skill: Bestiary

• [*=1]The general study of the behavior, anatomy, and physiology of monster species. Use this skill to identify a known monster based on traces or parts of that monster, list the habits and qualities of a known monster, or classify and predict the attributes of an unknown monster based on the same data. Also can identify the weakness of a known monster.

Professional Skill: Monster Hunter

• [*=1]Knows the main weaknesses of and effective tactics against all kinds of monsters.

Re: MHI Hunter Template

Good one!

Some type of Psychological Complication, either a fear of or hatred for a specific monster type would fit very well and you could play with the frequency and intensity of the complication to make it anywhere from a 5 point to 25 point complication... although a 25 point Psychological Complication might be a stretch, not sure you could classify any monster as very common?

Good one!

Some type of Psychological Complication, either a fear of or hatred for a specific monster type would fit very well and you could play with the frequency and intensity of the complication to make it anywhere from a 5 point to 25 point complication... although a 25 point Psychological Complication might be a stretch, not sure you could classify any monster as very common?

I don't think fear is right unless the character has been completely broken like the guys in the asylum. maybe Hate of x from 5 points which is something like will target this monster first unless something else is in the way to 25 points which is will berserk and assault this monster above all others no matter the cost.

CES

I don't think fear is right unless the character has been completely broken like the guys in the asylum. maybe Hate of x from 5 points which is something like will target this monster first unless something else is in the way to 25 points which is will berserk and assault this monster above all others no matter the cost.

CES

Totally agree that makes sense...

Flexible Minds. Monster Hunters don't snap in the face of Reality checks. Couple of different was to build that but Defensive Presence is a good start.

So this would be a Characteristics power, something similar to the Presence Defense sample in 6E1 page 178?

Presence Defense: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only To Protect Against Presence Attacks (-1). Total cost: 10 points.

Yeah pretty much, but don't over look the simple stuff such as having A higher Ego and Presence Baseline as well, not to mention things like Resistance and what not. A lot of the characters (Not just Owen), go through Extreme encounters before they even get to be a Hunter and they survive and even Triumph in some cases, even when the guy in the next cubicle doing the same job or with the same background and ability, simply snaps and ends up gibbering "lunch" ....

~Rex

I havent read the Monster Hunter books yet... going to pick them up this week, somebody mentioned Bureau 13, how do Monster Hunter and Bureau 13 compare settingwise if at all?

I have all the Bureau 13 books

Bureau 13 has a lot of magic, secret cabals, magicians, with the heroes working for the government and duking it out.

MHI has monsters on a bounty list, a government bureau covering things up ala Men in Black, independent monster hunter groups, and magic loaned out by eldritch abominations.

MHI is a little bit grittier as most things are more personal to the characters.

CES

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah pretty much, but don't over look the simple stuff such as having A higher Ego and Presence Baseline as well, not to mention things like Resistance and what not. A lot of the characters (Not just Owen), go through Extreme encounters before they even get to be a Hunter and they survive and even Triumph in some cases, even when the guy in the next cubicle doing the same job or with the same background and ability, simply snaps and ends up gibbering "lunch" ....

~Rex

MHI is more based on supernatural entities being less super and more natural. They rely more on mundane guns and explody-bits and don't have magic swords and potions and Jin, etc (not to say those things don't exist - just the teams rely more on mundane weapons / tactics and lots of silver bullets).

Another difference is MHI is a corporation not a Government agency (Which does exist in the setting and they butt heads with a lot).

Were there more than 2 Bureau 13 books? I only read 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Were there more than 2 Bureau 13 books? I only read 2.

3 originally, theres a 4th now, and a 5th being written

Bureau 13: Judgement Night

Bureau 13: Doomsday Exam

Bureau 13: Full Moonster

Bureau 13: Damned Nation

Damned Nation goes back to talk about the founding of the bureau though

Nick hasnt given us a title for the 5th book yet

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the heroes game system and am using a book published back in 1989. Add to that, I just finished the 4th book in the MHI series. Your template really looks good. But I have some questions. First, will I need to purchase the 6th edition core rule books and if so, where can I get them? My local game shop doesn't have them. Second, what is the point base for MHI characters - that is, are they heroic or superheroic? Thanks!

Second, what is the point base for MHI characters - that is, are they heroic or superheroic?

MHI RPG characters are Heroic Characters built on 200 Total Points, including 50 points' worth of Matching Complications. The official MHI Template (which is very different from the fan-created one posted above) spends some of those points automatically, and also provides (IIRC) 35 points' worth of the Complications. There are also Racial Templates for campaigns where the GM allows players to play orcs, gnomes, or the like. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to the heroes game system and am using a book published back in 1989. Add to that' date=' I just finished the 4th book in the MHI series. Your template really looks good. But I have some questions. First, will I need to purchase the 6th edition core rule books and if so, where can I get them? My local game shop doesn't have them. Second, what is the point base for MHI characters - that is, are they heroic or superheroic? Thanks![/quote']

I have just finished reading through the PDF, and it is awesome!

If you haven't gotten it already through the Kickstarter project, I highly recommend you buy the MHI RPG as soon as it's available--probably the PDR will be for sale to everyone in late May when the physical books have shipped to the Kickstarter supporters--and you do not have to buy any other books to start using it.

The gun section is huge and covers gun smithing in some detail and the monsters are great too, including playable races. The organization descriptions are great too and the PUFF descriptions go well beyond just a list to describe not only what a monster hunter needs to know but a monster as well.

€‹I found hilarious the comments on how some monsters feel about the amount of the PUFF reward for them in comparison to other monsters.